News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I'm concerned about EIFS and other cladding on Yonge Street (see the Freeman's Tux store at 556 Yonge). But consoled by the possibility the original materials are still behind and restorable.

Has the city considered some sort of fund, tax-incentive to restore more of the Victorians on Yonge especially the defaced street level floors? They cant all be saved by 5St Joseph projects.

An example of two building fronts getting smoothed over... [sorry this isn't EIFS, just thematically similar]

yongestreetmission.jpg

compare to: present view

I guess it doesn't matter since that whole block might get turned into a mall anyway.

Last edited:
An example of two building fronts getting smoothed over... [sorry this isn't EIFS, just thematically similar]

yongestreetmission.jpg

compare to: present view

I guess it doesn't matter since that whole block might get turned into a mall anyway.

Those appear to be either completely new buildings or completely reconstructed facades.

Definitely new buildings--the present corner one being an early 20s Sproatt & Rolph thing, the Yonge Street Mission being a 50s rebuild. And granite/limestone isn't exactly EIFS...

The Bridle Path is such a waste. The properties allow for some amazing opportunities and this is what you get, for the most part.

Just out of curiosity, what type of properties would you like to see in the Bridle Path enclave? Given the topic of this thread, I can assume "no EIFS". :p

Just out of curiosity, what type of properties would you like to see in the Bridle Path enclave? Given the topic of this thread, I can assume "no EIFS". :p

I'd like to see more contemporary architecture, instead of the hackneyed stucco palaces.

19 Park Lane Circle is one of my favourite properties in the area. It's difficult to make out the house in the Google street view, but the trees and landscaping are fantastic.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=the+bridle+path&ll=43.734766,-79.375326&spn=0.000859,0.001742&hnear=The+Bridle+Path,+Toronto,+Ontario&gl=ca&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=43.734696,-79.375498&panoid=OQz3ImDOLqzlESRIQQjwWA&cbp=13,42.05,,0,-3.96

I'd like to see more contemporary architecture, instead of the hackneyed stucco palaces.

19 Park Lane Circle is one of my favourite properties in the area. It's difficult to make out the house in the Google street view, but the trees and landscaping are fantastic.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=the+bridle+path&ll=43.734766,-79.375326&spn=0.000859,0.001742&hnear=The+Bridle+Path,+Toronto,+Ontario&gl=ca&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=43.734696,-79.375498&panoid=OQz3ImDOLqzlESRIQQjwWA&cbp=13,42.05,,0,-3.96

You can't have that one - it's mine.

But I also like this one next door - which I think is going going gone. And 71 Park Lane Circle.
http://robertmoffatt115.wordpress.com/2010/04/08/longer-lower-and-wider-on-the-bridle-path-part-2/
img_2571-21-parklane-circle-v2-lr.jpg

As nice as it is, I wouldn't want to live in that area. There's no community feel. Everyone is so isolated.

There are a few nice modernist homes in the Bridle Path area. My sister is friends with a couple of girls that lived on The Bridle Path and Park Lane Circle. The former's parent's tore down a modernist bungalow and built a McMansion in its place, a little over a decade ago.

It pains me to see beautiful brick Edwardian housing stock being replaced with new stucco houses with faux-classical detailing. I don't understand the motivation behind it.

It pains me to see beautiful brick Edwardian housing stock being replaced with new stucco houses with faux-classical detailing. I don't understand the motivation behind it.

I remember my family's house was heated by coal, in the early 1950's. As was most of the city, they slowly converted to other methods of heating (oil or natural gas). Coal resulted in black deposits on buildings. That black coating was hard to remove, so people painted those Victorian and Edwardian houses. Unfortunately, painting (when done wrong) did not let the brick breath, resulting in deterioration or crumbing of the bricks.

People are now removing the paint, so that the original brick is now showing. Unfortunately, the cost to repair the bricks with similar brickwork can deter some people. If the damage is too much for the owners, they turn to other methods to repair them (including stucco).

People are now removing the paint, so that the original brick is now showing. Unfortunately, the cost to repair the bricks with similar brickwork can deter some people. If the damage is too much for the owners, they turn to other methods to repair them (including stucco).

And in some ways, the preferred 70s method of paint removal--sandblasting--aggravated the problem by abrading away the brick surface, thus accelerating the brick erosion...

Can't stand stucco, although it's mainly cause I associate it with every single strip mall you see in the suburbs these days. As a building material it's cheap to install, so even if it doesn't last as long as brick, STILL ends up being cheaper over time. Including replacement. I'm surprised that most places don't even attempt to get creative with it though, ie what they do with padded concrete driveways.

Back