News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
I would like to see the view from Amborski's office. From the 3rd floor planning studio all you can see is the dump on the roof of the Imperial Pub and 277 Victoria St. Come to think of it... 277 Victoria blocks the view of TLS from the entire building... he lied!

Didn't see this until recently...from the Ryersonian:

Behind the big screen
One step into Dundas Square and you’re lambasted with flashing video screens and loud, colourful advertisements.

But for once, there’s something other than ads posted at Yonge and Dundas Streets. And the artwork can be credited to a handful of Ryerson students.

Megan Grittani-Livingston/Special to The Ryersonian

The artwork of Diana Brucculieri, a third-year new media student shows her video alongside a billboard for the Spiderman 3 DVD after she won a contest to have her video displayed on the giant screen.

Elena Potter, who is in her third year of photography, walked through the busy intersection recently. She saw an image of a ghostly girl, haunting a staircase in fast-morphing black-and-white panels, breaking through the ad-driven clutter.

The 30-second video is Potter’s own creation, posted for the estimated 62,100 people who pass through the intersection every day.

Potter is one of eight Ryerson student artists whose work is being featured on the 10 by 17-metre high-definition Toronto Life Square screen, which came on display last week, when Potter saw her work for the first time.

She tilted her face up to the panel from her seat in Dundas Square, and smiled as her second-year visual studies project took over a coveted space that’s normally reserved for commercial advertisements.

“That was surreal,” she said beaming when the clip ended. “I didn’t realize what a big deal it was until right now.” Potter added that her work has never been exhibited outside the image arts school.

Videos by Diana Brucculieri, a third-year new media student, and Amir Charmchi, a fourth-year photography student, are also playing on the Toronto Life Square screen.

Brucculieri’s animation features tri-coloured bars rising and falling like sound meters against a sketch of the Toronto skyline.

“That looks amazing,” Potter said, watching her visual studies classmate’s work dominate the screen.

Brucculieri said she’s pleased with the display. But she’s also hard on herself.

“If I could go back, I would totally refine that animation,” she said, adding that this project was her first time working with the software used to create the video. She says she’s more familiar with it now.

Both Potter and Brucculieri said they hadn’t planned to enter the contest that got their work on the display, advertised as the largest outdoor contoured screen in Canada. But their visual studies teacher, Pierre Tremblay, entered their work anyway.

Both students said they were shocked when they won.

Tim Conway, PenEquity vice-president of media said a Toronto public art commission names a percentage of new commercial buildings that must be devoted to cultural content.

For Toronto Life Square, PenEquity decided to display art on the outdoor screen and the indoor visual network.

“Our inclination is to always keep something going with students,” Conway said.

That idea began a formal process for a contest which would select and celebrate the work of eight students for display on the board.

Potter and Brucculieri said they aren’t sure how long their art will be up on the display, but for now they’re just basking in the exposure.

After all, their work is running in the screen’s Digital Art Gallery alongside a video by renowned Canadian visual artist and officer of the Order of Canada, Michael Snow.

He also created the famous geese hanging in the Eaton Centre and the gold-painted audience sculptures greeting visitors on the north side of the Rogers Centre.

“Michael Snow? He’s a big deal,” Potter said, flabbergasted to see her art running alongside his.

A formal launch of the student art will be arranged in the next few weeks.

Despite all the ugliness of the building, the excessive advertising and flashy lights is making this a very spectacular part of the city unlike anywhere else in TO. I'm sure it will evolve over time into something better than expected

So Penequity did not build Maple Leaf Gardens????

lol!!

No, but they did buy it before Loblaws... 7 years ago. Still not developed...

Maple Leaf Gardens taken off market
Last Updated: Friday, November 3, 2000 | 4:28 PM ET

CBC Sports

The sale of Maple Leaf Gardens has been put on hold after a dispute over the plan to develop the 69-year-old building.

The major problem between developer PenEquity Management Corp. and Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment was over the 5,000-seat rink the Leafs insisted on having as a practice facility.

"They confirmed that putting the rink in would not work, was not financially viable," Bob Hunter, senior vice-president of Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment, said Friday.

"In our long-range planning we wanted to go back there as a tenant and still would like to see that happen so it was a major point within our agreement."

Hunter, who declined to say how much the deal was worth, said the Gardens is off the market while Maple Leaf Sports looks at other proposals originally submitted to see if one will work.

"If not, then we would look at putting the building back on the market some time next year," said Hunter.

Maple Leaf Sports' vision for the building is to turn it into a mid-size sports and entertainment complex with shops and residential dwellings with a rink that could also double as a concert facility.

The rentable area after rink seating was reduced from its current 15,000 to 5,000 fell short of expectations, said Keith Travis, PenEquity's development manager for the project.

Construction costs in ventilation, heating and air conditioning were going to be higher than expected, the economic forecast of revenue from the rink/concert hall were disappointing and the cost of adding residential space was expensive, added Travis.

"It's a very difficult project and there's a number of factors that unfortunately brought us to the conclusion that the program that we originally envisioned was not feasible," he said.

The rink either had to be eliminated entirely or moved within the building to a different level or to a corner, he said.

But PenEquity hasn't given up entirely on the project.

"We believe there are alternatives that could result in re-opening discussions about the property," said Travis.

The deal was off as of Thursday.

This will not affect the auction of Gardens memorabilia that will take place at the rink on Nov. 19, said Hunter.

The Maple Leafs left the Gardens to move into the Air Canada Centre in February of 1999 though the team continues to use it as a practice facility.

The arena is home to lacrosse, junior hockey, concerts and other events yet it is underused and lost more than $1 million last year, according to Leafs ownership.

By Donna Spencer

I kinda wonder: will the Leaf's just move back into MLG when they realize the real estate they're sitting on (ACC) is more valuable than their old arena? After looking at the photos from the '30's, I certainly hope so!

the Union Station connecting has proved to be crucial for the ACC. How did people get to games before??

No, I mean at Maple Leaf Gardens. How did people get there? Driving? College Street car? I guess it was close enough that people took the subway and got off at College.... ok, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. College Station has the Leafs and Habs murals right?

I guess I was too little to remember.

No, I mean at Maple Leaf Gardens. How did people get there? Driving? College Street car? I guess it was close enough that people took the subway and got off at College.... ok, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. College Station has the Leafs and Habs murals right?

I guess I was too little to remember.

Exactly. Besides the streetcar route that runs right by it, it's a just a few minutes from College station.

I remember some my first few Leaf games at MLG and how much I hated the subway because of the screeching. Those were the days.

So did anybody get any shots of the third piece of the tri-vision? Looking at previous photos, I assume that there are six more to go. Correct?

Back