News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just look to the topic of this thread and you'll have your answer. Syn, I guess you don't know too many people. Everyone who I know who's installed Vista on their machines has gone back to XP. Everyone I've known who's bought a brand new system with Vista thus far, is asking me for my old XP disks (unfortunately for them, I've lost track of those long time ago).

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I don't think you know everyone on the planet. I know a lot of people who have had no problems with Vista - whether it's on their laptop or desktop. As I said, there's no doubt such users exist but your take on Apple/PC issues is really over the top.

I know that eventually, Microsoft will fine tune Vista and hardware will eventually catch up, but there's something wrong with a company that takes 5 years (??) to launch an upgrade to their most popular product and then needs to cut out major features and hurry it out the door (several times late). Complacency?

Leopard was launched with bugs, even though Apple has nowhere near the number of hardware and software issues to deal with.

Windows is far from perfect but launching a product that has to work well with an almost endless number of hardware configurations is a lot more complex. If Leopard had to run on 90+% of the world's computers, regardless of configurations it wouldn't be anywhere near as stable as it is now (and it's still not perfect).

As for my passionate defense of Apple, you gotta ask yourself why Apple users are so passionate to begin with. Gotta wonder why they talk about OS X as if they've just discovered a gold mine... gotta wonder... ;)

To be honest, I've found most Apple users to be uninformed and irrational. They often have little computer knowledge and no idea of what else is out there. They allow a large corporation to tell them what's 'cool' and cutting edge (the Macbook Air is the latest example), even though some supposed Apple innovations have been around for years on other platforms. It's almost as if though they're brainwashed.

Apple has done an excellent marketing job.

Thanks Syn. I was looking around for that. It lends to my perception that Apple's Support is hands down amongst the best in the industry.

Actually, that title goes to Lenovo. They've had the best support in the industry for years.

If you have the extended AppleCare warranty, you'll be treated like a king. If you're under the 3 months... you'll get that same degree of support. If not... they'll tell you to see an Apple Genius @ The Apple Store.

Then I feel sorry for Apple users. I've found the 'geniuses' often have no idea what they're talking about.

Here's a personal experience: I had a PowerBook a few years ago that I dropped. I tripped on the cord and the thing went flying across the room. My precious aluminum laptop was scarred for life and within weeks started experiencing problems.

I took it to The Apple Store wondering how much it'd cost me to repair. I was dumb struck when the Genius called in his manager to assess things and the manager told me they'd give me a replacement. :eek: (I had AppleCare). She said that because it's a laptop, it should be able to withstand that kind of abuse.
The next revision of the PowerBook, the MacBook Pro comes with a mangetic power cord. If you trip on it, it just detaches. The laptop doesn't even move.

800px-Apple_magsafe_tight.jpg

Ingenious!

It's a nice little feature, unfortunately Apple seems to have no interest in putting in nice little touches that have been standard in many PC laptops for years.

To be honest, I've found most Apple users to be uninformed and irrational. They often have little computer knowledge and no idea of what else is out there. They allow a large corporation to tell them what's 'cool' and cutting edge (the Macbook Air is the latest example), even though some supposed Apple innovations have been around for years on other platforms. It's almost as if though they're brainwashed.

Well, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and believe that you're not describing me as a person of "little computer knowledge" as I've been developing for PC's for 20 years before I left that industry.
I was repairing DOS and Windows machines when I was just 11 yrs old (a 2 week job installing Windows 95 at my dad's office when I was 16 paid me enough to go to London, England for a month) and later worked for a company called Critical Path localizing software to my 5 spoken languages and doing quality assurance after that.

Ironically enough, it was @ Critical Path (a PC company) that I discovered Mac OSX. Several of the PC programmers there used Mac's at home and as their email/calendar machines at work. I took notice and jumped into it. Hey, if a bunch of Windows developers were using Mac's, there had to be a reason. Living on the Mac platform for nearly a decade now, I truly understand why.

I guess if you haven't used a Mac as your main computer, you'll never know what all the fuss is about... and I don't blame you. In 2 decades of PC use, I had the same misconceptions about Mac.

Actually, that title goes to Lenovo. They've had the best support in the industry for years.

Are we looking at the same chart?

139958-2601p115-3b.gif

Apple is at the top of that chart. The chart is not in alphabetical order. It's in order of rating. Apple has "Better" where Lenovo has "Average". The two missing items regarding Apple's phone service are in my opinion excellent (wait times and overall phone service).

I think you posted a chart that doesn't help your argument. Did you not read the chart? PC Magazine (PC magazine!!) has been giving Apple high marks for years. I giggle every time I see a magazine rack with PC Magazine's cover saying that OS X is superior to Windows. I recall this one time when Boot Camp made it possible to run Windows on a Mac that the MacBook Pro was hailed as the fastest Windows Vista laptop on the market by PC World... haha.

PC World says:
Fastest: Apple MacBook Pro
The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year (through 10/25/07) is a Mac. Try that again: The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year--or for that matter, ever--is a Mac. Not a Dell, not a Toshiba, not even an Alienware. The $2419 (plus the price of a copy of Windows Vista, of course) MacBook Pro's PC WorldBench 6 Beta 2 score of 88 beats Gateway's E-265M by a single point, but the MacBook's score is far more impressive simply because Apple couldn't care less whether you run Windows.

