8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
...because it's worked so well in the States.

Tories plan drug crackdown

Sep 29, 2007 04:43 PM
THE CANADIAN PRESS
OTTAWA — Health Minister Tony Clement will announce it’s anti-drug strategy this week with a stark warning: “the party’s over†for illicit drug users.

“In the next few days, we’re going to be back in the business of an anti-drug strategy,†Clement told The Canadian Press.

“In that sense, the party’s over.â€

Shortly after taking office early last year, the Conservatives decided not to go ahead with a Liberal bill to decriminalize small amounts of marijuana.

Since then, the number of people arrested for smoking pot has jumped dramatically in several Canadian cities, in some cases jumping by more than one third.

Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa and Halifax all reported increases of between 20 and 50 per cent in 2006 of arrests for possession of cannabis, compared with the previous year.

As a result thousands of people were charged with a criminal offence that, under the previous Liberal government, was on the verge of being classified as a misdemeanour.

Police forces said many young people were under the impression that the decriminalization bill had already passed and were smoking up more boldly than they’ve ever done before.

Clement says his government wants to clear up the uncertainty

“There’s been a lot of mixed messages going out about illicit drugs,†Clement said in an interview Saturday after a symposium designed to bring together Canada’s arts and health communities to combat mental health issues.

There’s also a health-care cost element to suggesting to young people that using illicit drugs is OK, the minister said.

“The fact of the matter is they’re unhealthy,†Clement said.

“They create poor health outcomes.â€

For too long, Clement argues, governments in Canada have been sending the wrong message about drug use. It’s time, he says, to take a tougher approach to dealing with the problem.

“There hasn’t been a meaningful retooling of our strategy to tackle illicit drugs in over 20 years in this country,†Clement said.

“We’re going to be into a different world and take tackling these issues very seriously because (of) the impact on the health and safety of our kids.â€

The Conservatives’ wide-ranging $64 million anti-drug strategy is expected to combine treatment and prevention programs with stiffer penalties for illicit drug use, and a crackdown at the border against drug smuggling.

Justice Minister Rob Nicholson and Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day will join Clement in announcing the plan as part of a range of initiatives to be unveiled by the Tories surrounding next month’s throne speech.

Clement said treatment and prevention programs were his key priorities for the health element of the drug strategy.

“Yes, there’s a justice issue to that,†he said.

“But there’s also a treatment issue, there’s also a prevention issue.â€

Clement has suggested in the past that he opposes so-called harm reduction strategies for combating illegal drug use, including safe-injection sites where nurses provide addicts with clean needles and a safe place to use drugs.

At a Canadian Medical Association meeting last month, he was quoted saying “harm reduction, in a sense, takes many forms. To me, prevention is harm reduction. Treatment is harm reduction. Enforcement is harm reduction.â€

The following day, a petition signed by over 130 physicians and scientists was released, condemning the Conservative government’s “potentially deadly†misrepresentation of the positive evidence for harm reduction programs.

Vancouver’s Insite safe injection clinic is facing a December 31 deadline for the renewal of a federal exemption that allows it to operate.

Critics of the Conservative government’s approach to illicit drug use say the federal government would be making a serious mistake by failing to renew the exemption.

“I think there’s very little chance that Mr. Clement will extend the safe injection site’s permit to continue,†says Dr. Keith Martin, a British Columbia Liberal MP and former substance-abuse physician.

“But in doing that they will be essentially committing murder.â€

Advocates say safe-injection sites help to prevent the spread of serious diseases, including AIDS and Hepatitis by preventing users from sharing needles while opponents say the sites simply promote illegal drug use.

Martin says he’s all for increasing penalties for people who sell illegal drugs, including gangsters, but wonders why the Tories would want to target users when he says similar strategies in other countries haven’t worked.

“I can’t understand why the Conservatives are embracing a war-on-drugs approach that has proven to fail,†he said.

“By all means, go after the pushers. By all means, absolutely go after the organized crime gangs that a the real parasites in this situation,†he added.

“But for heaven’s sake, treat the user as a medical problem and adopt the solutions that have proven to work in other countries.â€

Stupid, stupid, stupid....but what they're doing is just shoring up their base. The hinterlands are gettin' hungry for some red-meat conservatism from the Harperites, so this is a bone to throw to them. Politics, as usual.

