News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

It’s true, we try to exercise away our fat, when it’s intake that we need to manage. I regularly go on 25 km bicycle rides, where I might burn 700 calories, which I can put pack on with a trio of cookies or a burger.

So, instead I use an app called DropIt! to track my calories, no more than 1,650 a day. If I go over, I must burn it off. So far I’m down to 197 from 214 lbs.
For the 25 km bicycle rides, approximately how much of that consist of travelling uphill?

One can burn more calories going uphill than going downhill.

I second Admiral’s suggestion that tracking is highly effective with so many good technologies and options today. We make decisions about caloric intake and exercise at the conscious and subconscious level. Tracking brings that whole apparatus up to the conscious level as long as you can handle what the tracking is telling you. That brings me to the next issue: mental health.

Is the epidemic of general obesity in society in part, perhaps large part, a mental health thing? Increased caloric intake as well as sedentary behaviour are stress coping mechanisms. Furthermore, these behaviours are negative feedback loops. (P.S. I’m talking in generalities, individual people have their own unique health profiles)

Some really good discussion above - I think this shows what a complex topic obesity is, touching on everything from physical health, to mental health, incentive, etc.

One thing that shouldn't be overlooked, in my opinion, is the "moral hazard" of obesity. In particular in Canada, one does not pay for the costs of their poor choices, making it easier to make those poor choices. This exists with smoking and related health costs, and exists with obesity, as well. The cost to our healthcare system of obesity is tremendous, and borne entirely by the public coffers, not the individual. Not that different outcomes have been observed, for example, in the U.S. where an individual may bear some of those costs, but I do think this plays a role. Unlike a lack of education, where you bear the cost in terms of lower potential earnings, as a different contrasting example.

TrickyRicky also makes a very valid point about mental health, which has largely coloured how we speak and think about obesity. My mother is obese, and it's directly tied to her anxiety and depression. Food is a form of self medication for many, and in those cases is as much a disease as drug, nicotine, or alcohol addiction.

On the topic of CICO (Calories In, Calories Out) which includes both sides of the equation, this is the single proven and sustainable "diet / lifestyle" to maintaining a healthy weight, yet we don't teach it well. I would guess less than half the population has ever considered what their own Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is, let alone considered what their average caloric intake is. Many of us think in terms of "eating clean"and know inherently when we are eating too much over a period of time, but without explicitly understanding this in terms of caloric intake vs. expenditure, continue to spin wheels in an effort to balance this equation.

Just some thoughts, on what is a very difficult topic.

Some countries have a fat tax and a sugary drink tax.

However, I prefer a fast food advertising tax as it would not backfire as much (which can later be expanded to include alcohol advertising and sugary non-alcoholic beverage advertising).

I don't like government interference but something along the lines of your thinking is overdue. Personal responsibility doesn't work well when the system is stacked against you. Everyone knows what needs to be done to be a millionaire with a six pack, doing it is a different thing.
You need to set people up for success. That includes how we design our society. It's not about taking away freedom. Just like people who want to shoot heroin find a way, if people really want to consume a lot of excess calories they will find a way. But most people do it in part because they are constantly being worn down by the prevalence of it everywhere you go.

And we need to make active transportation (walking and biking) a lot more appealing. It's literally killing us. Speed limits on even urban streets are too high or it is too easy to speed. High speeds create noise pollution and make it unappealing to walk. The problem is exacerbated in suburban areas where speeds are even higher there is more traffic. Nevermind the glut of people with modified exhausts--noise pollution is a real problem and we should dedicate police resources to addressing. As far as I'm concerned, any modified exhaust should result in the vehicle being impounded until it is restored to factory specifications at owners expense, plus a fine. If you want the extra couple HP or to make lots of noise, that is what the track is for.

You need to set people up for success. That includes how we design our society. It's not about taking away freedom. Just like people who want to shoot heroin find a way, if people really want to consume a lot of excess calories they will find a way. But most people do it in part because they are constantly being worn down by the prevalence of it everywhere you go.

And we need to make active transportation (walking and biking) a lot more appealing. It's literally killing us. Speed limits on even urban streets are too high or it is too easy to speed. High speeds create noise pollution and make it unappealing to walk. The problem is exacerbated in suburban areas where speeds are even higher there is more traffic. Nevermind the glut of people with modified exhausts--noise pollution is a real problem and we should dedicate police resources to addressing. As far as I'm concerned, any modified exhaust should result in the vehicle being impounded until it is restored to factory specifications at owners expense, plus a fine. If you want the extra couple HP or to make lots of noise, that is what the track is for.

Active transportation will never be appealing in our climate. (hot summers and brutally cold winters) Fact is sugar is really is the problem. The foods most people consume are rich in both processed sugar and cholesterol among other things. Balanced diet is the key.