Microsoft employees aren't helping their cause by criticizing their own OS in private. The PC media isn't helping either...

Are we looking at the same chart?

Apple is at the top of that chart. The chart is not in alphabetical order. It's in order of rating. Apple has "Better" where Lenovo has "Average". The two missing items regarding Apple's phone service are in my opinion excellent (wait times and overall phone service).

I think you posted a chart that doesn't help your argument. Did you not read the chart? PC Magazine (PC magazine!!) has been giving Apple high marks for years. I giggle every time I see a magazine rack with PC Magazine's cover saying that OS X is superior to Windows. I recall this one time when Boot Camp made it possible to run Windows on a Mac that the MacBook Pro was hailed as the fastest Windows Vista laptop on the market by PC World... haha.

I don't think you understand the chart.

Apple is at the top because it scored higher this year in the first two categories. If you look at the service section, Lenovo has the highest scores.

I said that Lenovo has had the best service in the industry for years. Another chart from December 2004 has IBM/Lenovo ahead of Apple (as is EMachines).

118514-2301p099-7b.gif

From December 2005, Lenovo is on top again:

123409-2401p101-5b.jpg

Microsoft employees aren't helping their cause by criticizing their own OS in private. The PC media isn't helping either...

I'd rather hear about the problems than be oblivious to them, as Apple would prefer their customers to be.

I completely agree. If Windows is your thing, Toshiba makes excellent laptops. I've heard nothing but good things about them.
I've had to downgrade a friend to XP who had a brand new Toshiba though. It wasn't able to handle the high requirements of Vista but which Q1-2008 laptop is?

My Q3 2007 laptop handled it nicely. I don't particularly care for the OS, though.

Well, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and believe that you're not describing me as a person of "little computer knowledge" as I've been developing for PC's for 20 years before I left that industry.
I was repairing DOS and Windows machines when I was just 11 yrs old (a 2 week job installing Windows 95 at my dad's office when I was 16 paid me enough to go to London, England for a month) and later worked for a company called Critical Path localizing software to my 5 spoken languages and doing quality assurance after that.

Ironically enough, it was @ Critical Path (a PC company) that I discovered Mac OSX. Several of the PC programmers there used Mac's at home and as their email/calendar machines at work. I took notice and jumped into it. Hey, if a bunch of Windows developers were using Mac's, there had to be a reason. Living on the Mac platform for nearly a decade now, I truly understand why.

I guess if you haven't used a Mac as your main computer, you'll never know what all the fuss is about... and I don't blame you. In 2 decades of PC use, I had the same misconceptions about Mac.

I didn't say all Mac users and I wasn't describing you. You claim to have a lot of computer knowledge, but your take on all things Apple is really over the top.

I've used Macbooks as my main computer from time to time for varying periods. As I said, they're nice and it's a good OS. I still find it overrated.

Mac fans are so overzealous that they can't even admit if Apple screws up and makes a design error or even a usability one. I'm still considering getting a Mac but I don't think I want to be part of the bizzare cult they've created.

I'll probably just load Windows onto it if I get one. :)

I don't think you understand the chart.

Apple is at the top because it scored higher this year in the first two categories. If you look at the service section, Lenovo has the highest scores.

Hmmm... make up your mind. Apple is at the top on that chart and you don't consider them the winner. In the 2004 chart, Apple isn't at the top so for the purpose of your argument you like that this chart doesn't consider them the best.

Lenovo didn't score the highest in the service section. Apple's is simply missing two key figures. PC Mag still gave them the top spot that year. Their phone service is on par or better than any I've experienced.

I had an IBM (LeNovo) issued to me @ Critical Path and I agree that they're solid laptops (though friggun hideous) and the IBM support was indeed great. PC Mag's findings seem reasonable by looking at the rest of the list.

It might just be an anecdote, but I don't think Lenovo will be holding that title much longer. I just bought my laptop from them this year and all my dealings with them have been less than stellar.

- No ability to check the status of my order online.
- 20-30 minute waits on hold to check the status over the phone.
- Twice was told that I would be called back with an answer to my inquiry within 24 hours, and neither time did I actually receive a reply.
- "1-2 weeks to ship" became 5 weeks before I actually received it.
- After I broke it (4 days after receiving it), waits were shorter but I had to deal with a rude employee. I was told that I would be "called back within an hour by a warranty rep", and I actually received that call 13 hours later.

My roommate bought a laptop from IBM/Lenovo 2 years ago, and his experience was consistently the opposite of mine.

wow CDL. That's surprising. I dealt with IBM before Lenovo took over and I thought they'd just changed hands (and names).

That sucks.. did you get your laptop fixed or replaced?

wow CDL. That's surprising. I dealt with IBM before Lenovo took over and I thought they'd just changed hands (and names).

That sucks.. did you get your laptop fixed or replaced?

It looks like Lenovo has shipped everything overseas. Call centres and manufacturing. When my roommate purchased and later broke his, he dealt with call centres located in Toronto.

Lenovo didn't help me at all since I didn't purchase accidental damage coverage. Luckily, it looks like Visa is going to cover the costs of the repair, but I'm in the process of dealing with them and their paperwork. Good thing I broke it within 90 days of purchase!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back