8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Literally nobody is saying that.

What the hell media are you reading/listening to?
All of it? The Toronto Star had a headline about how the Redditors had "shaken the foundations of modern democracy." That was a literal headline only about ten days ago. Meanwhile... I don't see much modern democracy changing. Indeed, nothing at all has changed. The coverage everywhere was laughing stock levels of stupid on all sides and all formats. Both CBC and FOX News were touting how hedge funds were collapsing and billionaires were on the cusp of losing everything (FOX noting they were all the evil communist billionaires, and CBC noting they were all the evil fascist billionaires; amazing they were both at the same time). Our media is gutter trash at even basic financial reporting. There are no good business reporters in Canada. There haven't been for 15 -20 years now. Everything was click bait infotainment junk news for people who had no clue what was happening but wanted to read something that would validate their personal world views, and them feel better about it happening.

All of it? The Toronto Star had a headline about how the Redditors had "shaken the foundations of modern democracy."
The Toronto Star isn't "all of it" and I'm not surprised that their pseudo-Marxist staff thought that that was a good headline.

Both CBC and FOX News were touting how hedge funds were collapsing and billionaires were on the cusp of losing everything (FOX noting they were all the evil communist billionaires, and CBC noting they were all the evil fascist billionaires; amazing they were both at the same time).
Again.....two rather wank new outfits. And, guess what.....communists and fascists have way more in common than they have in differences.

Our media is gutter trash at even basic financial reporting. There are no good business reporters in Canada. There haven't been for 15 -20 years now. Everything was click bait infotainment junk news for people who had no clue what was happening but wanted to read something that would validate their personal world views, and them feel better about it happening.
When you're stuck on the Star, CBC, and Fox....yeah, I see where you get this.

The Toronto Star isn't "all of it" and I'm not surprised that their pseudo-Marxist staff thought that that was a good headline.

Again.....two rather wank new outfits. And, guess what.....communists and fascists have way more in common than they have in differences.

When you're stuck on the Star, CBC, and Fox....yeah, I see where you get this.
I'm not stuck on any of those. I wouldn't be here if I was. You said about the issue at hand that in the media "Literally nobody is saying that." Don't waste my time hand waiving that false statement away with cheap, lazy, insults equivalent to "I only read news sources so smart you would never have heard of them".

where are the Game Stonk (GME) WallStreet Bets "never gonna sell" ,"take down the hedge funds " newbies who bought GME at $100,,200,300,+400 etc...
that was fast , knew this wouldn't end well for them.. , hopefully they learned something and don't give up on investing in the future
surprised they thought they could take down the Silver Futures market next , maybe POT stocks next ?? lol....

where are the Game Stonk (GME) WallStreet Bets "never gonna sell" ,"take down the hedge funds " newbies who bought GME at $100,,200,300,+400 etc...
that was fast , knew this wouldn't end well for them.. , hopefully they learned something and don't give up on investing in the future
surprised they thought they could take down the Silver Futures market next , maybe POT stocks next ?? lol....

Right? Honestly, if the United States federal government couldn't/wouldn't do anything to Wall Street after 2008, what on Earth did a few moron memesters on the internet think they could do? I was laughing at these people from day 1. Not that Wall Street should be let off the hook: we fucked up royally in the previous recession for not holding them accountable. But this BS doesn't cut it either.

Right? Honestly, if the United States federal government couldn't/wouldn't do anything to Wall Street after 2008, what on Earth did a few moron memesters on the internet think they could do? I was laughing at these people from day 1. Not that Wall Street should be let off the hook: we fucked up royally in the previous recession for not holding them accountable. But this BS doesn't cut it either.
It was a astroturf pump and dump.

I'm not stuck on any of those. I wouldn't be here if I was. You said about the issue at hand that in the media "Literally nobody is saying that."
Fair point.

Don't waste my time hand waiving that false statement away with cheap, lazy, insults equivalent to "I only read news sources so smart you would never have heard of them".
You're wasting your own time replying. Carry on.

I hadn't seen any of what you mentioned anywhere.

With people talking about electric vehicles being the future, seems like mining juniors are getting pretty popular. Fortunately for us Toronto, Canada is where much of the action unfolds on the market, and I guess by default Calgary where TSX.V is hq'd. Created a bit of a sub-portfolio with juniors that could take off going forward.

With people talking about electric vehicles being the future, seems like mining juniors are getting pretty popular. Fortunately for us Toronto, Canada is where much of the action unfolds on the market, and I guess by default Calgary where TSX.V is hq'd. Created a bit of a sub-portfolio with juniors that could take off going forward.
Like Admiral, I'm mostly an ETF investor. In the last year I've started getting into niche ETFs that focus on companies related to electric vehicles. CARS and EARK have both more than doubled in the last year. Quite a few ETFs focus on the mining space too.

Like Admiral, I'm mostly an ETF investor. In the last year I've started getting into niche ETFs that focus on companies related to electric vehicles. CARS and EARK have both more than doubled in the last year. Quite a few ETFs focus on the mining space too.

Definitely the right play. Set it and forget it. Still it can be fun doing one's own mining, researching if a company is sitting on a figurative (and sometimes literal) goldmine. More often than not it's a bust. Interestingly this coming week will be a a huge one for a different kind of mining (bitcoin).

I like the Vanguard ETFs that trade in Canadian dollars in the US market. You remove currency exchange risk. I'm a slow plodder, if I make a steady 15% annually I'm happy. I bought $10k of Canopy on a lark and it took a major dive, so now I have to hold it until I recoop

I like the Vanguard ETFs that trade in Canadian dollars in the US market. You remove currency exchange risk. I'm a slow plodder, if I make a steady 15% annually I'm happy. I bought $10k of Canopy on a lark and it took a major dive, so now I have to hold it until I recoop
It seems that way, but currency hedging is actually quite expensive and often worse for diversification. If things went really south and the Canadian dollar plummeted, you would be happy if your foreign stock holdings were not hedged to CAD.

Currency hedging reduces returns by around 1% per year. It's more the more volatile exchange rates are. It's important to remember that when you're buying stocks, you're not really exposed to currency fluctuations. You don't own USD, you own a business that happens to be valued in USD, but might have exposure to euro, yen, yuan, etc. like most multinationals.

Last edited:
I'd never trade anything CNBC or Bloomberg told me to. It' one of the biggest shark traps ever. Even when they work out the moves are small just to drive in liquidity in the market.
just create an algo that trades the exact opposite of Bloomberg of CNBC lol...

my take on what's happening now , the markets are having a small pullback to readjust to different interest rates specially in the 10 year US treasury yield , which went from 0.55% in August 2020 to 1.53 % now , keep calm and buy the dips IMO , bull market is not over yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back