News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Nothing can beat the cleanliness of public restrooms in Iceland. Definitely the best collective condition of any country I've visited before.
IDK about Iceland, but Singapore was amazing for its cleanliness overall. Not one spot of litter, graffiti or even a pothole. And no vagrants sleeping in parks, public drug use or intoxication. I could live there.

I still recall the days where they made actual pies and cakes. They had refridgerated cakes and pies at the front counter along with eclairs. Presentation was everything and there was no sloppiness when it came to the icing on the donuts like there is today.

That said, I recall when they first started selling sandwiches in the 1990s. It was a big deal and designed to compete with Druxys, Country Style and Coffee time who were at the time selling packaged sandwiches.

They are great but their prepared foods will be their downfall. The reason Starbucks works so well is that they don't make sandwiches, bagels and everything to order, they take it from the fridge and heat it up. What you get is what you get. They focus on coffee and it works well.

Tims on the other hand has the made to order sandwiches, bagels etc and half the time they are improperly made or not very edible (think overtoasted bagels). I have yet to go to a Tim Hortons where someones order was not screwed up (Bagels, sandwiches, soups, etc).

Overtoasted bagels? I find that 9 out of 10 places anywhere cannot toast their bagels worth a damn. Most of the time it was barely toasted, with that pathetic looking (over)toasted edge. Not that their bagel is particularly edible to start, but undertoasting it makes it that much worse - a gummy, bready mess. You are much better served by heading over to Metro and pick up half dozen proper bagels from St Viateur for $4.79 - they toast beautifully to a crunchy golden brown.

I think the ultimate issue is that Tim's are cheap, and they prioritized looks over edibility. They're like the Washington Apples of breakfast food. And lord, does the breakfast sausage from Tim's reeks. It just turns me right off...ditto their sad hash browns. Yuck.

AoD

Last edited:
And lord, does the breakfast sausage from Tim's reeks. It just turns me right off...ditto their sad hash browns. Yuck.
Agreed, I can't imagine working there and coming home smelling like that breakfast sausage. McDonalds breakfast sandwich and hashbrown is so much better. And McD's coffee is good enough.

The best reference to the breakfast sandwich....

Tim Hortons is not an indispensable part of the Canadian experience. Rather, it is a place that sells a breakfast sandwich that tastes like a dishcloth soaked in egg yolk and left out overnight on top of a radiator.

Tims on the other hand has the made to order sandwiches, bagels etc and half the time they are improperly made or not very edible (think overtoasted bagels). I have yet to go to a Tim Hortons where someones order was not screwed up (Bagels, sandwiches, soups, etc).

I don't think the made to order sandwiches will be around much longer. Some locations are trying out the new pre-made menu items, like sandwiches. No whole wheat bread, lettuce or tomatoes , just day old white bread with meat and cheese warmed up in a machine, It's like prison food.

Not to mention the fact that Tim’s uses powdered eggs in its breakfast sandwiches, while McDonald’s uses real eggs. RBI seems to be open to a lot of different marketing approaches, but serving fresh, good quality food doesn’t seem to be a menu option.

One of my biggest peeves with Tim Hortons is their restrooms. So tiny, with just a single urinal, broken lock on stall, usually filthy, and those terribly loud hand dryers and then no way to open the door without touching the piss-encrusted door handle.

One of my favourite things about roadside eateries in the US is that their restrooms are always clean and maintained.
There was one news story about a woman in Langley, BC who intentionally defecated on the floor by the counter in Tim Hortons and using napkins as TP because she needed to relieve herself and because she refused to purchase anything, not even a Timbit: https://www.citynews1130.com/2018/0...licy-disturbing-incident-langley-tim-hortons/

There was one news story about a woman in Langley, BC who intentionally defecated on the floor by the counter
Well, at least that was something fresh produced at Timmies.

91poAYBa0pL._SL1500_.jpg

There were few things that I found to be edible at Tim Horton's, and that included the Crispy Chicken sandwiches that they bizarrely removed from their menus some time ago in favour of wraps.

Some of the wraps were decent, but I missed the Crispy Chicken. I eventually settled on a favourite go-to wrap, only to learn this summer that it has now been removed in favour of a burger-meal.

Why on earth would I go to Tim Horton's for a burger?

With this move, I lost any interest in Tim Horton's in even as a food-location of last resort. I'd rather just go hungry and save my money. Not like there is a shortage of McDonald's around for (superior) breakfast sandwiches, (superior) burgers and wraps, and (superior) coffee. They even prepare the orders much faster.

With this move, I lost any interest in Tim Horton's in even as a food-location of last resort. I'd rather just go hungry and save my money. Not like there is a shortage of McDonald's around for (superior) breakfast sandwiches, (superior) burgers and wraps, and (superior) coffee. They even prepare the orders much faster.
One of my favourite weekend things to do is to ride my old motorcycle into the countryside for a few hours and then find a coffee place. With their dodgy food and cramped, dirty restrooms (a good and large restroom is essential when you're wearing 30 lbs of leather, boots, helmet, etc.) I've now stopped going to Timmies, and instead look for a Starbucks (Uxbridge as one), there's more a more Starbucks opening in rural Ontario, perfect for a motorcycle stop.

Or even better I used Yelp to find an independent cafe. I found this one https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Restaurant/River-Street-Cafe-1675812345968693/ in Sunderland, and highly recommend it. Cute town too.

Last edited:

Back