News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

We need a football minded president running this team now. And yes he is a marketing guy. He had no football background coming into this role. Ken, remember Hugh Campbell? Remember how well his teams were run? We need that again. Someone along those lines.

I wish Cui had stayed but there's reports out there that he was hard to work with in their front office.
in his 11 years as ceo, the team had four winning seasons (using the definition for a winning team of being better than .500) and the team was 6-11 when he stepped down (they finished at 7-11).before going 4-14 the following year.

in hindsight, it's interesting to listen to the media presser following the mass firing of chriss pressor et al: https://globalnews.ca/video/8393638...elks-board-chair-on-decline-of-football-team/

cui didn't hire chris jones or hand out the contracts that are really holding this team back at the moment (and for the foreseeable future :( ) and if one of his jobs was to remake the organization - and surely it was - then rumours of him being hard to work with in their front office aren't surprising. when was the last time you noticed that front office doing anything that made you want to attend the games more rather than things that made your core fan group just as happy to stay away? does some of that front office have direct pipelines to the board? if so, it wouldn't surprise me just as the outcome doesn't surprise me (even if it does disappoint me).

you'd think after all this time that "lather, rinse, repeat" would at some point be recognized as not a winning formula for a team that might have clean shiny hair but is still continuing to excel at nothing but losing... the next president and ceo will be what - the fourth or fifth in seven years that included one full season the league didn't play a single game.

Last edited:
I think the CFL should take over this organization.
this would be the same league that imposed a cap on football operations - not just the cap on player salaries - that puts a limit on both salaries and number of employees so that teams are forced into the position of not being able to rectify their mistakes when it comes to salaries and length of contracts? :(

that's probably the reason for cui leaving and not jones and macadoo and is probably the real reason for both the length of jones' contract and his multiple roles with the club. it's not a matter of what's best for the club, it's a matter of what the club can afford and the league is as guilty here as the board (although the league only adopted the rules while the board mismanaged them and backed the club into a corner).

in the glory years, the club was always able and prepared to spend what it took to field a winning team, something that's no longer a viable option.

I do wonder if the poor performance of the Elks and overall experience has actually helped the Riverhawks. Not discounting the product the Hawks have put out there just wondering.

in his 11 years as ceo, the team had four winning seasons (using the definition for a winning team of being better than .500) and the team was 6-11 when he stepped down (they finished at 7-11).before going 4-14 the following year.

in hindsight, it's interesting to listen to the media presser following the mass firing of chriss pressor et al: https://globalnews.ca/video/8393638...elks-board-chair-on-decline-of-football-team/

cui didn't hire chris jones or hand out the contracts that are really holding this team back at the moment (and for the foreseeable future :( ) and if one of his jobs was to remake the organization - and surely it was - then rumours of him being hard to work with in their front office aren't surprising. when was the last time you noticed that front office doing anything that made you want to attend the games more rather than things that made your core fan group just as happy to stay away? does some of that front office have direct pipelines to the board? if so, it wouldn't surprise me just as the outcome doesn't surprise me (even if it does disappoint me).

you'd think after all this time that "lather, rinse, repeat" would at some point be recognized as not a winning formula for a team that might have clean shiny hair but is still continuing to excel at nothing but losing... the next president and ceo will be what - the fourth or fifth in seven years that included one full season the league didn't play a single game.
Also won the Grey Cup twice under him too...not that it matters, right? ;)

Also won the Grey Cup twice under him too...not that it matters, right? ;)
true enough! and it does matter.

it also matters that he had the ability to hire and fire the gm that put put those teams on the field and the coaches that coached them and he wasn’t afraid to exercise that control knowing that .500 football isn’t good enough - even if you do win the cup - and he had the largest purse in the league to work with.

It’s also worth noting that campbell retired the year the league announced there would be a salary cap (he never had to work under one for either players or management) while cui was saddled with both salary caps and contracts under the management cap for people he didn’t hire (jones et al) and for people he didn’t fire (presson and elizondo).

How many of you approve of Bill Smith's idea of Daryl Katz taking over the Elks?

CFL News

@CFL_News
·
Aug 15

@TomGazzola
to
@nielsonTSN1260
@Lieutenant_Eric
, &
@matthewiwanyk
on private groups that have approached #Elks for a sale: "I know there's a group that has approached recently & then they backed away. & they have mega bucks. Mega mega $. Bucks that start w/ a billion" #CFL

May be in the works already and re-visited after the season is done?

Back