News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I hate humidity with a passion, so these muggy, soupy days of heat are at times nigh unbearable for me, but I find it helpful to remind myself that I'll still take this over the miserable freezing weather we're subject to basically between October and May...

I hate humidity with a passion, so these muggy, soupy days of heat are at times nigh unbearable for me, but I find it helpful to remind myself that I'll still take this over the miserable freezing weather we're subject to basically between October and May...

The "average" Toronto temperature is 8.3 °C. Toronto lies on 105m above sea level (compare with Calgary at 1,045 m, or the South Pole at 2,835 metres or Mt. Everest at 8,848 m).

The "average" Toronto temperature is 8.3 °C. Toronto lies on 105m above sea level (compare with Calgary at 1,045 m, or the South Pole at 2,835 metres or Mt. Everest at 8,848 m).
According to Atlas Pro in the video I shared here a few days ago, Toronto is just outside the optimal temperature for human civilization.

According to Atlas Pro in the video I shared here a few days ago, Toronto is just outside the optimal temperature for human civilization.

The 6 months of crappy winter we have to live with every year tell me it's WAY outside the optimal range.

^This thread made me defend the summer heatwave, which I personal dislike. Don’t make me have to turn around and defend the winter cold as well ;).

By the way it looks like major urban power centres like temperatures colder than civilizations in general.

Mean annual temperature of Toronto 1981-2010 was 9.4 C. For comparison:

New York 12.9 C
London 10.3 C
Beijing 12.9 C
Tokyo 15.4 C

In hot countries the major urban power centre is often in (but not always) one of the geographically coolest areas at higher altitude or on a specific coast.

Last edited:
The 6 months of crappy winter we have to live with every year tell me it's WAY outside the optimal range.

6?! Where'd you move to?

As someone who practically lives outside, I can go ahead and tell you that we have nothing close to 6 months of winter.

6 months of "not-summer", sure.

It's official: This has been the hottest July in 84 years, according to Environment Canada

From link.

It’s been a sweltering July of historic proportions, and there’s the data to prove it.

This past month will go on record as the hottest July in Toronto since Environment Canada began data collection 84 years ago.

“It was excruciatingly hot,” David Phillips, a climatologist at Environment and Climate Change Canada, told the Star. “No doubt about it, this was the warmest July.”

Phillips calculated that the average temperature for the month of July was 25 C, which beat the previous July record of 24.4 C set in 2011.

This July also saw an average daytime high of 30.3 C, which comes within spitting distance of the record set in 1951 of 30.3 C.

But Phillips notes that 17 out of the last 30 days have seen temperatures exceeding 30 C. In addition, two of the days that didn’t make it to 30 C made it to 29.6 C and 29.9 C.

“You normally would see six of seven of those days (above 30 C) in July,” said Phillips.

That’s more days above 30 C than any other July in 65 years; July 1955 saw 19 days above 30 C.

But far more concerning were the high number of “tropical” nights, said Phillips. A term describing a night when the lowest temperature is above 20 C and is when most heat-related deaths occur, he said.

“A ‘tropical’ night is usually bad news. We normally get four of those in July. This year, we had 15,” said Phillips.

“I’ve never seen that before.”

This also breaks the record for the highest number of “tropical” nights, which was set in 2006 (there were 12 that year).

“Everybody talks about the beer-drinking weather during the afternoons. A lot of us forget the minimums at nights and that’s what causes a lot of deaths.”

The record-breaking number of “tropical” nights also helped break another record: the average nighttime low this month was 19.6 C, beating the record of 18.6 C set in 1999 and 2012.

“I (normally) break records in my business by a tenth of a degree, not by a whole degree,” said Phillips.

There may be some relief on the horizon; Phillips says August is normally cooler than July. But due to the effects of climate change, he expects weather such as this to become the norm in the next 30 years, if greenhouse gas emissions continue at current levels.

“This is almost like a dress rehearsal or a dry-run of summers maybe almost 40 or 50 years from now,” Phillips told the Star.

Shit, bruv....you sound like my bestie who moved to Australia to not have to deal with winter. Lives in Perth though, so I don't see how that's an improvement in any which way.

I could never live in Australia. I wouldn't even visit. I want a nice place where it's 18 to 27 degrees all year, with no humidity.

Hello Malaga!

^I agree with Malaga. I think Spain has the optimal weather of anywhere I have experienced.

Though I say this with privilege of not having to work outdoors. It does get very hot there during the midafternoon. I understand why they have siestas.

Perhaps somewhere in northern Spain such as Galicia, Asturias, or the Basque Country would be most suitable for a Canadian accustomed to cooler weather.

^I agree with Malaga. I think Spain has the optimal weather of anywhere I have experienced.

Though I say this with privilege of not having to work outdoors. It does get very hot there during the midafternoon. I understand why they have siestas.

Perhaps somewhere in northern Spain such as Galicia, Asturias, or the Basque Country would be most suitable for a Canadian accustomed to cooler weather.

There's Roncesvalles, Spain, which Roncesvalles Avenue in Toronto is named after.

Yes, being in southern Spain, Malaga would tend to be on the hotter side, but I think the Mediterranean tempers that somewhat. Another reason Malaga specifically makes a lot of "ideal weather" lists is because of the vast amount of sunshine as well.

Are you lads stealing my Spain idea!?

Let's all go!!! We all have our EU!!!

Spain has been my Plan B for years. You know, if things get too hairy here...... :D

Back