News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
also, if you ever been on a subway train and it had to stop somewhere in a tunnel due to a delay or some other excuse, chances are that somebody just killed themselves (or tried to). if you're ever on a stopped or delayed train, don't get upset about your delay and hope that it really was equipment failure, etc.

Medical emergencies can be caused by stuff like heart attacks and seizures, too, you know. (Having seen elderly being attended to and/or wheeled away, I know.)

And your clearly ignorant.
It's spelled "you're". :)

It's the most obscene suggestion to improve transit in Toronto I have ever heard. Perhaps we should carry out other practices that are done in other parts of the world, such as executing women who have sex out of wedlock, our cutting the clitorises off little girls.
This is apples to oranges. Both of those practices are condemned by the UN and most countries, the latter actually officially falls under torture.

Then I suggest you get a education before you start making any further prejudiced comments on mental illness.

Next thing you'll be claiming that suicide barriers don't do anything to reduce the suicide rate! LOL
There's nothing prejudiced about it, and shows ignorance on your part. It's about responsibility. It isn't fair to anybody, whether that be TTC staff, riders, taxpayers, you name it, that should be paying the costs for these subway suicides. If they're in the mental health system, OK, sure, that's why we have free healthcare, because taxes pay for that, and generally people like that idea. However, if they're going to be throwing themselves in front of subways, sorry, no dice.

Why should suicides be put on a pedestal? It doesn't make sense.

You need to broaden your horizons. It's the fact that I've globe-trotted a bit that I can think outside the box.

Oh, and the suicide barrier on Prince Edward Viaduct doesn't do anything to the suicide rate at all... they all just moved to Leaside Bridge. No joke.

Last edited:
1) if something is done somewhere else in the world, it automatically becomes non-outrageous?
Well it certainly isn't "new" when it's been done elsewhere.

2) families should be responsible? even for something that might not actually have anything to do with them?
There has to be a next of kin somewhere that does have something to do with them.
3) do you think most people that throw themselves in front of a train would care about a financial burden (suicide fine) on their families as a consequence of their suicide if they don't even care about the emotional burden brought on by the actual death its self?
They should. I don't think most men think about the emotional burden anyway, considering differences in brain structure between sexes. For women, which are more likely to think about the emotional burden, it may not have as much an impact on.

5) you think someone throwing themselves in front of a car or truck on the 401 won't inconvenience tens of thousands of people?
First off, only a lane or two would be shut down, so traffic would still move (it has 8 lanes in each direction!!). Second, people can use alternate roads. Third, it is far more complicated to get through alternate transit arrangements when the subway is shut down since the subway carries so many people and is impossible to supplement.

6) if you're so concerned about the inconvenience, maybe you can write a letter to the ttc asking them to ignore jumpers and keep the trains going. have them clean up the mess when the subway shuts down. tell them that you're a really busy guy and you can't wait 20 minutes for a crew to collect the contents of a former human. try to sell them the idea that since your time is so precious, maybe you can collect some of the newly available body parts and sell them on the black market to make up for your lost productivity.
You cannot just ignore the suicide because you have to ensure critical systems like brakes etc., are still working before the train continues operation. You also have to change crew at a place probably not designed to change crew. You have to clean up the scene on the spot for a myriad of obvious other reasons.
I'll ignore the rest of your sarcastic comments.

People here like to point to Tokyo as a model to be envied and followed, like their platform doors (which only a very small handful of lines actually have), yet when it comes to their policies on suicides on the system, all of a sudden the model cannot possibly be discussed?! That's hypocritical of a large number of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back