News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Hard to see in the pics smunky posted, but the worker in the first picture is installing brackets for a sign which will soon go up next to the future shop sign on Dundas. More brackets were being installed on the Yonge Dundas corner over the LED ticker for another sign. Im guessing they will be AMC signs?

That second picture is breathtaking smunky! Its funny what a nice angle and the right lighting can do for a building - wish the same could be said for the Hakim site...

I love how they completely neglect to remove snow from the square, as if it just doesn't really matter. Nothing says 'dead wasted space' in the supposed 'heart' of downtown than snowdrifts.

I love how they completely neglect to remove snow from the square, as if it just doesn't really matter. Nothing says 'dead wasted space' in the supposed 'heart' of downtown than snowdrifts.

Well, I'm sure the city has other more pressing snow clearing priorities than making Dundas Square look pretty.

So true...sadly.

If there were a local business/merchants association that really cared about attracting customers to the area and saw TLS as a draw to pull people into their stores, they would have had their own crew out immediately.

But, just like tearing up concrete and laying down a splatter of asphalt afterwards or escalators that remain inoperative for weeks or snow routes that really aren't, who cares.

a

That second picture is breathtaking smunky! Its funny what a nice angle and the right lighting can do for a building - wish the same could be said for the Hakim site...

Breathtaking? From any angle this building is an unmitigated travesty. If with another few months of they are able to cover up another 30% of its deadly gray skin with more of the promised frills (like that LED light pole, and the Toronto Life signs on the roof), and future ads are better thought out, then it may be improved enough to be marginally acceptable. As of this moment however the building remains a huge insult to Torontonians.

Allow me to clarify. I agree completely - Metropolitis is a cancer on Y/D square. I was merely commenting that from that precise angle, Dundas really looks like it has its own little canyon. I think TLS looks ok from that angle because it hides much of the hideous gray skin and emphasizes the kink which follows the road.

Hate the building, love the photo is what I'm trying to say I guess...

Allow me to clarify. I agree completely - Metropolitis is a cancer on Y/D square. I was merely commenting that from that precise angle, Dundas really looks like it has its own little canyon. I think TLS looks ok from that angle because it hides much of the hideous gray skin and emphasizes the kink which follows the road.

Hate the building, love the photo is what I'm trying to say I guess...
to add upon that, it almost looks like the atrium media tower is part of the TLS wall as well. just one continuous wall of ads making it seem that there is no break between buildings.

So true...sadly.

If there were a local business/merchants association that really cared about attracting customers to the area and saw TLS as a draw to pull people into their stores, they would have had their own crew out immediately.

But, just like tearing up concrete and laying down a splatter of asphalt afterwards or escalators that remain inoperative for weeks or snow routes that really aren't, who cares.

a

FYI, local business/merchant association = Downtown Yonge BIA. When a city gets near historical record amounts of snow, what do you expect? Every little corner to be picture perfect in three days? Get a grip.

Why are so many Torontonians so negative about our city? Yeah sure things could be done better - as is the case in NYC, London, LA, Chicago, Paris, etc., but come on people get over your civic insecurities!!!!!!!!!!!! No city is perfect!

Sorry all, but I just get so sick and tired seeing every thread go to pot with general bitch stamements about the city.

Breathtaking? From any angle this building is an unmitigated travesty. If with another few months of they are able to cover up another 30% of its deadly gray skin with more of the promised frills (like that LED light pole, and the Toronto Life signs on the roof), and future ads are better thought out, then it may be improved enough to be marginally acceptable. As of this moment however the building remains a huge insult to Torontonians.

Unmitigated travesty? Huge insult to Torontonians? Are you being serious? :confused:

Actually, while the BIA might be dropping the ball on Dundas Square's snow removal I was really impressed the other day when I saw teams of guys in red "Downtown Yonge" snowsuits shovelling the slush out of all of the crosswalks. As attractive as a clear square might be I was much happier about not having to trudge through icy puddles at every intersection

FYI, local business/merchant association = Downtown Yonge BIA. When a city gets near historical record amounts of snow, what do you expect? Every little corner to be picture perfect in three days? Get a grip.

We expect it to be cleared, in prime public locations. It's true there has been record snowfall but if you've been around here long enough to notice you'd see that clearing snow in the city's downtown "showpiece" plaza has never been a priority. A 'trail' or two to facilitate people cutting across the square is usually all that's cleared, which just doesn't seem like the best or most creative use for the site.

Why are so many Torontonians so negative about our city? Yeah sure things could be done better - as is the case in NYC, London, LA, Chicago, Paris, etc., but come on people get over your civic insecurities!!!!!!!!!!!! No city is perfect!

Did everybody catch this?! No wining from now on, and no expectations either, or we may seem insecure:rolleyes:

Sorry all, but I just get so sick and tired seeing every thread go to pot with general bitch stamements about the city.

This way to exit.......................................................................>

Yes, this is the issue really isn't it? Whether it's uncleared snow, broken gum-stained sidewalks, asphalt patches, dead trees or ugly wooden poles there is clearly a lack of attention to or care for the public realm that is not being addressed. Then again, that would be bitching and wining, wouldn't it? Somebody check with Bar please to see if this is okay???

A few cleared paths on the snow filled square, I think, are more than adequate for the few weeks when there is a lot of snow. As for dead trees, wooden hydro poles, etc., yes, the city needs to pay more attention to the streetscape.

Back