News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
'Advertainment' dazzles Toronto Life Square

TheStar.com - entertainment - 'Advertainment' dazzles Toronto Life Square

April 12, 2008
Peter Goddard

Finding an A-list of Toronto's new media artists involved with the Toronto Life Square project is a bit of welcome good news for the much-maligned development spearheaded by AMC, the theatre chain out of Kansas City.

Now the development on the north-east corner of Yonge and Dundas Sts. can point to all the award-winning artists it's brought on board, including John Massey, Vera Frankel, Lisa Steele and Kim Tomczak, John Oswald, Michael Snow, David Rokeby and Robert Fung.

But this is not unexpected news, exactly. Public art is a city-requirement for many real estate developments, although that usually means sculpture fixed in poured concrete.

(A minimum of one per cent of what's called "gross construction costs" on the part of any developer is "recommended" by the city to go to the creation of public art.)

The real news is the degree to which digital art – such as Snow's Fridge, a 60-second-long piece about the meaning of a minute – is integrated into the endless blitz of commercial messages lighting up the intersection of Yonge and Dundas Sts.

Computer programming mixes the art videos with the onslaught of familiar commercials on 30 major monitors inside the four-storey complex.

The same visual fusillade is found on the huge, 150 sq. m exterior screen looking southwest over Yonge St. high up on the site's façade on the northeast corner. (There's some additional 2,195 sq. m of plain old static commercial space affixed to the exterior of the building – as if this façade needed to look any funkier.)

"Our deal with the city is to run two minutes of art every hour," says Tim Conway for developer PenEquity Management. "So we can use the art to bookend commercial messages. `Advertainment' is the best way to describe the atmosphere here. We're trying to make it amusing as well as commercial."

So, even in these early days, we can see the fine line between artistic output and commercial content being further blurred here.

For instance, what will distinguish Toronto artist David Rokeby's stylish renderings of video surveillance of the Yonge-Dundas intersection – his is the one art project not quite finished yet – with video caught by the building's security's surveillance cameras examining the very same heavily travelled area?

The $500,000 PenEquity spent on digital art this year alone – out of the total $1 million the developer must ante up to fulfill its public art commitment – underlines the overwhelming importance of the site's visual content beyond its architecture.

Arts consultant Jane Zeidler, art curator for the development says the remaining money promised to the city by the developer will be parcelled out at $50,000 per annum for the next 10 years.

"But $50,000 isn't much in the art world," she admits. "So I'm thinking of something other than digital (work)."

As it is now, about 50 per cent of the project's entire revue comes from ads shown on its video monitors throughout the building. That's why its 24 AMC movie screens, 10 to be used as lecture halls by Ryerson University students during the day, are located on the top, fourth floor of the some 46,500 sq. m development.

Going to a show? Video monitors begin selling you stuff, with a bit of art as part of the mix, the second you step through the street-level doors. More message-ready monitors wait for you up the four floors worth of escalator banks. It takes 30 seconds to go from floor to floor, plenty of time to develop a mighty big hunger for a burger and Coke.

Don't worry about those extra calories, though. The complex includes an Extreme Fitness gym. Call ahead. Forgot your cellphone? Don't worry, Bell and Rogers both have shops there.

Feeling a bit peckish after the show? The developers know you'll spend an average of 33 minutes in the food court surrounded by monitors on the third floor. Yet it's this particular setting, a favourite with students, which may prove to be the complex's real addition to the city's artistic landscape.

Video by eight Ryerson students, each given $1,000, is already part art series showing on heavy rotation in this area. With student video involvement guaranteed to continue the next 10 years, art may outlive all those Whopper ads.

pgoddard@thestar.ca

I don't mind that particular TTC sign. I don't find it difficult to understand. The words "EXIT" and "Dundas Street" and a streetcar icon would have sufficed.

As for TLS itself, I was down there today and it doesn't look any hotter in person. I suppose I'll wait till it's done done, but right now it looks brutal.

I had the occasion to use this complex tonight on way home from work, since the printer that I bought at FS last November now needs ink.

One likes to be positive but this TLS thing resembles a train wreck. Inside, I mean. Outside is blah, but inside, well, did I say some time ago someone ought to be slapped (yes, this is from someone who does not condone violence). Did someone somewhere say this pile of debris cost 90M to erect? That is one for Ripleys.

I sometimes feel like making someone answer for this mess.

It is such a shame that something that had so much potential turned out like garbage. Overheard some teens leaving the subway saying "this is supposed to be our Times Square???".

One likes to be positive but this TLS thing resembles a train wreck. Inside, I mean. Outside is blah, but inside, well, did I say some time ago someone ought to be slapped (yes, this is from someone who does not condone violence). Did someone somewhere say this pile of debris cost 90M to erect? That is one for Ripleys.

I have to agree. The whole place looks like an afterthought - or half-thought. The structure is a big disappointment - inside and out.

I wonder if they'll ever declare this place "finished". I'll certainly never consider it finished as long as PenEquity's grubby hands still hold the deed.

Hey, I was inside to watch a movie the other day and I saw a Harvey's sign inside the food court.

OMG! i was sooooo happy. It's been a while ( since I was in university) that there has been a Harvey's at Yonge and Dundas.

By the way: The connection to Dundas Subway looks to be complete and people are using it. Or am I mistaken?

^ well, it's about time. I hope they repave that sidewalk and remove the fencing pronto. It's been over 10 years since people could walk freely on an open sidewalk on the NE corner of Yonge + Dundas.

Probable to say Addidas, Jack Astor's, Extreme Fitness and Rogers Plus will be open by the end of the month.

Johnny Rockets, Chipotle and Milestones likely in the summer...

Now if they would only install the "Toronto Life Square" Art Deco Sign on Yonge!

Hey, I was inside to watch a movie the other day and I saw a Harvey's sign inside the food court.

OMG! i was sooooo happy. It's been a while ( since I was in university) that there has been a Harvey's at Yonge and Dundas.

By the way: The connection to Dundas Subway looks to be complete and people are using it. Or am I mistaken?

When did Harvey's in Toronto stop selling Church's Chicken? When I lived in Toronto in the 90's it was one of my favourites.

I actually have no problems with the interior. I prefer the polished concrete floors and exposed beams. Weren't we at one point complaining that this would turn out to be just a generic mall? I don't know if cost is the reason they went with the industrial look. It doesn't cost that much to throw some ceramic tiles down. And regarding the Future Shop, I like this too. When you go up the escalators you're eye to eye with the ads across the street. You really get the sense that you're in the middle of the city. Now if we're talking about the exterior, there's plenty to bitch about.

Back