I dunno, there are places that are very hot and very cold that see more pedestrian and cyclist mode share. Stockholm is about as cold in winter and has 9% cycling mode share. Cities like Osaka and others in Asia are much hotter and have quite high cycling mode share.

I'm all for reducing sugar, I just doubt it is going to magically solve our problem with obesity.

ETA: active transportation doesn't mean grueling 20-30km commutes. We should be trying to make it possible/more appealing to walk or use a bike to go to the store, drop the kids off at school, etc. The whole phenomenon of people dropping kids off at school in cars is, frankly, nuts. And it makes the whole area around the school more dangerous for those kids walking or riding to school. And in a somewhat hilly city like Toronto, e-bikes could make those longer trips more appealing. The potential for a family to drop 1 of their 2 or 3 cars can go a long way to making it affordable to invest in active transportation options. But we have to make it reasonably safe and appealing.

Last edited:
Speed limits on even urban streets are too high or it is too easy to speed. High speeds create noise pollution and make it unappealing to walk. The problem is exacerbated in suburban areas where speeds are even higher there is more traffic. Nevermind the glut of people with modified exhausts--noise pollution is a real problem and we should dedicate police resources to addressing. As far as I'm concerned, any modified exhaust should result in the vehicle being impounded until it is restored to factory specifications at owners expense, plus a fine. If you want the extra couple HP or to make lots of noise, that is what the track is for.
It is time to reform car commercials. Some kept emphasizing speed and horsepower (though some do emphasize fuel efficiency).

I dunno, there are places that are very hot and very cold that see more pedestrian and cyclist mode share. Stockholm is about as cold in winter and has 9% cycling mode share. Cities like Osaka and others in Asia are much hotter and have quite high cycling mode share.

I'm all for reducing sugar, I just doubt it is going to magically solve our problem with obesity.

ETA: active transportation doesn't mean grueling 20-30km commutes. We should be trying to make it possible/more appealing to walk or use a bike to go to the store, drop the kids off at school, etc. The whole phenomenon of people dropping kids off at school in cars is, frankly, nuts. And it makes the whole area around the school more dangerous for those kids walking or riding to school. And in a somewhat hilly city like Toronto, e-bikes could make those longer trips more appealing. The potential for a family to drop 1 of their 2 or 3 cars can go a long way to making it affordable to invest in active transportation options. But we have to make it reasonably safe and appealing.

I live near a school. I'm dreading the cooler weather, it seems every kid at the school has their parents drive them when the temps drop to single digits. They illegally park these behemoth SUVs all over the street, causing traffic jams and unnecessary pollution. If parents would properly dress their kids for cold weather they wouldn't have to drive them!

Food is expensive in the Scandinavian countries, they don't have near the number of fast food restaurants that we have. No all you can eat buffets either. Big macs over there are a treat for the average person. Here they are part of people's weekly diet.

Junk food is cheap here. Why do we need coupons? I never get coupons for healthy foods.

This was in my mail box this week.

IMG_1325 (2).JPG

I never get those coupons. Then again, I haven’t had a Big Mac (or any fast food burger) in at least 20 years.

Burger King kept having the ten chicken nuggets for $1.99 deal.

But again, Olympic medallist in various sprinting events Usain Bolt said that he eats chicken nuggets before every race.

Since he's an Olympic sprinter, he burns calories extremely quickly.

But again, Olympic medallist in various sprinting events Usain Bolt said that he eats chicken nuggets before every race.

Since he's an Olympic sprinter, he burns calories extremely quickly.
I'm sure you're aware of this, but there is nothing wrong with eating chicken nuggets or fast food. 10 chicken nuggets from BK have 428 calories, and while they do have a bit more saturated fats than one would like, there's nothing wrong with eating them as part of your diet.

Sure, most of us choose to eat less processed foods because they make us feel better / keep you satiated for longer, but I could literally eat BK chicken nuggets every day for lunch and maintain my current weight. In fact, my current lunch is well in excess of 428 calories, so I could include them in my lunch without even giving up all of the other items.

I'm all for education on nutritional value, etc. but fast food isn't the boogeyman it's made out to be (see above Pink Lucy avoiding fast food for 20+ years...).

I'm sure you're aware of this, but there is nothing wrong with eating chicken nuggets or fast food. 10 chicken nuggets from BK have 428 calories, and while they do have a bit more saturated fats than one would like, there's nothing wrong with eating them as part of your diet.

Sure, most of us choose to eat less processed foods because they make us feel better / keep you satiated for longer, but I could literally eat BK chicken nuggets every day for lunch and maintain my current weight. In fact, my current lunch is well in excess of 428 calories, so I could include them in my lunch without even giving up all of the other items.

I'm all for education on nutritional value, etc. but fast food isn't the boogeyman it's made out to be (see above Pink Lucy avoiding fast food for 20+ years...).
I strongly agree.

As much as I am in favour of increased regulation of fast food advertising, I eat fast food on a regular basis even. I am a huge fan of chicken nuggets.

Back