News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Survey now open on this.

Also, public meetings are coming up for the local courses (looking to talk to area residents, actual users of those specific courses, as opposed to a broader City-wide lens)

1624574844524.png

To actually register for the above meetings, follow this link:

Given the discussion, it might be helpful to link to the active development proposals of two golf courses in Oakville.

Worth noting that on both occasions, the proposal to redevelop the golf courses led to severe OMB fights between the city and local residents and the developer.

1) The Bronte Green Development in Oakville, redevelopment of the former Saw Whet Golf Course lands along Bronte Road. Already under construction.

View attachment 268495

2) 1333 Dorval Drive, redevelopment of the Glen Abbey Golf Club Lands

View attachment 268496
View attachment 268497

Update on this one: ClubLink is withdrawing its application.

Apparently all it took was a phone call from the Minister of Municipal Affairs............

:rolleyes:

Report here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/glen-abbey-golf-course-saved-1.6096503

Update on this one: ClubLink is withdrawing its application.

Apparently all it took was a phone call from the Minister of Municipal Affairs............

:rolleyes:

Report here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/glen-abbey-golf-course-saved-1.6096503
Another example of how those rich people in Oakville have some big sway. That combined with the Cons holding critical seats in Oakville pretty explains the shutdown here.

Guaranteed if this took place in Toronto or Hamilton, an MZO would've been granted in a heartbeat and we'd be seeing 50x 40+ story condos pop up. Well in Hamilton probaly 20+ stories with their height limits.

Survey now open on this.

Also, public meetings are coming up for the local courses (looking to talk to area residents, actual users of those specific courses, as opposed to a broader City-wide lens)

View attachment 330299

To actually register for the above meetings, follow this link:

I took the survey. What a sham.

It’s clearly intended to give the illusion of public participation when they’ve already made the decision to basically maintain the status quo.

Dozens of questions and not a single one that asks you whether you support the continued use of these sites as golf courses.

What are you afraid of Parks & Recreation? Finding out that the public you serve overwhelmingly prefers open parkland to subsidized fairways and greens?

If you support the removal and re-naturalization of the course I’d suggest completing the survey and making liberal use of the “Other (please specify)” box!

Last edited:
The City's golf courses now have a lobbyist.......

Details for Subject Matter Registration: SM32171​

Decision(s) or issue(s) to be lobbied

This work is intended to underscore the importance of the City's public golf courses in promoting healthy recreation and fitness to hundreds of thousands of ordinary golfers of all ages from all walks of life.

The client is: Save Toronto Golf Courses

I googled to see who this is, and found this online petition: https://www.change.org/p/toronto-golfers-save-toronto-golf-courses-be-heard-by-city-council

Staff report on the Future of City Golf Courses is coming to the January 11th meeting of Infrastructure and Environment. '

Goes to Council February 2nd.

Recommendations are not public yet, but will be public no later than when the agendas are which will be sometime in the next 3-4 weeks.

The Report to the Jan 11th meeting of Infrastructure and Environment Ctte is out.

Link here: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2022.IE27.6

I'll except a bunch of details but the gist is this:

Mostly status quo, (no golf courses closed); but some attempt to improve access for low-income kids by extending the Welcome Policy (fees waived) for junior memberships.

Also some quantified attempt for Indigenous/FN participation.

Finally, one larger item, they appear ready to offer up the Dentonia Course to be redeveloped into a 9-hole course to allow for both a continous bike trail connection from Taylor Creek Park to Warden Woods and also additional, non-golf course
local parklands.

From the report:

1641307276270.png

On Dentonia:

1641307314698.png

*** Pssst............does anyone else find it amusing that Tam O'Shanter is 'relatively nearby'.........its 12km away............

Other courses:

1641307412639.png

1641307464849.png

1641307490039.png

1641307502871.png

My overall read is that changes will be minimal, if any to courses other than Dentonia in the near to medium term............

Comments: While disappointing in some respects (I'd like to see the trail connection to Earl Bales through Don Valley prioritized)......I'm not completely unhappy.

This should result in at least one new trail connection for cyclists in the next few years and should also make access to the courses more affordable for low-income youth.

Better than the status quo, anyway.

Last edited:
Finally, one larger item, they appear ready to offer up the Dentonia Course to be redeveloped into a 9-hole course to allow for both a continous bike trail connection from Taylor Creek Park to Warden Woods and also additional, non-golf course
local parklands.
No doubt this was suggested by our wonderful council member who only cares about if he can get a picture of him doing something. He is such a joke of a council member and needs to go. He doesn't care about public consultation all he does is move things forward as fast as he can like putting a pizza oven in a park when the only mention of it was one line in a post about what colours a kitchen should be in a "clubhouse".

No doubt this was suggested by our wonderful council member who only cares about if he can get a picture of him doing something. He is such a joke of a council member and needs to go. He doesn't care about public consultation all he does is move things forward as fast as he can like putting a pizza oven in a park when the only mention of it was one line in a post about what colours a kitchen should be in a "clubhouse".

Actually, I was an advocate for this; and I quite like Councillor Bradford.

Not a surprise we differ in opinion.

Actually, I was an advocate for this; and I quite like Councillor Bradford.

Not a surprise we differ in opinion.
I don't really get why city council has this fascination with bikes, bike paths, and putting infrastructure on roads that people don't use as much as they think they do. Recently I witnessed an ambulance had to wait well drivers were confused as to what to do when they only had one lane on the Danforth both sides because city council decedied that we needed parking and bike lanes on it, it's absolutely ridiculous. We don't need to cater to the people who think we need more bike infrastructure. We don't need to chop up a golf course for stupid bike and walking trails.

I don't really get why city council has this fascination with bikes, bike paths, and putting infrastructure on roads that people don't use as much as they think they do. Recently I witnessed an ambulance had to wait well drivers were confused as to what to do when they only had one lane on the Danforth both sides because city council decedied that we needed parking and bike lanes on it, it's absolutely ridiculous. We don't need to cater to the people who think we need more bike infrastructure. We don't need to chop up a golf course for stupid bike and walking trails.

Are you aware you're on Urban Toronto; and that your opinion is very much in the minority here? Just wondering.

I won't engage w/you further on the subject as it would not seem to be productive.

Are you aware you're on Urban Toronto; and that your opinion is very much in the minority here? Just wondering.

I won't engage w/you further on the subject as it would not seem to be productive.
Yeah and I don't really care if I am in the minority I don't see bike lanes as doing anything. I have been along Danforth many times since they put them in and don't see any. The bike rack things that people pay to rent them have the same number of bikes in the same spot every day people don't use them as much as people to be here think they do. We are the minority of users or non users of things in this city but everyone thinks because they post on a forum where everyone else agrees with them then they are in the majority.

Just a small sidebar, I will say that being in a majority says nothing about whether a given belief is valid... not saying this about cycling, just a general observation.

Otherwise, it's disappointing that golf courses will continue wasting space in the city.

Just a small sidebar, I will say that being in a majority says nothing about whether a given belief is valid... not saying this about cycling, just a general observation.

Otherwise, it's disappointing that golf courses will continue wasting space in the city.
I don't really think they aren't a waste of space and city council has done their usual constanion process by posting about it on the website and not letting anyone know about except for the people who look at everything on it all of the time. The report was a waste of city funds and council should be held accountable for it.

Back