TDotFlight: most of your post has been moved to the Real Estate thread for this project, linked in the Project Essentials box near the top of this page.

Pic taken May 27, 2014

Mobile crane being installed.

rJ2kdXH.jpg

G8oPvmo.jpg

North West corner 16th Floor

The Yards is looking good. Neat perspective!

Fort york View.jpg

Attachments

• Fort york View.jpg
    Fort york View.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 2,630
Last edited by a moderator:
There are a minority of buildings which hit their original target dates; more often than not a delay is to be expected.

July 29th.
The Yards - Fort York 3.jpg
The Yards - Fort York 2.jpg

Attachments

• The Yards - Fort York 3.jpg
    The Yards - Fort York 3.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,578
  • The Yards - Fort York 2.jpg
    The Yards - Fort York 2.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,694
Earlier today:

IMG_4717.jpg

IMG_4709.jpg

IMG_4707.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4707.jpg
    IMG_4707.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,357
  • IMG_4709.jpg
    IMG_4709.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,346
  • IMG_4717.jpg
    IMG_4717.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,329
Not sure who is responsible for the artwork. I'm going to guess Onni.

So I'll place the pics under this project.

Pics taken Mar 9, 2015

y8JdTwz.jpg

ZweNitO.jpg

sEmNmSw.jpg

F2XRmdc.jpg

Gc4fTLn.jpg

CO8gmSZ.jpg

yNua2x9.jpg

IHUzgne.jpg

7Cmxvpi.jpg

And benches to sit on.

TQltgTU.jpg

Awesome. It's stuff like this that make me think more and more that the placement of Lakeshore Blvd (when it runs under the Gardiner) is actually the primary barrier to the waterfront.

The boulders are interesting, but I think the same colour blue is a bit boring vs. having many different and bolder colours and a more detailed "home". It should be a big surprise when you come around and see their fronts.

In other words, bolder boulders! I like the concept though. Just a bit more would have looked better. It's too understated and conservative when it doesn't need to be at all.

Last edited:
I don't think there's anything wrong with what the artist did; I think the problem, on the other hand, is expecting a lone artwork installation to make an entire space under the Gardiner inviting. It takes a lot more than that. The area under the Gardiner there still looks very bleak and not somewhere most people would have any reason or desire to spend time. That could change, but it's going to take some investment on various faces-- the ground plane landscaping and programming, the vertical features, the "ceiling" formed above.

Plopping an artwork down in a dead zone won't make it an inviting space. You just end up with an artwork in a dead zone.

A holistic approach to reimagining a space is what will ultimately lead to the space being more than just the sum of its parts.

Back