Would you buy an EV from a Chinese OEM?

• Yes

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • No

Votes: 66 66.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 16 16.2%

• Total voters
Yes, though that list is a bit short right now, as both Ford and Chrysler are currently retooling, so by the time I buy my next vehicle, there'll be the the Dodge Charge, Chrysler minivans, Jeeps, and Ford pickups for the urban farmer.

and surely this is cooler:
View attachment 582444

I did misspeak though - I'd buy cars manufactured in other provinces too.
I'm not aware of any cars made in Canada outside Ontario.

Bad enough how dumb people behave now when going around with their wheel luggage on a four foot extendable handle.
Imagine how they will be with this? I can't wait for people going on and off the subway or UP on their rideable suitcase.
Can we simply preemptively ban these now please?

Bad enough how dumb people behave now when going around with their wheel luggage on a four foot extendable handle.
Imagine how they will be with this? I can't wait for people going on and off the subway or UP on their rideable suitcase.
Can we simply preemptively ban these now please?

I’m doubtful that these will catch on with airlines and air travellers because a) they are less streamlined than a suitcase, probably catch on luggage belts b) an awful lot of wasted volume and tare weight c) lithium batteries not allowed in checked bags
However…. Part of the disruption opportunity presented by electric battery advances is the prospect for a greater variety of vehicles that are smaller and lighter than automobiles. This would be a major lever to argue for autos to be alloted smaller shares of roadways in favour of giving small ev’s scooters and yes suitcases more of the roadway so they can be operated safely. Sure, there will be careless operators, and enforcement may be necessary… but a driver of a suitcase is likely to be more concerned with avoiding a collision than a motorist in a F150 (who has all that metal and airbag armour).
I don’t see banning these as working out - better to adapt to them.
For many local trips, I can see a suitcase configured vehicle being a lot more practical than an ebike….panniers and saddlebags are only so useful for carrying stuff. Already one sees a lot of golf cart traffic, and the marketplace would likely think up other similar sized vehicles… a big boon for our dense cities, once the cars are curbed.

- Paul

I'm reminded of Wall-E with sedentary people in the 'big floaty chairs'.

1722279306802.png

Already one sees a lot of golf cart traffic,
Where? They are not public street legal in Ontario except for, I think, two pilot communities.

Reactions: PL1
Where? They are not public street legal in Ontario except for, I think, two pilot communities.

I didn't say "legally" ;-)

Quite common in American small towns and I have certainly seen it in backstreets in Ontario towns. Woolwich Township being one..... with so many Mennonite buggies on the roads, a golf cart doesn't gain a lot of attention up that way.

- Paul

We rented a cottage recently near Kincardine and there were a couple of families driving golf cars around the small cottage roads, which were public roads but not ones where you're ever likely to see a police officer enforcing traffic laws.

I've also seen something like this parked on a quiet street in Toronto.

Or like this. I really don't remember who made it, and can't find the photo I took. It's usually parked on the west end of Granby St if anyone is interested. It's an interesting looking little vehicle.

Last edited:
I didn't say "legally" ;-)
Fair point. We had one at the farm and would occasionally run it on the road.

Different law/different jurisdictions aside, private 'gated' communities are a lot more common in the States.

Even where they are allowed under the pilot program (Pelee Island and Twp. of Huron-Kinloss), there are licencing and equipment requirements (over and above what is required on a golf course) as well as seasonal restrictions.

Even where they are allowed under the pilot program (Pelee Island and Twp. of Huron-Kinloss), there are licencing and equipment requirements (over and above what is required on a golf course) as well as seasonal restrictions.

Well, then. The cottage we rented was in Huron-Kinloss.

Fair point. We had one at the farm and would occasionally run it on the road.

Different law/different jurisdictions aside, private 'gated' communities are a lot more common in the States.

You see lots of dirt bikes, ATVs, snowmobiles and side by sides on rural roads, or on the shoulder. Legal is a different story. My parents have people/kids ripping down their street on dirt bikes, often popping wheelies, on their way to a local derelict industrial site with rubble piles.

I'm not anticipating a world where there are no standards or regulations, nor am I suggesting that such vehicles be allowed on major highways (or even arterial roads). But in a world where we are reducing urban speed limits to 30 km/h and.or discouraging full size automobiles altogether.... perhaps more things are possible.

It reminds me of the railway parallel where in North America we do not allow many brands of passenger railcars that are widely accepted elsewhere but do not meet North American crash worthiness standards. We pay a huge opportunity cost and there are strategies that do open the door based on temporal separation etc. As new types of individual mobility devices come onto the market, it may be much harder to keep these off the roads in some limited manner.

To some degree, we already tolerate similar vehicles in the form of mobility scooters.

- Paul

I'm not anticipating a world where there are no standards or regulations, nor am I suggesting that such vehicles be allowed on major highways (or even arterial roads). But in a world where we are reducing urban speed limits to 30 km/h and.or discouraging full size automobiles altogether.... perhaps more things are possible.

It reminds me of the railway parallel where in North America we do not allow many brands of passenger railcars that are widely accepted elsewhere but do not meet North American crash worthiness standards. We pay a huge opportunity cost and there are strategies that do open the door based on temporal separation etc. As new types of individual mobility devices come onto the market, it may be much harder to keep these off the roads in some limited manner.

To some degree, we already tolerate similar vehicles in the form of mobility scooters.

- Paul
There are microcars in the NL that can use bike paths. Often used as vehicles for disabled people. They are speed limited to 50 kph and don't require a license.

You see lots of dirt bikes, ATVs, snowmobiles and side by sides on rural roads, or on the shoulder. Legal is a different story. My parents have people/kids ripping down their street on dirt bikes, often popping wheelies, on their way to a local derelict industrial site with rubble piles.
Indeed, although 'dirt bikes *can* be street legal provided they are licenced and insured. Manner of operation is, quite rightly, often another thing.

The legality of ATVs/UTVs and MSVs on municipal roads is entirely up to the individual municipality. Again, licencing, insurance and manner of operation impact legality.

- Paul
In North America I think we are more risk-averse in terms of liability, largely driven by the US, but the thinking pervades here as well. Clearly, many western European countries take driving and mobility more seriously; although no doubt idiots exist over there as well. Another factor might be a generally smaller 'mass differential'. The difference between the mass of a typical European passenger car and a scooter, bike, etc. is smaller than over here. Perhaps somewhat less now but more prevalent during the heady days of land yachts which informed a lot of road policy.

IMG_5637.jpeg
IMG_5636.jpeg

I've also seen something like this parked on a quiet street in Toronto.

Or like this. I really don't remember who made it, and can't find the photo I took. It's usually parked on the west end of Granby St if anyone is interested. It's an interesting looking little vehicle.

Spotted it. It’s a four wheeled Emmo E-bike.

Last edited:

Back