News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Temple was also a supporter of trade union rights throughout his life, and walked on countless picket lines. In the 1970s, he was arrested and charged with assault police. When brought to trial, the officer who had allegedly been assaulted, who was twice Temple's size and more than half his age, claimed in testimony that he had smelled alcohol on Temple's breath. This caused more offence to Temple than the claim that he had committed an assault, and character witness after character witness was brought to the stand to testify that Temple had never consumed anything stronger than ginger ale as long as they had known him. The charges were dismissed.

Fascinating read. I love these CCF social gospel types.

I believe that the prohibition movement got under way, especially in big cities such as London, from the mid-19th century onwards. Organized branches of the Protestant religion, in particular, were pretty gung-ho on rejecting the evils of the bottle - and general intemperate living - and saving the souls of the wayward.

As a sidenote, if I recall correctly, a municipality can still vote to go dry under the current Liquor Licensing Act. Although why anyone would is beyond me.

The modern equivalent to the temperance movement of a century ago might be the ban on artificial trans fats - New York's city board of health banned them from restaurants a year ago.

I wonder if there are late night, back alley, trans fat restaurants in New York now? Up the fire escape, knock three times, give the password ... and you can eat all the greasy food you want until dawn.

I have a question how do i go about obtaining a copy of a picture from the TTC Archives?

... in my research to learn more about the junction area, i picked up a publication from the West Toronto Junction Hisotrical Society, which was really done well.

Inside it, there's this beautiful picture of the intersection of Keele and Dundas back in 1940, with a bunch of pedestrians hustling and bustling across the street, with an old street car, with old fashion cars and everyone dressed in their 40's gear (newscap hats are awesome!):

jnqq1.jpg

Its so cool knowing that the very spot i'l be walking at looked like that years and years ago.

Seeing that I'l be living really close to the intersection in a year or so, i thought it would be classy to get a print of the picture framed. Any idea what the best way about getting a copy of the print would be? Its obviously for personal use. Do i just email the TTC or is there some main archive sort of thing for toronto?

I have a question how do i go about obtaining a copy of a picture from the TTC Archives?

... in my research to learn more about the junction area, i picked up a publication from the West Toronto Junction Hisotrical Society, which was really done well.

Inside it, there's this beautiful picture of the intersection of Keele and Dundas back in 1940, with a bunch of pedestrians hustling and bustling across the street, with an old street car, with old fashion cars and everyone dressed in their 40's gear (newscap hats are awesome!):

jnqq1.jpg

Its so cool knowing that the very spot i'l be walking at looked like that years and years ago.

Seeing that I'l be living really close to the intersection in a year or so, i thought it would be classy to get a print of the picture framed. Any idea what the best way about getting a copy of the print would be? Its obviously for personal use. Do i just email the TTC or is there some main archive sort of thing for toronto?

I'm not sure how to get a copy, but if you find out, can you let me know? I'd like one too!

It sure would be great to have streetcars running along Dundas through the Junction again. Has the TTC ever seriously considered reinstating them?

If needed to, the Jane LRT could connect with the Roncesvalles carbarn via Dundas through the Junction. With the current plans, it would have to connect via St. Clair, Bathurst, and then King to the Roncesvalles carbarn, if needed to.

The parking lot at that intersection could make for a nice public square one day. The post office used to stand there.

Back