Nice to see them talk about health care costs - now, shall we pay more attention to the issue of social determinants of health, namely poverty - and how much THAT cost the medical system? And gawd, think of the children!

AoD

Let's get those kids boozing, puking, fighting and passing out like any other "right" thinking citizen.

And of course, what about a complete ban on cigarettes? But of course not, tobacco is grown by law abiding farms in Conservative leaning ridings...

Let's not get started about alcohol either. Or bacon (watch out, hog farmers!). Perhaps Health Canada should get on the business of banning both fast food AND drive thru.

AoD

Nice to see them talk about health care costs - now, shall we pay more attention to the issue of social determinants of health, namely poverty - and how much THAT cost the medical system? And gawd, think of the children!

AoD

As to your last question: nope.

Their semi-spoken view tends to be one in which it is the fault of the addict for being hooked on drugs or alcohol. At the same time, it is the fault of the poor for being poor. To the social conservative, it is always an issue of personal responsibility.

that something i find troubling, but i agree with you on that Hydrogen.

AoD

LOL "think of the children." Was Helen Lovejoy promoted to Cabinet recently?

Screw what George Bush says, legalize marijuana and be done with it. It's not my thing but I don't know or haven't ever heard of anyone while high has killed someone on it, abused their partner, developed cirrhosis or had liver failure or died on it. I can't say that for alcohol.

Government grows high quality weed, government packages and distributes via LCBO, government charges market rate plus sin taxes, LCBO has a muchie rack next to pot section with lots of appealing, overpriced goodies to compliment new revenue stream. Government makes billions from new revenue source & related taxes and that in turn goes back into cities and into programs to properly fund harm reduction programs and addiction programs for real drugs. CAMH reports that in a survey 2% of Canadians smoke marijuana once a week or more (that's conservative) plus casual users. Do the math.

Tourism goes up (more revenue for our cities), people are stoned, cities work better with more money, everyone is happy and our police forces can focus on real crime instead of busting university students for a half bag of weed.

so the first order of action would be to throw john tory in jail right? sure hope that persecution is retroactive :p:p:p

come on man, don't be a fuckin' pussy. we need to make an example of this shit. <insert devil icon here>

I obviously agree that the present system is insane (and this Tory plan will only make it far, far more insane). Unfortunately, when we were talking about decriminalization, the Americans went absolutely nuts. They were threatening us (as always) with a total shutdown at the border.

I love how tacitly placing a multibillion dollar industry in the hands of the criminal underworld will somehow make Canada a safer place.

I love how tacitly placing a multibillion dollar industry in the hands of the criminal underworld will somehow make Canada a safer place.

people will never stop smoking pot, never. tax it just like anything else, enforce public intoxication laws, most of all for driving and save all kinds of money not processing people and worrying about it. as it stands right now, there is tons of cash wasted on enforcement & lost revenue that could go toward healthcare.

all of a sudden, there is a legal market and it's not a profitable crop anymore.

one of the reason people are attracted to these things in the first place is because they are illegal and because they are not regulated. lack of regulation creates an industry which regulates its self with the sales tactics of a quack doctor.

I obviously agree that the present system is insane (and this Tory plan will only make it far, far more insane). Unfortunately, when we were talking about decriminalization, the Americans went absolutely nuts. They were threatening us (as always) with a total shutdown at the border.
They'd never follow through on that. They're too dependent on Canadian imports and exports - not as dependent as we are on them obviously, but we're still their number one trading partner. They'd probably increase security at the border, create more lumber-style taxes on Canadian products, and do some self righteous huffing and puffing. I think we'll see legalization in our lifetimes. I really don't know very many people who are for the status quo. But it'll be a gradual process that won't start until the conservatives and republicans are out of office.

They obviously won't follow through on it, but the threat remains and it's a scary one for any politician. Remember the vast numbers of business executives trotted out in the media before the war in Iraq, enraged that Canada didn't support the war because it could mean more restrictions at the border. Has it really made a difference? No. But without a politician like Jean Chretien sitting on a massive majority, it would have been very tough to ignore them. Now imagine it isn't opposing a wrongheaded war we're risking our trade for, it's freer access to drugs.

Back