News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I'm pretty impressed by Harvey's biodegradable straws. There was a bubble tea place who's straws became a soggy mess really quickly.

Depending on the type of pocket knife it can be considered a concealed weapon (the blade has to be of a certain length I believe). A typical swiss army knife would not be an issue but a proper knife or switchblade would be.
It's not the length, it is how they are opened.

I think we'll see more restos go back to re-usable cups/cutlery. I remember when TH's used to serve coffee in china mugs and food on plates/bowls with metal cutlery. These days, even if you say you will eat in they give you everything in disposable containers.

Scarborough Town Centre, Square One and The Eaton Centre all used to do proper dishes and cutlery in their food courts until just before Covid. Now everything is disposable.

My guess is that they removed them due to theft. The little ramekins, cutlery and even small bowls are easily pocketable.

Depending on the type of pocket knife it can be considered a concealed weapon (the blade has to be of a certain length I believe). A typical swiss army knife would not be an issue but a proper knife or switchblade would be.
Blade length has nothing to do with it, and a 'switchblade' is prohibited by definition. Without getting into a legal lesson, a pocket knife (or Leatherman multi-tool) is simply that under normal circumstances. You can carry one in your pocket to open a letter or, I suppose, cut your steak. I will concede that, in Toronto at least, the mere sight of such a thing, should it be deployed, would give many people vapours.

Complaining about soggy straws as some sort of excuse for why we can't solve this issue is just that - an excuse. Or that we can't cut steak with a wood spoon. How many people are cutting takeout steak? Really? You are probably talking about <1% of all takeout.

The fast food industry could solve this problem overnight, they have simply chosen not too because the cost of waste was passed on to the public and not borne by then at all.

Tim Hortons near me will still serve you coffee in a china mug, although they aren't consistent about it.

Now, we just need Tim’s to enact a deposit/return on their cups and lids so that they don’t continue as the #1 branded litter we see.

I'm in favour of a deposit system in Ontario for all aluminum cans, plastic bottles and coffee cups. Ontario is one of the few places in the modern world that doesn't have a depots on all plastic bottles and aluminum cans.

I got family in NY state, they keep every pop bottle and can in bags in the garage, when they are full they take it to the bottle return machines at the grocery store for store credit or cash. Knocks money off the grocery bill.

Tim Hortons near me will still serve you coffee in a china mug, although they aren't consistent about it.
I'm surprised. It's been a (really, really) long time since I sat in at a Tim's, but I would have assumed they long ago gave up the dishware washing and storage space for another Panini press, chili assembler or some such thing.

I have asked at Starbucks and been given China, but they don’t offer. My local indie coffee shop serves tea in an actual teapot with a China cup and saucer. It is lovely.

I'm surprised. It's been a (really, really) long time since I sat in at a Tim's, but I would have assumed they long ago gave up the dishware washing and storage space for another Panini press, chili assembler or some such thing.
I would not be surprised if they don't all do it. The one near me is a bit a-typical because it is also the Tim Hortons training centre. It is where they used to have their head office.

With Tim's, a lot of what specific franchises do is somewhat dependent on the franchisee. The dishes may simply be a matter of some franchises putting in the stock request to the centralized supply center in Guelph, and others not doing it.

I believe during the pandemic they all paused offering dishes and China cups in their restaurants.

Last edited:
I'm in favour of a deposit system in Ontario for all aluminum cans, plastic bottles and coffee cups. Ontario is one of the few places in the modern world that doesn't have a depots on all plastic bottles and aluminum cans.

I got family in NY state, they keep every pop bottle and can in bags in the garage, when they are full they take it to the bottle return machines at the grocery store for store credit or cash. Knocks money off the grocery bill.
The problem with plastic containers is that they are not useful in the recycling stream. There is no problem with aluminum cans--they are readily and highly recycled. A deposit system only helps with litter, not really recycling.

The problem with plastic containers is that they are not useful in the recycling stream. There is no problem with aluminum cans--they are readily and highly recycled. A deposit system only helps with litter, not really recycling.
Recycling was never going to something for plastic containers. I'm alright with them going underground, that's where plastic comes from anyway. What I want is to eliminate plastic litter and microplastic in our oceans. If we bury it responsibly, I think that's as good as we're going to get. Recycling plastic was always a scam, played upon us by the soda companies when they wanted to ditch refillable glass bottles, it never worked. I do support any measure that reduces single use plastics of any sort.

I'd say it was as much the petroleum/plastics industry trying to ensure their growth was not curtailed by regulations around waste. They very deliberately chose the resin identification code symbol to look like the recycling symbol.

I'd say it was as much the petroleum/plastics industry trying to ensure their growth was not curtailed by regulations around waste. They very deliberately chose the resin identification code symbol to look like the recycling symbol.
We should ditch the entire plastic recycling programs nationwide wide. Keep it for glass and paper…. maybe. Instead, make the importers, manufacturers and retailers who present single use plastics into the economy cover the cost of their disposal.

I’m an infrequent Tims customer, but I’m convinced there is less cream cheese on their bagels than before. Anyone else notice this?

I always scraped most of it off because I found it excessive so I would welcome this. However, it’s been eons since I have had a bagel there. I have been spoiled by Kettleman’s.

Back