8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

indense

Member Bio
Reaction score
I thought I would share some photos showing how the Dutch handle the office park. There is, of course, a mixed bag of some good buildings and some boring crap. In that sense, I think it's the same as North America.
It seems like there is always an effort to do something creative to the design - it's not always a visual success.
Many office buildings have their own fake canals as a landscaping feature and there are plenty of bike paths. There is usually 1 level of underground parking which is often not fully enclosed and not really underground.
Buildings seem to be designed and built without having tenants secured which leads to finished buildings sitting empty and design features - like interior bridges across atriums - going unused when the building is divided up among smaller tenants.

The first pictures are from January when I was living at a hotel near the airport.

JanuaryandFebruary2007017.jpg

Microsoft has their own basketball court.
JanuaryandFebruary2007020.jpg

The next are from the office park where I work. There isn't a restaurant or a store within walking distance. Each company has their own cafeteria that serves up a selection of interesting Dutch foods.
(sorry about the colour on these - my camera was acting up.)

My office is a Frankenstein's Monster of different parts thrown together:
august104.jpg

august099.jpg

The next building over:
august100.jpg

august105.jpg

It's completely empty - not a single tenant. It's been like this since I got here 7 months ago. There is at least one more empty building in the next office park over.
august106.jpg

The next building: Notice the blinds on the exterior of the windows.
august107.jpg

Next is the Artemis Hotel which bills itself as a Dutch Design hotel and has pretty funky interiors.
august109.jpg

The rear of the hotel:
august113.jpg

Next to the Artemis is one of several IBM offices in the area:
august103.jpg

IBM from the back:
august114.jpg

Despite the empty building across the way, there is a new office going up. No signs indicating whether they already have a tenant or not.
august101.jpg

august110.jpg

And the last building in the complex seems to be from another era:
august102-1.jpg

Next, we are off to Bijlmer in the East of Amsterdam - home to Ajax Stadium and a large number of office towers. It was 5:30 on the Thursday in August - so of course there wasn't a single car or office worker in sight.
august005.jpg

august017.jpg

august014.jpg

august013.jpg

august018.jpg

august019.jpg

august020.jpg

august022.jpg

august023.jpg

august024.jpg

august025.jpg

august026.jpg

august027.jpg

august030.jpg

august028.jpg

august029.jpg

august034.jpg

august039.jpg

august036.jpg

august038.jpg

august037.jpg

august040.jpg

august041.jpg

august042.jpg

august049.jpg

august048.jpg

august047.jpg

august082.jpg

august085.jpg

Plenty of bicycle parking:
august043.jpg

august052.jpg

august053.jpg

august051.jpg

august054.jpg

august056.jpg

august057.jpg

august064.jpg

august063.jpg

august062.jpg

august061.jpg

august060.jpg

august058.jpg

august071.jpg

august068.jpg

august067.jpg

august066.jpg

august065.jpg

More bicycle parking:
august076.jpg

august074.jpg

august073.jpg

august072.jpg

august080.jpg

Corporate art:
august084.jpg

august090.jpg

august091.jpg

august089.jpg

august087.jpg

august088.jpg

And finally, the new Bijlmer train station, stillunder construction:
august096.jpg

There are three sets of tracks for the subway, inter-city and sprinter trains. The bus station is under-neath.
august097.jpg

Lots of wood and glass.
august098.jpg

As you can see, some good, some not so good. Sometimes the grass isn't as green on the other side as you thought it was.

Very interesting, thanks for compiling this! It's interesting to see how you shed a fresh light on these parks. Many of these offices are empty, because municipal governments all around the country are eager to built them, because of the financial advantage that's involved (nothing is as expensive as offices). When they do get occupied, it's a goldmine for local governments.
Most of those office parks look cold and anything but vibrant. It's where nearly all of the Amsterdam region's skyscrapers can be found. I'm a little surprised you didn't include the offices clustered around the Zuid-WTC station, as it is the primary office location in Amsterdam. Rotterdam and in The Hague know these suburban office parks aswell, but there are also many office buildings in the downtowns, that are blended in with the immediate area.
I also love those pics of the new trainstation Amsterdam Bijlmer ArenA.

I'm a little surprised you didn't include the offices clustered around the Zuid-WTC station, as it is the primary office location in Amsterdam.

I have a weekly client meeting at the Oval Tower and decided to use it as an oportunity to do some shopping at the Mediamarkt and take some photos to share. Photos of the WTC would take effort but maybe one day. :)

The Oval Tower has weird elevators. At the bottom, you select from a number pad the floor you want to go to and the pad tells you which elevator to get on. The elevator opens and when you get on, there are no buttons inside. It takes you to the pre-selected floor. Has anyone seen one of these anywhere else?

Hoi -

I am trying to read or see everything I have missed before it rolls off Page One. I wish I had viewed your thread much earlier.

• This is that part of Europe that looks like North America, or vice versa - namely, the 'Office Park.' I suspect that a particular set of office parks that I worked at in Orlando Florida, Lewisville Texas, and El Segundo California, all used the same architects - I see some dead ringers in these photographs that confirm that.

• BTW, those bicycle parking areas are quite appropriate. In Chicago and New York, bicycle enthusiasts have taken to removing their front wheels and seat when parking their bike for protection, this is yet another approach.

• I am not sure I understand the Dutch concept of landscaping in those first couple of photos. An old friend of mine from Holland, often remarked on the mathematics inspired by intricate landscaping in his native land, this is yet another sampling.

• I've seen blinds on the exterior of several new buildings in Germany. So their presence here is not unfamiliar. I think this will belatedly catch on in North America, just like the brise de soleil.

• I am particularly intrigued by the building with ribbon windows that extend the length of each floor, and overall has many sharp angles - if you can tell me its name I would appreciate it.

• Lovely rail stations, I wonder how much bad weather they keep out?

Dank je wel

[*] I am particularly intrigued by the building with ribbon windows that extend the length of each floor, and overall has many sharp angles - if you can tell me its name I would appreciate it.

I'm not sure which one you are referring to but if you can give me some more detail, I'll try to find out.

Really? If it wasn't for the corporate art, I would have skipped that one. I'll see what I can find out.

Back