8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

MCXavierL

Member Bio
Reaction score
Across from The Mercury Block I, this is Mercury Block II which is going to EDC on August 15, 2023:

10138 and 10144-123 Street

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 10.15.02 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 10.15.49 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 10.16.29 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 10.16.40 AM.png

This is a dumb question because I don't know the intersection well enough, but could you put in a traffic filter and essentially close that part of 102 Ave to vehicles between the buildings? I mean, now that there's no giant parking lot next to the old MEC, is there much vehicle traffic going through there?

Already have a thread for this one but those renders you posted I believe are new :)

Already have a thread for this one but those renders you posted I believe are new :)
Oops. Couldn't find the address or the name in the forum already, my bad. Thanks for sharing.

This is a dumb question because I don't know the intersection well enough, but could you put in a traffic filter and essentially close that part of 102 Ave to vehicles between the buildings? I mean, now that there's no giant parking lot next to the old MEC, is there much vehicle traffic going through there?
There’s a bus route that uses that road, and it’s still a connection to the inner parts of the Oliver neighbourhood.

That's still a ton of parking stalls. It makes me wonder if the same development style in 5 years, but placed next door even needs anything more than 10-50 stalls. The cost of adding underground parking (or surface), is a huge drag on development and rental affordability. They could build 1.5-2 of these for the price of one if there was no underground parking. When do the economics flip for developers? At some point the cap rate will flip in favour of zero parking for smaller units.

This, along with OEX, Merc 1, McLaren, 124th, the Oliverbahn, LRT Valley West, is going to make Oliver the best neighbourhood in the city.

I'm not arguing about the revenue, I'm arguing about future roi compared to building out more living and commercial space with that money. I genuinely believe that underground parking is a drag on cap rate in denser areas. I'm not saying that people don't want it.

This is also a rental. I don't think this applies to condominiums.

Last edited:

Back