News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Whitemud Dr. work

Changes to Pathway Plans​

Based on technical requirements, safety considerations, and feedback from community engagement in early 2022, the shared pathway will now be separate from the Terwillegar Drive roadway and interchange.

A new pedestrian bridge will be constructed over Anthony Henday Drive between Terwillegar Drive and Rabbit Hill Road. This bridge will connect the recently completed Stage One shared pathway with Ambleside, east of Currents of Windermere. This is a change from the initial design shared in 2022.

"......and the interchange at Terwillegar Drive/170 Street will be improved to better handle traffic flow."

Huh? Interchange at Terwillegar and 170st? That is merely an intersection.......no interchange here....

Struggling to understand this new bridge. Is this what they mean?

If so, what a horribly inefficient detour for getting to anything along terwillegar/170st.

Easily a 10-15min biking detour if you were try to access say upper windemere from NW of the henday here. If they’re building a fully separated path, why not keep it at least close to the alignment??

78F0F0F5-779D-4171-8397-026C869E9F4D.jpeg

Struggling to understand this new bridge. Is this what they mean?

If so, what a horribly inefficient detour for getting to anything along terwillegar/170st.

Easily a 10-15min biking detour if you were try to access say upper windemere from NW of the henday here. If they’re building a fully separated path, why not keep it at least close to the alignment??

View attachment 565950
The path follows 156 south of 23rd, not Terwillegar.

I think it will be like this:
Screenshot_20240522-135808.png

The path follows 156 south of 23rd, not Terwillegar.

I think it will be like this:
View attachment 565961
Was just about to draw this also, except I think they'll run the bridge a little more SE and have it closer to the Ambleside roundabout. But overall, despite there being nice MUPs throughout Ambleside, they've built it without any real consideration for an easy MUP connector into the neighbourhood from the east.

Be nice if they could provide some high level conceptual drawings--detailed design was supposed to have been complete 6+ months ago. Why the secrecy?

Was just about to draw this also, except I think they'll run the bridge a little more SE and have it closer to the Ambleside roundabout. But overall, despite there being nice MUPs throughout Ambleside, they've built it without any real consideration for an easy MUP connector into the neighbourhood from the east.

Be nice if they could provide some high level conceptual drawings--detailed design was supposed to have been complete 6+ months ago. Why the secrecy?
This is pretty disappointing. Major detour for those trying to get west of 170th street/terwillegar from south of henday to north.

The original crossings were super dangerous too. But this is pretty inconvenient…

Rabbit hill road already connects here with a MUP. this might be 3mins more direct. But likely 10-15mins detour vs a terwillegar alignment…

Looks like the shared use path will hug the new auto bridge to me, plus have a connection from existing onto 156 St.

View attachment 566176

From Stage 3 overview plan: https://www.edmonton.ca/sites/default/files/public-files/TDS3-Overview.pdf?cb=1716497592 / https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_plans/terwillegar_drive/stage-three
I think this is the original design. Which was also bad cause you basically had a MUP crossing 5 roads. All of which have traffic travelling 80+ km/hr and most of them involving turns where blind spots from car window frames are worse and when people are looking the opposite of their turn (look left while turning right is a classic kill move).

So changing this is good. But moving the alignment so far away is not good because it now dramatically changes the utility and efficiency of this route/biking. And essentially leaves west terwillegar and windemere not served, while doubling up the rabbit hill road service for terwillegar towne/chapelle.

EBAFF14F-F0A9-45C9-B560-7FAE4BC59388.jpeg

I think this is the original design. Which was also bad cause you basically had a MUP crossing 5 roads. All of which have traffic travelling 80+ km/hr and most of them involving turns where blind spots from car window frames are worse and when people are looking the opposite of their turn (look left while turning right is a classic kill move).

So changing this is good. But moving the alignment so far away is not good because it now dramatically changes the utility and efficiency of this route/biking. And essentially leaves west terwillegar and windemere not served, while doubling up the rabbit hill road service for terwillegar towne/chapelle.

View attachment 566177
Hmm, yeah looks like you're right, the PDF does seem outdated based on that.

View attachment 566177
Neighborhoods west of Terwillegar will eventually have the path under the Henday bridge over the river.

Back