News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
It's not the City that is responsible for the non-denominational Holiday lights on Yonge Street, it's the Downtown Yonge BIA.

Just so you know who to carp at.

Downtown Lights

On the topic of Christmas lights... does anyone know why the city didn't bother lighting up University Avenue at all last year? It totally sucked.

I HATE the fact that the city leaves those Christmas lights hanging from the poles year round. I suspect that because they never take them down the bulbs are all burnt out and nobody at the city of Toronto knows who is responsible for replacing them.

The Government of Ontario should really take responsibility for the apperance and maintaince of University Avenue. Being the key gateway to the Provincial Legislature it deserves attention.

It should either pay the city of Toronto for major annual upkeep or create a new Provincial Capital Region agency responsible for it.

As for the Yonge BIA Christmas lights, I complained directly to the Executive Director about them 2 years ago. Hopefully this will be the last year they will use them and will invest in a new display for 2008.

Speaking of Christmas light displays, has anybody seen the lights being installed in NPS?, specifically the ones over the skating rink. Very impressive imo! I can't wait for them to turn on the lights on this weekend. Also I haven't heard about the Old City Hall projection returning again this year. Too Bad, it was a huge hit last year.

Louroz

looks pretty crappy, i might be the excess white, but it does not look good. the prevalence of backlits also looks cheap to an extent.

Yeah, as ugly as the backlit ads are, they are bright, bright, bright!!!

I noticed some people just staring at them. And Dundas Square seems to be always overrun with frenetic activity.

i think something similar to the display they had on Cumberland Street during Nuit Blanche would be awesome on Yonge Street during the Christmas season, with more Christmassy colours... we should get over String Lights... they're so... 20th century..

btw.. we should probably start a new thread somewhere and name it Crappy Yonge Street Lighting Experience.

Pic of Cumberland:
n122602698_34417777_2571.jpg

i think something similar to the display they had on Cumberland Street during Nuit Blanche would be awesome on Yonge Street during the Christmas season, with more Christmassy colours... we should get over String Lights... they're so... 20th century..

btw.. we should probably start a new thread somewhere and name it Crappy Yonge Street Lighting Experience.

Pic of Cumberland:
n122602698_34417777_2571.jpg

and also Crappy University Ave Lighting Experience

^...and crappy Spadina lighting displays... Just what are those things supposed to be anyway? Christmas Chinese lanterns? Christmay easter eggs?

i believe they are supposed to be lanterns... though they are a bit too elongated to actually be lanterns.. though some Korean and Japanese lanterns do take the more elongated shape.

and that being said, under Toronto Issues, I will begin a thread on The Crappy Toronto Light Experience

I finally saw the lunchroom for Futureshop. That's definitely a bad location! You'd think they want to put retail there, designed to appeal from street level.

I give them credit for giving their employees a nice view though.

I hope, since it would be kinda cool, that they put up a bunch of LCD screens on the windows to do more advertising... it would certainly be better than staring at a bunch of employees eating, chatting, flirting, or whatever FS employees do on their breaks...

Back