News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
All the backlit signs were turned off tonight. The only one I see on is the LED screen with the smaller screens around it.

I'm sure it's nothing but in this day and age, there's no reason why all the backlit signs can't be replaced by high definition displays like they have in bus shelters around the city. Keep some of them static with rotating ads. That way they could sell the entire building facade in cycles. A brand would own the full building for 60 seconds at a time. It's something that would be much more valuable than selling smaller billboards.

Believe that is the future but there is no reason a media company wouldn't have upgraded to high def displays already (barring any zoning concerns) if it was more lucrative to do so.

so, still no word on what's going to happen to the future shop space? (Essentially that's the entire second floor)

I find it so strange that a space like that can be empty. I'd think maybe it has to do with the building itself being so awful, but then why is the old Guess store across the street also empty? Sometimes Toronto just feels so small. As if it can't support the retail at it's busiest intersection in the city.

Its not just that, what about the old Buffalo store down the street !

But I don't agree with the sentiment that Toronto feels small, it has so much street level retail throughout the core, it's silly to come to that conclusion ... rather ... I'd wager the real problem is the landlord's of these buildings have a ton of cash and don't mind sitting on retail on they find the right retail tenant and I'm sure they're charging rents that probably aren't justified ... but they can afford to wait it out.

then why is the old Guess store across the street also empty?

It might be hard to lease that space when the building is going to be renovated and expanded once office tenant(s) are found.

I'd wager the real problem is the landlord's of these buildings have a ton of cash and don't mind sitting on retail on they find the right retail tenant and I'm sure they're charging rents that probably aren't justified ... but they can afford to wait it out.

The province's Vacancy Rebate Application program provides property tax rebates when commercial property is vacant, which enables some landlords to be more speculative than they otherwise used to be able to do. The program needs to be revised, or outright killed, in respect of retail space.

I think one of the main issues with getting space like the former Guess store, and Future Shop leased right away has nothing to do with Toronto, but the retail market in general. Landlords everywhere are struggling right now. A lot of the spaces left behind are either not suitable for those retailers currently looking for space, or too large for smaller retailers that are looking for space. Some can be subdivided, but a space like Future Shop at 10 Dundas is already awkward to begin with. Subdividing it would make for even more awkward spaces.

It would be ideal to have Future Shop's space subdivided in two, with a hallway leading from the Yonge Entrance to the escalators within the core of the building. The retail could open up onto this hallway, or into the existing core. This would create another main entrance to the mall from Yonge Street.

I don't think the traditional mall model is working very well - ideally they should just divide up the Future Shop space as a series of stacked storefronts, with individual access from the first floor (and maybe a back exit so that patrons can access the circulation space, if needed. It's ridiculous how FS used the space and turn its' back against Yonge.

AoD

Let's not forget the Eaton Centre is going from one massive space for one tenant (Sears) to space for multiple tenants. Would you rather be in the Eaton Centre or here?

That's also telling too - how is it that Eaton Centre can maintain pretty much full occupancy - and indeed can break up a massive space and create more retail units when proximate spaces like 10 Dundas and Atrium couldn't.

AoD

I guess another fallback could be having Ryerson lease out a good chunk of the space and repurpose it into classrooms, lab space, or meeting rooms. Maybe even expand the DMZ.

Back