News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I agree on the LRT issue, its a shame that the Dundas Street car was truncated late in the last century at Bloor, its astounding what they were thinking when they were did it, along with the demolition of the Junction Railway station. I have lived in the Junction for the past few years and have see it transform, albeit at a very slow pace. check out my blog at http://torontojunction.blogspot.com I try to post as often as I can on whats happening around the Junction.

Yeah, your blog is super, btw. I've been visiting it for a while now.

Old Weston Road - New Development?

Does anyone out there have some inside knowledge as to what's happening on the site of what used to be the Nina Ricci jewellery factory on Old Weston Road right next to the railway tracks? It was empty for the longest time, except for film crews that would use it from time to time, and then a "For Sale" sign went up last year and now it's been completely razed, even the rubble has been cleared and there are diggers going away at it.
To the best of my knowledge no re-zoning or building application has been applied for, but the school crossing guard up the street heard a rumour about townhouses.
Anyone?:confused:

junction has and always will be a dump.
i love it.i live in pelham park lived on davenport n symington and campbell park as a kid.most of my fams and friends still around.some cracked out,some boozed away,some still crackin n boozin.others who knows.
mcbrides is gone!my daughter got to buy her first helmet there at least!
i got a brick from mcbrides!!means more to me thean a chunk of the berlin wall or moon rock.
ive lived in the junction,bloor west village,and the annex.few other spots in the city too,but the junc is home.thats why im back.
416 forever!heck with 647 n 905 and any other poser who's postal code dont start with M!
lmao:eek:

junction has and always will be a dump.
i love it.i live in pelham park lived on davenport n symington and campbell park as a kid.most of my fams and friends still around.some cracked out,some boozed away,some still crackin n boozin.others who knows.
mcbrides is gone!my daughter got to buy her first helmet there at least!
i got a brick from mcbrides!!means more to me thean a chunk of the berlin wall or moon rock.
ive lived in the junction,bloor west village,and the annex.few other spots in the city too,but the junc is home.thats why im back.
416 forever!heck with 647 n 905 and any other poser who's postal code dont start with M!
lmao:eek:

Did you ever notice that the Junction has both cleaner and dirtier areas? I won't have such a sweeping generalization. Also, 647 is a Toronto area code. That's right, there's more than one :cool: .

McBrides was such a loss for nothing. Actually there was also a theatre with wonderful architecture that stood very close to it, but they knocked it down back in the 1960s.

Welcome back.

Hey! neat thread :D

I spent a lot of my youth hanging out in this area.. anywhere from Dundas to Bloor from Jane all the way to Dundas and Bloor.

I just moved back in the area.. I don't think I qualify for Junction status though ..I am *just* west of Jane on Dundas near Humbercrest.. so I am not even sure what "area" this is called!

The Malta bakeshop! yummy.. I have been going there for years now when I can... it's so nice to be close now! (I am of partial Maltese descent)

I love this forum! it's going to be fun poking around.

i have been living in the junction for about 2 months now. since its been winter i haven't been out much. but i was wondering of some cools places to go in the area (aside form high park)

also, any nice, relaxed places to get a drink in the area. (a place that doens't play Top 40 hits all day)

let me know thanks.

Ha

I feel so old now :rolleyes:

I'll be adding more stuff to the site every day, I do welcome any input, if you feel like recommending a local blog/site/event..etc.. please let me know, it doesn't have to be parent/kids related :)

I love reading this thread btw, there isn't much on Junction out there (internet).. sorry my English is slow.

Irina

On another note, I can't believe I missed this. There are plans to build a new police station on the site of the old school near Davenport and Old Weston Road.

Community urged to attend 11 Division's new station meeting
BY CYNTHIA REASON
February 21, 2008 12:56 PM

Toronto Police Service (TPS) officers from 11 Division are strongly urging community members to come out to a public consultation meeting next Thursday to discuss their "hopes, dreams and concerns" for the division's new station.

