News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I don’t know if there should be a similar thread for restaurants or if they loosely belong in “retail” but we’re absolutely headed for a restaurant apocalypse. I won’t name any names out of respect for my clients but I’ve heard from a few who simply can’t come back from this.

I have heard a lot too from friends who work in the industry. It's scary.

I don’t know if there should be a similar thread for restaurants or if they loosely belong in “retail” but we’re absolutely headed for a restaurant apocalypse. I won’t name any names out of respect for my clients but I’ve heard from a few who simply can’t come back from this.
Major American pizza parlours are making record profits (at the expense of all independent restaurants, independent pizza parlours included) via delivery.

May 9th? Good luck. This will not be over in a month.
Yep... they just sent me a note that not taking any bookings until they know more. I’ll be joining my poodle in the shaggy queue.

I expect stores will remain closed throughout April and into May. I’m booked to fly to England in early August, so my hope is this is cleared and we’re flying again by July. I can get most of my money back but I haven’t been to the homeland in 15 years and am really looking forward to the trip. Sigh....

BC Footwear Retailer ‘Ronsons’ Placed into Receivership Amid COVID-19 Pandemic

April 13, 2020
By Craig Patterson

Vancouver-based multi-brand footwear retailer Ronsons has been placed into receivership amid a lack of cash flow following the closure of its stores amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Other retailers in Canada are expected to follow as ‘non-essential’ stores remain closed for an indefinite period across the country.

“It is with a heavy heart that I have to tell you that due to the COVID-19 pandemic the company is now in receivership,” said Tony Aronson, CEO of Ronsons. He and his father founded the company 32 years ago.

“With the help of our incredible staff, loyal customers, and supplier partners - many of them friends, we grew the business to eighteen locations”.

All 18 of Ronsons’ stores are in British Columbia, including nine full-priced Ronsons locations and nine off-price Ronsons Rack stores. Sixteen of the stores are in the Vancouver/Lower Mainland and two are in other parts of the province. That includes a Ronsons store in Victoria and a Ronsons Rack store in Kelowna.

-------------
More Canadian retailers are expected to file for creditor projection in the coming weeks as physical stores remain closed across the country. While many businesses may have online stores, web sales are said to be insufficient to keep them afloat. Many consumers in Canada are not buying clothing at the moment, with reasons including ‘stay indoors’ orders as well as job losses and wealth that has been lost due to a declining stock market and oil prices. We’ll continue to follow the Canadian retail industry as companies begin to assess operations.

I got more info on Hudsons Bay. Overall sales decline is close to 80%. They're barely hanging on. Store closures are absolutely imminent and looking to be accelerated. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bay stores start closing down this fall.

I got more info on Hudsons Bay. Overall sales decline is close to 80%. They're barely hanging on. Store closures are absolutely imminent and looking to be accelerated. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bay stores start closing down this fall.

During the Spanish Flu of 1918, they discouraged the closing of stores. There was no internet in those days, and with the incubation rate only of a couple of days, open stores was the only way to get goods.

During the Spanish Flu of 1918, they discouraged the closing of stores. There was no internet in those days, and with the incubation rate only of a couple of days, open stores was the only way to get goods.

Times have changed! Bay was already planning on shutting down their stores down slowly over the next few years. But with the Covid-19 situation, it has changed their plans drastically. Out of the 34 stores in Ontario, I'm confident close to half of those locations will be shut down. They do have some pretty shitty locations which are no brainers.

Some news from the Yanks:

J.C. Penney skips $12M interest payment, setting stage for possible bankruptcy

Dive Brief:

• J.C. Penney missed an interest payment on its senior notes that was due Wednesday, the retailer said in a securities filing.
  • The company said it "elected" not to make the roughly $12 million payment, which puts Penney into a 30-day grace period. It did so, "in order to evaluate certain strategic alternatives, none of which have been implemented at this time," Penney said in the filing.
  • Reuters reported earlier this week that Penney was considering a possible bankruptcy filing as it tries to manage its hefty debt load amid temporary store closures and the unprecedented COVID-19 pandemic and economic fallout.

So now we have AMC, JC Penny and Neiman Marcus being added to what appears to be an endless list of retailers...

Back