8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
It's suddenly 'prime' now?

This whole discussion has revolved around it not being prime space.

Prime in a locational sense. Untapped potential so to say, not so much so what the space commands now.

Honestly the entire Yonge Street need a redo pronto - narrow it to a 3 lane affair, plant trees, put in some nice paving, restore all the heritage facades and put up new, mixed use structures that are visually exciting - that's what will spread commercial success outward from Eaton Centre.

AoD

Last edited:
It think the situation here is basically a continuation of the Eaton Centre saga. The Eaton Centre sucked the life off of Yonge Street when it was first built and it continues to do so today. There will come a time when the Eaton Centre can't grow any further and with densities rising in the area then, and only then, might the surrounding areas start to hit their full potential.

It think the situation here is basically a continuation of the Eaton Centre saga. The Eaton Centre sucked the life off of Yonge Street when it was first built and it continues to do so today. There will come a time when the Eaton Centre can't grow any further and with densities rising in the area then, and only then, might the surrounding areas start to hit their full potential.

I thought about that - but I think the reason is more "relative" - there is no benefit to locating outside Eaton Centre but all the drawbacks (poor streetscape/overall experience; lack of "must visit retail, etc) - there is no pull outward.

AoD

(poor streetscape/overall experience; lack of "must visit retail, etc)

I don't think its the streetscape but rather the traffic. There's more of it inside the mall which will lead to higher sales. What retailer would pick here or the basement of the atrium when the bulk of the traffic is inside the mall?

I don't think its the streetscape but rather the traffic. There's more of it inside the mall which will lead to higher sales. What retailer would pick here or the basement of the atrium when the bulk of the traffic is inside the mall?

Agreed. No amount of tinkering with 10 Dundas or Yonge Street is going to pull retailers out of the mall at this point. It is simply too big. The anchors are what drive people to the space, and unless we are willing to demolish a lot of Yonge, the anchors will continue to remain at the Eaton Centre, since it has all of the space they need.

I think it would be easy to turn Yonge into a shopping mall if the Eaton Centre wasn't so large. Unfortunately, it has no trouble accommodating any retailer that needs space. Until Yonge can find an anchor that can serve as a destination, I don't see any more major retailers moving out of the mall, and I don't see Cadillac-Fairview allowing that to happen. They are going to fight to get them in the mall, and they have the money to do so.

The advantage for the Atrium or 10 Dundas isn't the interior of the mall - but street frontage. The pedestrian traffic is there, what's left is creating space that people would want to hang out and walk in from. Eaton Centre was successful partly because it was able to create a POPS through the multilevelled galleria (climate control helps, but it's not the only determinant).

AoD

The advantage for the Atrium or 10 Dundas isn't the interior of the mall - but street frontage. The pedestrian traffic is there, what's left is creating space that people would want to hang out and walk in from. Eaton Centre was successful partly because it was able to create a POPS through the multilevelled galleria (climate control helps, but it's not the only determinant).

AoD

Atrium on Bay is confusing inside. It has a post office, the government agencies and bunch of non-descriptive retail/restaurants plus grocery stores. I don't know what it is. Now that my dentist has moved way, I never go there any more because there is really nothing there. Even the crowds at Muji dies down rapidly. There is no department store, not even a well-known brand, so from a customer's perspective, it is pretty much non-existent.

I think the problem with 10 Dundas is that there is nothing on the ground floor. Who the hell want to go to a mall and go up the escalator right away? You don't see anything from outside so there is no incentive to go in. Even the movies are not as good as the theatre on Richmond/John. So many floor yet so little substance. I have been there quite many times but still can't remember what is actually on which floor.

My thoughts on 10 Dundas East:

First, I think it is pretty obvious that when the Eaton Centre Exterior reno is complete, their building (already) shabby as it is will appear even more so.

I also suspect, that the Future Shop space, once the Halloween gift shop has run is course, is destined to become restaurant space.. chopped up or in whole.

I think population density does have partly to do with it and the amount of people who come to this area. Like Edward said, once Eaton Centre can't grow anymore and it's reached it's potential, there will be no choice for retailers to look elsewhere in the area. However, I would think it's already at this point. I guess not.

My thoughts on 10 Dundas East:

I also suspect, that the Future Shop space, once the Halloween gift shop has run is course, is destined to become restaurant space.. chopped up or in whole.

I like that. This building has found its niche as a destination restaurant complex. Stores don't do well here but there are lineups for restaurants year round. This solves the Eaton Centre competition problem. 10 Dundas East will never beat Eaton Centre on retail but compliments it as a restaurant complex across from the mall with a view to the square that Eaton Centre can't match.

A few restaurants surrounding the elevator well would fit nicely in here. FutureShop's shamefully neglected prime view of Yonge-Dundas Square would be well used as restaurant seating. They could even build Juliette balconies along the Dundas facade for use in the warm months.

Prime in a locational sense. Untapped potential so to say, not so much so what the space commands now.

Honestly the entire Yonge Street need a redo pronto - narrow it to a 3 lane affair, plant trees, put in some nice paving, restore all the heritage facades and put up new, mixed use structures that are visually exciting - that's what will spread commercial success outward from Eaton Centre.

AoD

Speaking of that, what ever happened to the Yonge Street Planning Framework? It would have implemented a lot of what you mentioned.

IMG_20150916_213221.jpg
They are taking down the billboard (backlit) facing north on Yonge Street. Picture will be edited in later.

Last edited:
Any ideas what's up ? Is it being replaced ?

Mobile Crane setting up shop now. - I'll grab a picture. There is also a flatbed truck with some stuff on it.

Looks like they will have to block off part of Yonge Street. Pylons in the back of the Media Resources Truck....

This will be a major project on Yonge tonight. 6 trucks, 2 mobile cranes and flatbeds included.

10:45 - closing Yonge Street off..

Last edited:

Back