News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody has described Mac's as being perfect - except you. What others have posted is that they have had a trouble-free experience with the Mac environment. It makes it appear that you are some how fixated on the idea that people like products other than the ones you like.

lol

Give me a break.

Who is the one the fixated on the idea that people like products that they don't like? The person trying to sell people a Mac or the person who is taking issue with his inaccurate statements?

First you complain that this is a Vista thread and I'm insulting Apple users. When I point out Metroman is the one who brought Apple into the discussion then the issue is that I can't accept that people like products other than the ones I do. Right. :rolleyes:

Why don't you address what's actually been posted instead of trying to pin the problem on me.

The problem here is that we are throwing anecdotes back and forth. I've used OSX in a network environment a half-dozen times, and about half the time I have had major issues, with applications or the OS locking up. I don't think this is typical, but saying "I've used Macs for 18 years and never had a problem" is not particularly useful. I've barely used it over the past 18 months, and I still have enough complaints.

"I've used Macs for 18 years and never had a problem" is not particularly useful.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was referring to virus and spyware issues that were being discussed. Find me a Mac user that's had virus or spyware issues.

I'm too tired to respond to all your accusations of me in the past bunch of posts (I'll get to that tomorrow) but I would like to point out that your "virus" is not a virus:

Okay, first the good news. It's not technically a virus; it' a well-known Trojan (OSX.RSPlug.A, the Mac workalike of the zlob Trojan for Windows) that changes a Mac's DNS servers. It can not install by itself; you must type in an administrator password in order to install the malware.

It's a security breach yes, but it is not a virus or spyware. A virus replicates itself and sends itself off to others thus contaminating many other systems.
This is a trojan horse and like any other breach of the Mac OS, requires that you type in your admin. password. So I'll say it again: a virus scanner will do you no good if you go logging in as an admin. when prompted by a fishy source.

And for Christ' sake, please stop putting words in my mouth.

That last lawsuit article is spot on. I have a couple designers using the 20inch models in the office and the colour on them is horrendous. There is this constant gradient which makes all colours look darker near the bottom of the monitor than the bottom and the banding on gradients is terrible.

Unfortunately that's what happens when one leaves too much to "trust" and neglected the really dig deep and learn the technical details. The industry trend is switching from S-IPS/MVA/PVA to TN panels (much lower cost, highest pixel response time at the expense of colour accuracy and viewing angles) - but unfortunately panel type is one aspect of hardware that OEM doesn't like to advertize for obvious reasons.

You think Apple is bad? Dell has a few models of flat panels where getting a specific LCD panel type (S-IPS vs. PVA) is literally a lottery.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1111100

Glad I won that one though :D

AoD

I'm too tired to respond to all your accusations of me in the past bunch of posts (I'll get to that tomorrow) but I would like to point out that your "virus" is not a virus:

It's a security breach yes, but it is not a virus or spyware. A virus replicates itself and sends itself off to others thus contaminating many other systems.
This is a trojan horse and like any other breach of the Mac OS, requires that you type in your admin. password. So I'll say it again: a virus scanner will do you no good if you go logging in as an admin. when prompted by a fishy source.

I realize that. However, most PC 'viruses' aren't viruses either. They fall under the same category. The point is that infections are certainly a possibility.

And for Christ' sake, please stop putting words in my mouth.

No one is putting words in your mouth. It's all laid out here for everyone to see.

Apparently Bill Gates has suggested that a new version of Windows will be appearing in the next year or two. Yet another blow against Vista. I'm sure this'll amp up syn's hatred for Apple even more. ;)

^ Vista was always meant to be a band aid. Six years of XP stagnation were met by Apple with six versions of OS X (and many PC magazines claiming OS X is superior to XP... see posts above).

MS planned a new OS with many new features. Sometime in 2005 there was a security crisis with XP and Microsoft pulled all their engineers off the new Windows project to patch up XP and then work on an interim OS (Vista).
It's an implementation of some of the new features of the new OS but with many features withheld (and apparently lots of problems). Vista is clearly a rush job.

Windows 7 is now supposed to be out in 2 years... but of course, that means 3 or 4 for Microsoft. Meanwhile, I don't think the rest of the world (OS X and Linux) will be waiting with their arms crossed.

Apparently Bill Gates has suggested that a new version of Windows will be appearing in the next year or two. Yet another blow against Vista.

Yeah, 2010 is the target date though I have the feeling they'll miss that.

People complain when they don't release new OSes fast enough, then it's a problem when they do :p.

I'm sure this'll amp up syn's hatred for Apple even more. ;)

lol :p

As I said, I generally like Macs and the OS. I'm just being realistic.

Yeah, 2010 is the target date though I have the feeling they'll miss that.

People complain when they don't release new OSes fast enough, then it's a problem when they do :p.

Microsoft has been severely complacent resting on their laurels of a monopoly. One could argue that they kept the world of computers from progressing to its full potential.

With the focus now switching to mobile devices, they've lost their edge and are now playing catchup... so you get rush jobs like Vista.

I'm looking forward to Windows 7, but with Balmer at the head, I have little faith that anything will change.

Loving Vista

Personally, I love and hate Vista.

When I got my Tablet PC it came with Vista and at first I absoloutly adorned it. It was so personal. Always asking me questions and coming with these new softwares...

But then it got too personal...

I have a grand collection of Sims 2 games, I love to play them when I'm upset and it's been a childhood hobby which has become into now.

And then, I also love to make movies. And I have Photoshop. But guess what?

Vista dosen't appreciate those softwares, it decided to decline my Sims 2, Photoshop, and movie making program after a month.

I am still at a loss.

And the most skilled technicans can't tell me what is wrong, it really hurts my heart.

Microsoft has been severely complacent resting on their laurels of a monopoly. One could argue that they kept the world of computers from progressing to its full potential.

One could argue that without them and the PC hardware makers the world of computers wouldn't be anywhere what it is now.

With the focus now switching to mobile devices, they've lost their edge and are now playing catchup... so you get rush jobs like Vista.

I'm looking forward to Windows 7, but with Balmer at the head, I have little faith that anything will change.

They've been developing for mobile devices for years. I'd hardly say they're playing catch up in that department.

Most large companies have pretty interesting things in development and MS is no exception.

One could argue that without them and the PC hardware makers the world of computers wouldn't be anywhere what it is now.

Since people are in the thanking mood, don't forget IBM. Without them Microsoft would be nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back