News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
I thought it edges out any Future Shop I've been in, although far from groundbreaking. The holographic welcome video at the bottom of the escalator is tres-cool (until one heads up the escalator and quickly figures out how it works), it's spacious enough, product selections seemed good, but the layout could use some re-thinking. There are a few other display touches in the store which are unique such as the lighting display behind the camera counter. I agree it's a shame the windows to the Square are lost. It seemed to me that the windows are also shaded where the flat panels TV's are. Plasma TV's can't be sold in a brightly lit area because they perform poorly in such conditions hence the reason I suspect that much of the natural light in the south facing windows has been blocked off. Ideally the area where the PC's are and the flat panel TV's should be switched to enable opening up the window views and allowing people in the Square to see activity inside.

I was there earlier as well, while there wasn's a line up out the door and down the block (as I am sure there will be when they have the grand opening event) the store was buzzing with activity and more importantly it's open!

Regarding the mall area, it is obvious this building is still under construction and not finished. I am assuming many of the finishes / internal video displays etc. will be installed once construction nears completion. Based on the escalators and the atrium I think it will be an interesting place to people watch. Further, in most retail environments the Tenants, their store buildouts and merchandise always add value to what are generally vanilla boxes.

With respect to the windows, I am pleasantly surprised that more windows are not covered up (not that I would encourage that), there is more than enough natural light on Yonge street and corner of Yonge & Dundas. Retailers generally merchandise against walls (i.e. Best Buy across the street) so the fact that they have attempted to respect the transparency of the windows shows some innovation and respect of the building design. While it may not sound like much to those on this forum who think glazing is a qualifier to good design IMO they have done a great job at balancing what could have been glass that gets enclosed in drywall.

I'm looking for more to come at Toronto Life Square.

went in around 4.30 today and there were quite a number of people there. not a crowd, but still. as mentioned before, the interior is a step up from ur usual suburban FS and looks a bit better than the BB down the street. maybe it's cuz of the windows in the store and the view from them that give it that better quality of space.

it's too bad however that they tinted the glass on the south corner for the TV's. such a good view and it's being altered just for some displays. pfft.

anyone else see the 103' panasonic plasma? that thing is huge! liked how they had that whole wall of flat screens of differnet sizes arranged on that wall high up. same with the projection system at the customer service desk.

i talked to one of the workers there and he mentioned that the grand opening sale will be on the 30th and that they will be having a big event just like best buy had when they brough in beyonce for the concert. although he said they'll probably be bringing in some canadian talent for their grand opening. its too bad cuz they'll probably be donig this on dundas square in the freezing cold.

the interior can't be judged yet imo. it's not close to being done and could be very good when it is finished. but knowing penequity, the space probably won't be anything special until the theatres are ready to be used. the space almost reminds me of Empress Walk at north york center with that big atrium and the escalators criss-crossing it although this one is at a smaller scale.

Checked out the place this afternoon. It was the nicest looking futureshop I’ve been in (that’s not saying much). The building itself it very much a construction site and the futureshop is still not finished (the futureshop sign over the cash was held up with tape). The thing that bothered me the most about the store is that they covered the windows overlooking the square with plywood. Is there not a better space to showcase your plasma and LCD TV’s than on plywood sheets in front of the windows? Despite these issues, I think the buildings interior has some potential. People on this forum are a little too quick label the interior of this building a complete disaster; give it a few months before you start ranting about the Toronto cheap out.

I would agree with this assessment, though I'm not sure which windows you're referring to...the ones at the corner were all uncovered so you could view the square and corner.

I thought it looked unfinished, but then Futureshop stores don't have a very "finished" look. I agree it's far too early to make any judgments about the rest of the interior.

Yeah, people are jumping the gun.

Put it into perspective, only the FIRST tenant has opened and only for one day. That one tenant has a lot of polishing yet to come, not to mention that Metropolis's character will come more and more as the rest of the tenants take up their spot.

So for those who've been there, do you notice a mall style configuration? Will most people be going to each "store" through the interior or are stores directed principally to the outside entrances?

I think that TLS is nothing without the cinemas. They're what's going to attract all the people and fill the lobby.

I would agree with this assessment, though I'm not sure which windows you're referring to...the ones at the corner were all uncovered so you could view the square and corner.

I think Future Shop is all but done. It is lightly darker than it should be at night, and the windows looking out (which is nice) are tinted deep blue on the inside, or so it seemed. The store itself isn't bad, though if you look up, it's a lot of exposed pipes, vents, etc - I guess drop ceilings are officially dead for retail.

I'm not going to comment much on the interior, except I hope that concrete floor at the bottom floor at the Dundas entrance will be covered with something nicer. Way too early to judge.

So for those who've been there, do you notice a mall style configuration? Will most people be going to each "store" through the interior or are stores directed principally to the outside entrances?

I think that TLS is nothing without the cinemas. They're what's going to attract all the people and fill the lobby.

With the exception of Future Shop it looks like the stores on Yonge Street and Dundas, will only be accessible from the street. From what I could see below (where TLS connects to the subway) it looked to be more traditional. Up above, couldn't tell as it has been partinioned-off with drywall.

I don't think Future Shop had a very hard time attracting people, by the early evening they were doing lots of business. After all, it's on Yonge St. with tons of signage (as opposed to its sister concept on Dundas - Best Buy) and IMO it was a more pleasant shopping experience than BB or any other electronics retailer on Yonge St.

Without question the theatre is the heart of this project and it always has been, but I wouldn't count the retail out (w/r to drawing people). Further I think the theatres combined with the restaurants will be a great combination and I can't wait to enjoy a few pints from any of the outdoor terraces looking back at the T. I can't think of another restaurant in the area where you can do this...

I went in on Saturday....

..and there were lots of people..( a crowd.."almost")

I check'd out some DSLR cameras ( for my-part time job running a wannabe Maxium model site) and some cell phones ( i broke mine)...

There was a Radio show going live from inside the building. Z 103!!!

and OMG! ..I was face to face with Doug Gilmour....( he played for the Toronto Maple Leafs a few years back, right?)

Other than that it was pretty boring. They need to finish the floor and let the other tenants move in.

blah blah blah...

Interior Shots of Toronto Life. As you can see, it's far from finished, but I like the layout

Pardon the shaky hands
dsc00232ed3.jpg

dsc00231cl6.jpg

dsc00230we1.jpg

I was there today. I bought a printer. I was really just browsing to consider buying one soon, but the customer service was so good (imagine that!) that I ended up buying. A bonus: the store seemed to be all on sale. The printer sold for $69 instead of $99!

Futureshop is nice, although as has been said, the big downer is the windows being covered towards Dundas Sq. The good news is that the plywood covering the windows can't be seen from the square. The windows are tinted.

I still can't understand how Futurshop is using the very visible nose of TLS for a staff lunch room. Possibly they'll cover those windows as well and use them as showcases for products visible from the outside.

The rest of TLS is still too early too judge, although it's much smaller inside than I expected.

I continue to bet on the AMC theatres making or breaking Toronto Life Square.

That's a great idea. I should market the idea of building a showcase room against the windows facing dundas square for high impact, high visibility electronics such as plasmas facing the square.

That would really light the place up.

I continue to bet on the AMC theatres making or breaking Toronto Life Square.

Who would take that bet? The majority of the square footage is theatre space and about another quarter of the space is set up to feed food to theatre attendees.

Back