News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
the key to S&P 500 and historic PE ratios is to factor in current low interest rates , investors are willing to pay more for S&P 500 due to historic low interest rates as compared to past higher interest rates

that and the fact we have a nice yield curve in US bonds, once the yield curve inverts (meaning short term rates higher then long term rates i will be cautious, as an inverted yield curve has predicted every recession , even the covid sell off
2019 yield curve inversion

I don't disagree with any of the above.

But, personally, for me, investing needs to be a rational choice.

That requires (for me), being able to look at the books and say, do I have a recoupable investment, based on current forward earnings.
I generally stay with investments that I believe have a reasonable prospect of that over a 15-year horizon (meaning forward P/E of 15 or less).

No rule is inviolable. Sometimes such ideas also preclude what turn out to be good investments (I never got on the Amazon bandwagon).
But I just can't talk myself into investing in a business whose model doesn't suggest to me a reasonable prospect of making back my money.

PS, I'm not long on everything. But I like when I see solid blue-chip stocks that trade down to 11 P/E, and then you ride them back up to 15 while they pay you to wait; often
over a space of only six months. A healthy return in the range of 40%, or 80% annualized.

Other people will have higher risk tolerances, but I'm quite content with that type of return, or even 1/2 as much with a reasonable confidence my investments have a very low risk of going to zero in a hurry.

I will sometimes look at a small-cap that I find interesting. But I need to understand their business model and be persuaded of the payoff. I would also tend to limit my exposure though on a higher-risk play.

Last edited:
I’m old school. I buy dividend bank stocks and one dividend-paying US market ETF and hold them. When the market crashed in 2008 I bought as much stock as I could and I’ve doubled my money over the last six years. No, it’s not Shopify money, but I’m satisfied.

I’m old school. I buy dividend bank stocks and one dividend-paying US market ETF and hold them. When the market crashed in 2008 I bought as much stock as I could and I’ve doubled my money over the last six years. No, it’s not Shopify money, but I’m satisfied.
yeah same here , one of my long term portfolios contains S&P 500 ETF, Big 5 Canadian banks , REIT ETF & Ulitity ETF, then just DRIP the dividends and watch it compound
IMG_20210909_025615.jpg

IMG_20211011_201903.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back