News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Notice how the rendering, while technically correct, looks NOTHING AT ALL like what we see in Dundas Square.

I was at the Earth Hour concert last night, at least half of which was consumed with quiet loathing at this building's continued existence. My own personal jihad.

I think one of the elements that detracts from the square is the stage on the east end. While it has a lot of benefits, it can also be a bit of a barrier. The building needs to be reclad and use more glass, as well as make better use of the existing windows.

Wait, what are we talking about here? The building or the square?

I'm becoming more and more fond of the square as a civic space as time goes on. (The stage isn't abhorrent, but it's not endearing either; my biggest beef is the clunky folding canopy.) But the more I like the square, the more I detest Metropolis (let's just call it that) for looming oppressively over one side, reminding us of our worst habits of dis-inspiration and un-ambition.

Reclad with more glass? Well, glass is transparent, so it doesn't do much good if you slap it on a building with nothing to see inside.

I'm told that the ultimate feeling with the contractor (or was it the develper? I'm fuzzy tonight) was that this building was a mistake to build in the first place, given the complexities of building over the Ryerson garage. (It took two contractors to finish the job in the end.) So part of me wonders what opportunities there were for capital-d Design in the first place, given the project's material constraints.

And I know - I know - it's idle fanwankery, but whenever I see Metrolpolis looming over the square like (as Chris Hume so excellently put it) and intergalactic coal carrier, all I can think of is this better model from a braver city. Might-have-beens.

UrbanToronto Re-Design competition? "Metropolis Makeover"

This building is just crying out for an UrbanToronto Re-design competition. Are there any talented render geeks willing to take on the "Metropolis Makeover"?

Keeping the building's massing and working within realistic budgetary constraints, what would do to take this building from Drab to Dazzle?

And I know - I know - it's idle fanwankery, but whenever I see Metrolpolis looming over the square like (as Chris Hume so excellently put it) and intergalactic coal carrier, all I can think of is this better model from a braver city. Might-have-beens.

Hmm - yeah, the James R. Thompson Center in Chicago is interesting, but I don't think it gives that much back to the street. I always wanted Metropolis to be a bit messier, but in a good way messier; I wanted a Pompidou Centre for Toronto I suppose.

As for me, I'm always amazed at the comparisons that appear out of nowhere. I was surprised to see an office building constructed two decades ago housing government offices and occupying a whole block of central Chicago to a wedge of land used for commercial purposes built in the last decade in Toronto. What meaning can be drawn from this? I could just as easily point to Westminster in London as an example of this being done right, or the Empire State Building, or the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority Building, or the pyramids at Giza. Given a recent study that showed that 92.47% of buildings completed worldwide in the past 10 years have more architectural merit than 10 Dundas, the possibilities are truly endless.

Wait, what are we talking about here? The building or the square?

I'm becoming more and more fond of the square as a civic space as time goes on. (The stage isn't abhorrent, but it's not endearing either; my biggest beef is the clunky folding canopy.) But the more I like the square, the more I detest Metropolis (let's just call it that) for looming oppressively over one side, reminding us of our worst habits of dis-inspiration and un-ambition.

Reclad with more glass? Well, glass is transparent, so it doesn't do much good if you slap it on a building with nothing to see inside.

I'm told that the ultimate feeling with the contractor (or was it the develper? I'm fuzzy tonight) was that this building was a mistake to build in the first place, given the complexities of building over the Ryerson garage. (It took two contractors to finish the job in the end.) So part of me wonders what opportunities there were for capital-d Design in the first place, given the project's material constraints.

I was referring to the square itself.

As for the glass comment, it will take some work. It doesn't necessarily need more glass, but better glass in existing areas and much better cladding. I dont' think it's completely beyone redemption, though it still puzzles me that the city approved it (along with what is now CityTV headquarters).

^ It looked ok in the original render. It was all the cheapening that occurred in finishings that doomed this building. I truly believe that this could be a great building if given to competent designers to rework the exterior and completely redo the interior design.

Dave & Busters?

I've been told that executives from Wellspring Capital Management were seen meeting with executives from Entertainment Properties Trust @ Milestones, 10 Dundas East.

That would mean little until you realize that Wellspring owns Dave & Busters. This fits in with the intention to bring in an entertainment/theme park developer to this property.

I still doubt anything will be built on the roof, but a Dave & Busters arcade in the space the food court currently occupies might work.

It's being speculated that EPR will take advantage of the provision in the original plans for a theme park venue on the roof. The parent company of Canada's Wonderland was also approached.

The building in its current form can't be making much money since PenEquity was unable to retain it. The new owner has to leverage the unused potential of the property to ensure it's financially solvent.

It's being speculated that EPR will take advantage of the provision in the original plans for a theme park venue on the roof. The parent company of Canada's Wonderland was also approached.

The building in its current form can't be making much money since PenEquity was unable to retain it. The new owner has to leverage the unused potential of the property to ensure it's financially solvent.

The fact they own Dave and Busters doesn't necessarily imply that's what we'll be seeing here, do they own any other franchises / theme parks?

I do think a D&Bs like venue could do very well in this location. But when you say roof, are you implying they may add another floor - any other option would only work in the summer so that doesn't sound like the best way to generate revenue.

The fact they own Dave and Busters doesn't necessarily imply that's what we'll be seeing here, do they own any other franchises / theme parks?

That's true. It's possible that their involvement may be another or that there's no involvement whatsoever, just a bunch of executives meeting for lunch. It just seems likely considering the other steps that EPR has taken in the direction of an entertainment venue, that this is about Dave & Busters.

I do think a D&Bs like venue could do very well in this location. But when you say roof, are you implying they may add another floor - any other option would only work in the summer so that doesn't sound like the best way to generate revenue.

The building was engineered to sustain the weight of rides on the roof. That bit is a fact while the following is just speculation: from past renderings it's suggested that these rides would be on the East side's roof. Further, there is plenty of room on the West side's roof for an additional floor for D&B. My hunch is that if Wellspring is involved as it appears, a D&B would operate on a new floor above Woo's where visitors could get on rides that would travel along the roof of the East side.

For reference:

screenshot20100421at438.png

The area in red is directly above Woo's Restaurant and could be reached via an extension of the elevator well up 2 floors. The area in blue is where the provisions were made for rides (until Disney dropped out). The area in green is another area that could potentially support rides (according to original renderings)

What do you guys think about a medica or dental office inside this place? As far as I know there are none.

If you are thinking of a medical office-, then, it should be ok. You might have to do some publicity, though.

Across from RoCP1, there is an office of a family physician. It has stopped taking new patients. There is also a walk-in clinic. It is extremely busy. I live in R0CP 1. A few months ago, I went to walk-in clinic. I was told to stick around or feel free to come back after 2.5 hours. When I came back, I still had to wait for 20/25 minutes.

Back