News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I wonder if we will see emergence of stores like this in malls:

View attachment 238286

That is a shoe store, where you walk up to a terminal, find the product you want in the size you want, and someone brings it to you from the back. There is no displays otherwise.

Shop online in-store! ?
Sounds like Consumers Distributing. I began to believe that there was just an empty warehouse behind the order desk, as they never had what I wanted in stock.

c3efd2c21e061b9762db1b0e5a0cd7c3.png

Ultimately if they want to be sustainable, they'll need more traffic and residential helps. I don't think all retail will disappear (a lot will, don't get me wrong) but there is still some need for physical stores albeit to a lesser extent.
I realize being home that I buy almost nothing. Just food and the occasional clothing. The economy would ground to a halt if I was the retail customer profile.

Sounds like Consumers Distributing. I began to believe that there was just an empty warehouse behind the order desk, as they never had what I wanted in stock.

As a kid I loved the nearby CD and looked forward to every new catalog for the toy section. I don't see that paradigm of shopping coming back and being successful though.

Haven't they outright said they are prioritizing essential orders? Don't you think that waiting for your french press is a small price to pay?

I'm an essential worker, a key component in saving the world!

I need my goddamn coffee.

My little heart as a child was crushed every time they had no stock of the latest He-Man action figure, which was EVERY DAMN TIME.

Sorry, is the word damn considered swearing? I'd hate to run afoul of the rules and provide ammo to a trigger-happy Mod and get banned for a week again.

COVID-19 is the final nail in the coffin for many retailers and hasten the retail apocalypse.

COVID-19 is the final nail in the coffin for many retailers and hasten the retail apocalypse.
Economical Darwinism always kills off the weaker businesses when a crisis hits.

I’m right now reading the
British Motorcycle Directory, covering over 1,100 Marques. Today after two world wars, the Great Depression, collapse of empire, multiple smaller economic downturns, hyperinflation, poor industrial relations and political failures in international and domestic trade and fiscal policies...all combined with often rubbish products, labour unrest and shoddy management there is, with Norton’s Jan 2020 collapse only one left; Triumph. Though Ariel and Matchless are trying to launch a two wheeler.

I expect many retailers will vanish. Often I walk through the Eaton Centre and I wonder how any of the clothing shops pay the rent. They all seem to have the same made-in-Asia throwaway fashion and the ubiquitous tattooed and facially pierced millennial employee looking bored into their smartphone. If you don’t have a unique selling proposition or experience and I can buy your products online for less, you’re doomed. This covid19 outbreak will hasten their demise whilst the stronger companies and products survive.

Last edited:
Everyone is now learning how to shop for everything online. Even those heretofore reluctant online shoppers are realizing how easily they can buy clothing, electronics, hardware, food, pet products, pharmaceuticals and alcohol online. I imagine many of these previously bricks and mortar retail diehards will not be coming back.

I was ordering groceries online, but now deliveries are booked up for the next 2 to 3 weeks. :(

I don’t know if there should be a similar thread for restaurants or if they loosely belong in “retail” but we’re absolutely headed for a restaurant apocalypse. I won’t name any names out of respect for my clients but I’ve heard from a few who simply can’t come back from this.

We have a restaurant opening and closing thread. Sadly, we're going to see a lot more closings than openings for the foreseeable future. That said, get delivery or takeout from your favourite restaurant if you can!

Back