News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
i disagree. i think it is a showcase mall and should be made to be one. the location alone gives it that right. malls in the suburbs are better looking than this. hell even centrepoint and hillcrest look better.

Well with all the exterior advertising don't you think it at least lives up to the original plan for the site. - I'm pretty sure you won't find people standing in the parking lot of Hillcrest or Centerpoint taking pictures of the exterior of either.

You guys seem to get flustered to easily. The mall fits in with it's surroundings quite nicely. And the interior, we will have to assume, is a work in progress.

Caltrane - you, on the other hand, are happy with everything, and while that may give you long life like those yogourt-raised goat herders in central Asia, may you live long and prosper, it just doesn't seem possible for a number of us to accept just anything.

Well with all the exterior advertising don't you think it at least lives up to the original plan for the site. - I'm pretty sure you won't find people standing in the parking lot of Hillcrest or Centerpoint taking pictures of the exterior of either.

You guys seem to get flustered to easily. The mall fits in with it's surroundings quite nicely. And the interior, we will have to assume, is a work in progress.

That's the sad part though. It shouldn't just fit in (and arguably doesn't); it should have been something that elevated the area.

They could've created a mall with the same purpose and billboard advertising with a much better design.

Caltrane - you, on the other hand, are happy with everything, and while that may give you long life like those yogourt-raised goat herders in central Asia, may you live long and prosper, it just doesn't seem possible for a number of us to accept just anything.

In this case, whether possible or not, you guys will have to accept it. Because its a done deal.

However feel free to bitch and whine.

^Well that's what the forum is about right? I've never got the impression one should be happy with something because they have no say in how it'll turn out.

I have never seen a can factory covered in Neon and LED Video screens before, but ok..

- Come to think of it, I've never seen a can factory period.

The building looks like a can factory imo. But if it'll make you happy, it'd make a really nice can factory (many factories have working exterior fans, too). ;)

I've stated in earlier posts that this building deserves more screens, video, winky-blinkies and other lit up bits and pieces. These things are not part of the building structure, but they should be used to cover it.

In this case, whether possible or not, you guys will have to accept it. Because its a done deal.

I, and I suspect many others, will happily continue to do so, justifiably. We can't afford to accept mediocrity of this magnitude at such an important location. Have you ever heard any politician issue an utterance approaching praise of this thing? No, the silence is deafening, and that says a lot. They know what a disaster it's been - first that it took a decade and some threats to even get Pen Equity to build, and then that we wind up with the ugliest, downright affront to basic good design POS of a building at the heart of what's supposed to be Toronto's tourist centre. It's a civic embarrassment no matter how you slice it. Like others have mentioned, even generic suburban malls have more design appeal.

And things most certainly are not a done deal - the squeaky wheel gets the grease. The more people that loudly complain for a long time, the better the chance for change to occur and somehow magically improve this thing. I'm hoping it fails miserably as it's in dire need of a complete makeover already upon completion.

its a done deal.

Exactly. And that reality is what's triggering such explosive reactions.

Refresh my memory: Was this designed and built by a group of grade 4 kids who won a contest? If that's the case then maybe we are over-reacting.

Pen Equity: Architects? Haha! What's that?

And things most certainly are not a done deal - the squeaky wheel gets the grease. The more people that loudly complain for a long time, the better the chance for change to occur and somehow magically improve this thing. I'm hoping it fails miserably as it's in dire need of a complete makeover already upon completion.

Be sure to get in touch with Kyle Rae about your concerns. I'm sure he'll get right on it.

Exactly. And that reality is what's triggering such explosive reactions.

Refresh my memory: Was this designed and built by a group of grade 4 kids who won a contest? If that's the case then maybe we are over-reacting.

Yup, that's what makes me mad about it. It's done, and there's nothing we can do. We're stuck with it, as I said previously in another post.

Some of the vitriol directed at this building is also due to the fact that on some level it has come to represent that which is/was fundamentally wrong with the city in terms of low aspirations, wasted opportunities, local corruption and bungling, etc, etc. How many threads on this site are filled with these very issues? On a more positive note I'd like to think that this mess would be far less possible in the Toronto of 2008, that the city has turned the corner on some of these issues. At best TLS will be ignored as a building completely engulfed by consumerism, at worst it will come to stand as a stark reminder of what can go very wrong when a city stops caring.

This is an excellent point.

To add to caltrane's point...

What were you expecting from a building with Harvey's, burger joints and a movie theatre? Come on. Be realistic. This isn't a museum, art gallery or skyscraper. To expect blockbuster stuff from this building is laughable. In fact, if you were expecting a marvel, then the current building is a testament to your failure of action.

For everyones' complaints on here...
-Show us your letters to your councils?
-Show us your lobby efforts at city hall and to the developers to change otherwise?
-Show us your efforts (beyond this blogging forum) to actively influence this project?

If you haven't done anything besides complain on this blog, then, you get what you deserve. Your complaints are fluff without merit.

Moving forward, the building is now done. Perhaps the focus could be on future projects, and even better, for those of you who dislike this project, perhaps you can tell us what YOU WILL DO action wise beyond this blog to ensure such projects are not built again. Maybe then, your harsh criticism will stand on solid ground of your demonstrated actions.

This is an excellent point.

To add to caltrane's point...

What were you expecting from a building with Harvey's, burger joints and a movie theatre? Come on. Be realistic. This isn't a museum, art gallery or skyscraper. To expect blockbuster stuff from this building is laughable. In fact, if you were expecting a marvel, then the current building is a testament to your failure of action.

For everyones' complaints on here...
-Show us your letters to your councils?
-Show us your lobby efforts at city hall and to the developers to change otherwise?
-Show us your efforts (beyond this blogging forum) to actively influence this project?

If you haven't done anything besides complain on this blog, then, you get what you deserve. Your complaints are fluff without merit.

Moving forward, the building is now done. Perhaps the focus could be on future projects, and even better, for those of you who dislike this project, perhaps you can tell us what YOU WILL DO action wise beyond this blog to ensure such projects are not built again. Maybe then, your harsh criticism will stand on solid ground of your demonstrated actions.

Patriot - there was no-one to write to at the time: there was no architectural review occurring in this city when this pile of junk was "designed". Thank goodness such a panel and process is being tested out now.

In regards to the building being "done": the building can still change, finishes can still be added to both the interior and the exterior, improvements can be made. There is no reason we cannot agitate for such things on this forum.

I'd tell you to get off your high horse, but I can see that you're already rolling around on the ground letting PenEquity play with you.

Back