News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Lights went out at TLS for Earth Hour...

2373067790_97b29b7a8d_b.jpg

But it took them almost three minutes to turn them all off. It doesn't take a flick of the switch!

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=9xdUTD6zgvw

I'm surprised it didn't take two years to turn them all back on - in true Penequity tradition.

Now trying to get back on topic:

I visited Toronto Life Square today after Earth Hour and came out with some hope regarding this currently disjointed, roughed in building...

Lobby
Starbucks is now open which is adding a bit of life to the main lobby. Unfortunately, there is no seating at all for Starbucks. That's uncharacteristic for the Seattle coffee store.

Regardless of the new dynamic of the lobby, it doesn't represent TLS well at all. As your first impression when walking into the building, it's quite poor.

Like it or not, Toronto Life Square is going to become a Toronto icon. Its lobby shouldn't be so anti climatic and disappointing. It promises so much from the outside but when you enter, you fall flat on your face.

Adidas has added a bridge over the escalator well that will allow access to and from TLS's lobby. However, the space where it leads to -- under the escalators onto AMC's ticket booths-- is tight so i'm not sure how the traffic will flow.

AMC + Food Court

I'm getting a better feeling for TLS now that i'm standing in the food court typing this.
The amazing view both along Yonge and on to the corner of Yonge and Dundas are going to make this place great.

I'm imagining it with all the food outlets and their bright and creative signs and picturing it full of people.

It's a very wide open and airy space (the same cannot be said for the south food court at the well established Eaton Centre).

I had concern for the flow of traffic of people exiting a movie. The original perception was that they would come out the front AMC lobby and down into and through a busy foodcourt.

There is however, a foodcourt by-pass with an AMC exit right near the foodcourt-to-FutureShop down escalator. This is the main exit from the cinemas so there shouldn't be a problem.

Outside

AMC is in fact adding a movie poster board above their sign on Dundas.

EXtreme fitness is also adding a (very) large sign along Dundas right next to the AMC entry sign.

Overall impression

Toronto Life Square still has a long way to go (surprisingly including their namesake signs) but I feel that it can be a great place once it's polished and tenants hold PenEquity's feet to the fire.

For example, what's up with the grey cheap floor thoughout the building? Could they not afford tiles? It looks permanent but hopefully it'll be improved upon once the building is fully populated.

Let's see how this place looks by the end of the summer and moving into the profitable and "high-advertising-budget" Christmas shopping season.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it's all shaping up. I am disappointed there aren't more entertainment options though.

Outside

AMC is in fact adding a movie poster board above their sign on Dundas.

I know its a long shot at best but I always thought it would be cool to make each of those signs LED and have the movie trailer playing with the show times on a ticker below.

It's not a long shot actually. TLS has large LCD screens all over the inside oft he building and even a large LED screen -- which is way too bright for indoor use -- inside the lobby.

That underscores how affordable LEDs and LCDs are becoming. I wouldn't be surprised if they use them on the movie poster bracket that they're adding.

I'd love to see LED boards too, but I think the city only gave them permission for backlits in that spot. Shame tho, it'd be cool to even have LED's in the middle with backlits on either side. Every little bit of animation is going to help that building.

The more signs that get added to TLS, the better it looks... at night. During the day, you can still see the ugly building behind it all.

Unlike Torch, I think that TLS is remediable without drastically altering the place.

I think that PenEquity has created a shell that needs to be filled up and added on to by the tenants of the building.

I fully expect that around the fall when the Christmas ad budgets kick in, we're going to see at least one long term ad tenant going up.

I hope that SHARP replaces their ad under the screen with a customized neon sign to compete with the LG sign across the corner. Something centered that follows the contour of the curved screen would be nice.

I'm dying to see what a long term advertiser could do with the central vertical ad. Coca-Cola, where are you??

I hate coke. It tastes like robot sweat.

I'd rather see something unique there that hasn't already been done in every other city with one of these ad squares.

All of the posts regarding the opening of the new AMC cinemas at Toronto Life Square have been moved to this thread in the Toronto Issues sections.

Please add all future posts regarding the cinemas there.

It was a little dicey splitting the posts off in some cases - apologies to anyone who is a bit ruffled if they think their post should not have been relocated.

Bell is now open. Rogers and Bell both have their signs up. (Its funny that they are next door. Thats some serious competition)

I wonder which way the sidewalk is inclining to...lol. I can imagine an undecided person standing in front of both doors and wondering which one to pick.

Back