News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Jack Astors looks to be 100% done. They look ready to open any day now. All the hoarding was taken down and it appears that the only thing left to finish is to install the sign above the entrance. There were many people inside. I actually thought it was open but I think it was a little "job fair".

Ya ... It's opening MAY 5 :), as indicated on the jack astors website

..oh one more thing, I was really hoping to have an awesome subway entrance like that in Times Square.. again, disappointed. The sign on the door isn't even backlit (yet)

299, you've completely missed that the connection isn't finished. Behind that dry wall is a wider corridor and a second set of double doors.

I don't know what to expect from a subway connection to TLS, but this is not it. It's not finished yet.

299, you've completely missed that the connection isn't finished. Behind that dry wall is a wider corridor and a second set of double doors.

I don't know what to expect from a subway connection to TLS, but this is not it. It's not finished yet.

Yeah, the entrance will be better, but the super-narrow escalators will be a problem, not only subway passengers, but PATH users and those simply going from street level to the lower level tenants like Shoppers. This is going to be one of PenEquity's biggest mistakes.

What gives me hope for TLS is that shopping spaces are ever changing. They're really never "finished". Nothing is going to be there forever.

If the need arises, they can narrow the stairs and add wider escalators. Better yet, they could have just eliminated the down escalators entirely. People can walk down a flight of stairs.

On another note: On my ride down one of said super-narrow escalators today - I think from level 3 to level 2, but I'm not sure - I couldn't help but notice that it goes right by a sprinkler pipe when one sprinkler heads passed within, like, a foot of my face.

So I don't know exactly how these things work, but I had a brief, insane, desire to reach out and flick the little glass cylinder inside. Would that have set the whole thing off? And if so, how long before some drunk theatregoer makes good on my impulse?

On another note: On my ride down one of said super-narrow escalators today - I think from level 3 to level 2, but I'm not sure - I couldn't help but notice that it goes right by a sprinkler pipe when one sprinkler heads passed within, like, a foot of my face.

So I don't know exactly how these things work, but I had a brief, insane, desire to reach out and flick the little glass cylinder inside. Would that have set the whole thing off? And if so, how long before some drunk theatregoer makes good on my impulse?

Holy shit, I didn't know how these things worked either, but did some research and found this rather informative paper.

http://www.firesprinklers.info/images/How sprinklers work edited.pdf

with a little flick!!!This place will be under a couple of inches of water

Yeah, the entrance will be better, but the super-narrow escalators will be a problem, not only subway passengers, but PATH users and those simply going from street level to the lower level tenants like Shoppers. This is going to be one of PenEquity's biggest mistakes.

Super-narrow escalators are also a problem at Maritime Life at Queen...

I asked a fireman about that the other day at work. He was doing a segment for CP24 at our store on fire safety. Each one goes off seperately... that way water damage is minimized.

Super-narrow escalators are also a problem at Maritime Life at Queen...

I use those escalators every day. They're a pain, especially the few ladies that rush other passengers only to stand there on the way up, but TLS has the extra consideration of trying to get non-subway users to visit the tenants below the ground level. The ones at TLS seem even narrower, but it could be the "brushes" along the sides.

C'mon, you guys who were expecting some grand new subway entrance are delusional. This is the TTC! They are the zen masters of the half-assed, in-efficient and cheap.

Back