"The plans will be drawn up in consultation with the community," said Insp. Heinz Kuck. "We're not taking a cookie cutter approach to this, so that's why it's important for people to come out to these meetings to have their voice heard now rather than after the fact - the issue is now, the idea is now, the plans are now."

The current 11 Division station, located at 209 Mavety St., has been around since the mid-1950s and has become obsolete and cannot function as a working police station for much longer, Kuck added.

Last December city council approved a purchase agreement with the Toronto District School Board for the old South Carleton Public School (at the intersection of Davenport Rd. and Osler St.) as the location for the new facility. Should everything go according to schedule, ground at the new site will be broken in about a year's time, with an official ribbon-cutting ceremony and grand opening taking place in August 2011, Kuck said.

Given that the school is actually located within the present boundaries of 12 Division, Kuck said a re-jigging of the divisional lines will be necessary. The station relocation will require boundary changes to be made for Divisions 11, 12, 31 and possibly 14, but a separate committee has been formed to study and address the issue.

But before plans can be drawn up (the city is currently in talks with potential architects), police want to get feedback from the community.

"The reason we need the meeting to be so well attended is to provide absolute, face-to-face consultation with the members of the community," Kuck said of the meeting, which is set to take place Thursday, Feb. 28 at 7 p.m. at Annette Street Community Centre, 333 Annette St.

"We're looking to draw the largest contingency to this meeting - from High Park to the Junction to Parkdale, Swansea, Brockton, Dufferin, Davenport... people from all over the division."

TPS Chief Administrative Officer Tony Veneziano, Staff Supt. Glenn DeCaire and 11 Division Unit Commander Brody Smollet will all be on hand to offer insight into recent developments and field community concerns and input regarding the design and architecture, landscaping, parking and traffic flow issues, public access to and prisoner release from the new station.

"We don't want to create a carte blanche using just our own architects in this design, that's why we're inviting community members from across the division - they need to be part of this discussion," Kuck said.

For more information, contact Staff Sgt. Bruce Morrison, 11 Division Community Response Unit at bruce.morrison@torontopolice.on.ca or 416-808-1183.
____
See also this document with the photo of the school that they wish to demolish. This also means some land will be available for development on the present site.

Er, why demolish the school? Looks to be of heritage value--I'm sure that'll come up.

For that matter, why demolish the existing station? Maybe restore its 50s modern into something nifty...

I actually live opposite the school and my local RA, Carleton Village Residents Association (CVRA) was up in arms about this move, but it was a done deal before we could even blow hot air. For the most part it happened so quickly that it fell under the media radar, though I should add, this neck of the woods in the Junction area hasn't been touched (yet?) by gentrification in the same way that the Dundas/Keele area has, so it's pretty much off most folks radar (unless you're an historian or a train watcher!) even though it's 10 minute walk to the "epicentre" the tracks are a barrier, and it still tends to elicit, "you live where...???"
It simply does not grab the same kind of attention, although I was interviewed by the National Post, but this was 24 hours before it was going to council for approval, so the article was published on the same day as the motion was going through.
Most of the residents are upset because it's felt that it was done through the back door at high speed.
After all was said and done, a community meeting was held a few months ago with the TPS, TDSB and city bureaucrats and while we're still not happy about it, the TPS do at least seem genuinely interested in our input and in that spirit, we will have two members of the community on the planning committee as representatives.
I have been informed that the facade of the original portion of the building has (or is in the process of) been given Heritage designation, and as such we expect it to be preserved. We're also very adamant about the preservation of existing trees, given that this area has one of the lowest tree canopies in the city.
There is currently a project for greening the 'hood, increasing the tree canopy and awareness of this need via an initiative group Green Here (www.greenhere.ca).
I didn't attend the recent meeting, but a rep from CVRA did, and apparently it was pretty much the same agenda as what we already had in the meeting a few months ago.

Back