News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The TRCA now considers itself expert on naturalizing hydro corridors into Meadows.

As such, it has produced a how-to manual.

I'll resist the temptation to poke any balloons and say they've done some pretty decent work; and I hope we will see it rolled out across the GTA's hydro corridors.

The report on the manual is here:

OR

If you want the manual for yourself so you can go naturalize a hydro corridor, here's the actual manual!

Durham region is looking for feedback on their planned extension of the Meadoway East of the rouge that will guide its detailed design... Should anyone want to contribute.

Mulling through the TRCA Capital Budget, I would note that they still have ~13.4M of Meadoway project unfunded. I have to say, I'm not particularly impressed by their fundraising efforts, which were always a clear goal of the
initial Weston donation. Individual philanthropy aside, I have difficulty believing they can get 5-10M from TD for the greening/planting component.

* TD has a dedicated program for supporting small-scale eco-projects, but periodically makes larger sums available.

TRCA is just about out of budgeted resources on this one, but seems to think the City has grabbed them 5M from the Feds for this work, which would keep things going through 2025.

With the nice weather coming, does anyone know when the morningside park/Ellesmere connector are to be opened? I drove by a couple days ago and was still fenced off.

With the nice weather coming, does anyone know when the morningside park/Ellesmere connector are to be opened? I drove by a couple days ago and was still fenced off.

Not sure, I'll see if I can't find some info. I know they have some large restoration plantings still to do. My notes say 8,000 plants (1,000 trees, 7,000 shrubs)

I imagine they may want to do that first. If so, a mid-June opening seems reasonable (but I don't know that that is the plan).

On that note, I do see there are plans for at least 2 other new trail segments this year, maybe 3.

I noted elsewhere that the Bermondsey-Eglinton stretch is on the to-do list.

So are Military Trail to Morningside; and the area from running from Thompson Park to Arsandco Park. (Brimley to Midland)

I went to the Military trail connection today. Still under construction. The trail cutting through the soil is looking impressive!

IMG_2383.jpeg

Big press release for the media today, telling the rest of Toronto what UT heard from me back on April 9th.

Restoration work to be substantially complete over the next 3 years, and 2-3 new trail segments this year.

What Phase is Brimley-Kennedy? That’s what I’m most looking forward too.

What Phase is Brimley-Kennedy? That’s what I’m most looking forward too.

Brimley-Midland is this year.

Kennedy-Midland, is some distance away. It requires either a bridge or a tunnel under GO's Stouffville Line.

But there also needs to be a determination on what is happening to the former SRT there, and whether there will be a BRT etc.

All of that will impact any end design choices.

I am going to admit I am terribly frustrated at the pace/delivery here:

From the above:

1697596476879.png

This trail was budgeted for this year. That means, in my judgement it ought to have been tendered no later than June 1st with a closing date no later than July 15th.

But that's not what happened.

Instead we have a completely needless pre-qualification process for a very small contract:

1697596591137.png

Which if you must do this, ought to have gone out no later than Q1 of this year.................but it didn't.

That any public agency has the nerve to award projects budgeted for this year (which should mean pay on delivery) in late October is grossly unacceptable.

Aside from sending a clear message to members of the TRCA Board, I would encourage UT members to express their disdain for this needlessly slow, needlessly cumbersome, overly expensive and absurdly delayed project to:

Email: corey.wells@trca.ca
For Information contact: Corey Wells, (437) 772-3054; Alex Barber, (416) 727-7666
Emails: corey.wells@trca.ca; alex.barber@trca.ca

Last edited:
Having little knowledge on the subject, how does this impact the delivery (timeline)? I assume it needs to be presented to some body (Oct 20?) for approval and then scheduling?

Having little knowledge on the subject, how does this impact the delivery (timeline)? I assume it needs to be presented to some body (Oct 20?) for approval and then scheduling?

It looks like they're hoping the trail segment here will be done by year's end, though I don't see a date specified. The asphalt plants generally wind down by early December, so the timing is really thin to get that done.

In general one should not use hot mix asphalt in temperatures below 7C ; as even if available, you have to compact it within minutes of it being poured ( 15 or less); its just not the right time of year to be doing this even if you can source the product.

If I had to guess, this will be pushed to spring; but if the staff and the contractor are raring to go, they might get it in.

I am going to admit I am terribly frustrated at the pace/delivery here:

From the above:

View attachment 513818

This trail was budgeted for this year. That means, in my judgement it ought to have been tendered no later than June 1st with a closing date no later than July 15th.

But that's not what happened.

Instead we have a completely needless pre-qualification process for a very small contract:

View attachment 513819

Which if you must do this, ought to have gone out no later than Q1 of this year.................but it didn't.

That any public agency has the nerve to award projects budgeted for this year (which should mean pay on delivery) in late October is grossly unacceptable.

Aside from sending a clear message to members of the TRCA Board, I would encourage UT members to express their disdain for this needlessly slow, needlessly cumbersome, overly expensive and absurdly delayed project to:

Email: corey.wells@trca.ca
For Information contact: Corey Wells, (437) 772-3054; Alex Barber, (416) 727-7666
Emails: corey.wells@trca.ca; alex.barber@trca.ca

I'll just note that the TRCA should not shoulder all blame here. All of the money to fund this is from a) The W. Garfield Weston Foundation, b) the TRCA, c) Parks Canada, and d) federal grants. Budgetary support from the City is noticeably lacking. At most, the City would have provided some fees to the TRCA, who in turn is contributing 20% of the costs. Whether that funding allocation comes from City-contributed money in full, part or at all is unknown to me though.

If you want this to move faster (and to a greater scope), urge the City to contribute more to the Meadoway directly. As I highlighted 5 years ago, this project is still limited in the scope of the direct infrastructure connections being made, and the extent of the hydro corridor included with the project.

I'll just note that the TRCA should not shoulder all blame here. All of the money to fund this is from a) The W. Garfield Weston Foundation, b) the TRCA, c) Parks Canada, and d) federal grants. Budgetary support from the City is noticeably lacking. At most, the City would have provided some fees to the TRCA, who in turn is contributing 20% of the costs. Whether that funding allocation comes from City-contributed money in full, part or at all is unknown to me though.

The City supported the Meadoway with 6.3M for phase 1, that's not chump change.

The W. Garfield Weston Foundation provided up to 25M, conditionally, it has not all flowed, one of the conditions was fundraising.

The TRCA has done an appalling job of generating additional philanthropic dollars.

If you want this to move faster (and to a greater scope), urge the City to contribute more to the Meadoway directly. As I highlighted 5 years ago, this project is still limited in the scope of the direct infrastructure connections being made, and the extent of the hydro corridor included with the project.

I'm not opposed to more money from the City here, but Parks budget is severely constrained; and they are still spending large sum on trails through 2024 (2023 column 1, 2024 column 2)

1697647324689.png

1697647374484.png

There's also a bunch of dollars going to Rail Path, but that's a different envelope.

I should add, the segments scheduled for this year don't require any complex engineering or other expensive investments, its 95% straight-up paved trail.

Back