News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

AG, another four years - yes. Fortunately, after team Harper, Harris (oops! - Hudak), and Ford are done with our country, province, and city I can assure you nobody here in Toronto will even consider voting conservative into the forseeable future. I'm willing to take another four years of mild pain in exchange for let's say, a 20-year progressive mandate ;)

PS: The situation in Greece is looking quite dire - the defaults are inevitable. What a terrible coincidence that they might just happen during this three-tier right-wing rule... Ignorant voters won't be so swayed by just key words like "the economy", "waste", and "fragile recovery" anymore.

I think the analysts at the banks and credit agencies who are giving the city good grades know a thing or two.
Yes, because financial institutions are always infallible!

PS: The situation in Greece is looking quite dire - the defaults are inevitable. What a terrible coincidence that they might just happen during this three-tier right-wing rule... Ignorant voters won't be so swayed by just key words like "the economy", "waste", and "fragile recovery" anymore.
When the crisis in Greece began only Harper was in power, which is as irrelevant as if Harper, Ford and Hudak were (or might be).

When the crisis in Greece began only Harper was in power, which is as irrelevant as if Harper, Ford and Hudak were (or might be).

Very true - but the crisis in Greece will spur an economic downturn for sure. This time, it's quite likely Canada won't be able to weather the storm as well as it did for the past recession. Combined with all the cuts and what exactly will your average Joe remember? Harper/Hudak/Ford = bad times.

Very true - but the crisis in Greece will spur an economic downturn for sure. This time, it's quite likely Canada won't be able to weather the storm as well as it did for the past recession. Combined with all the cuts and what exactly will your average Joe remember? Harper/Hudak/Ford = bad times.

Hey it worked for the Liberals in 1935, maybe we'll see a resurgence :p

Just to pick one astounding snippet from the article: "...I’m shocked this kind of buying binge would occur over such a short span of time..."

What a joke. The TTC has been ignored, underfunded, and inadequately maintained for so many years: wasn't a similar ranter (possibly also in the Sun) just recently mocking the TTC for still running vehicles not seen elsewhere "since the Soviet Union"? The plan to gradually replace horribly outdated subways and streetcars has been underway for years, decades, and is only now finally starting to show the light of day. Hardly a "buying binge" over "a short span of time".

The key problem in my mind with this new Fordian view that has spilled from the hard right into the mainstream is a total lack of distinction between spending and investment. If we don't invest in our infrastructure now, where will we be in 5, 10, 20 years? For example, our overloaded roads and transit systems cost the city money every day, and will continue to do so into perpetuity as the problems only get worse. If people can't get around they can't do business. The shortsightedness just makes me sad.

What I'm more astounded by is the name of a member on our boards, Thanos. Anyone who read Marvel comics, especially classic Avengers and the Infinity Gauntlet series knows what I mean.

What I'm more astounded by is the name of a member on our boards, Thanos. Anyone who read Marvel comics, especially classic Avengers and the Infinity Gauntlet series knows what I mean.

What do you mean?
That's the short version of my name. It's a greek name.

lol Don't worry, I'm not a nasty villain.

"The character's name is a derivation of Thanatos, the personification of death and mortality in Greek mythology."
However, that part is American made bs.

Just to pick one astounding snippet from the article: "...I’m shocked this kind of buying binge would occur over such a short span of time..."
The key problem in my mind with this new Fordian view that has spilled from the hard right into the mainstream is a total lack of distinction between spending and investment. If we don't invest in our infrastructure now, where will we be in 5, 10, 20 years? For example, our overloaded roads and transit systems cost the city money every day, and will continue to do so into perpetuity as the problems only get worse. If people can't get around they can't do business. The shortsightedness just makes me sad.

It's Ford's short-term 'solutions' (not really solutions, though) that irk and frustrate me the most. He truly has no long-term vision for the city and hasn't a clue on how to run one. Zero development plans and dodgey financial campaign practices, plus his right-wing homophobia and racism makes make him the worst mayor this city has had in my lifetime. He isn't a mayor, really, but a mouthpiece for the suburban right-wing set.

Unfortunately, any losses will be blamed on the Miller era and left-wing spending. He'll distract his supporters from the financial mess he'll create and destruction of the city's vitality and international respect with social issues (gay pride, funding for the arts, etc) and cheap wins like the $60 vehicle registration tax and get another term.

It's Ford's short-term 'solutions' (not really solutions, though) that irk and frustrate me the most. He truly has no long-term vision for the city and hasn't a clue on how to run one. Zero development plans and dodgey financial campaign practices, plus his right-wing homophobia and racism makes make him the worst mayor this city has had in my lifetime. He isn't a mayor, really, but a mouthpiece for the suburban right-wing set.

Unfortunately, any losses will be blamed on the Miller era and left-wing spending. He'll distract his supporters from the financial mess he'll create and destruction of the city's vitality and international respect with social issues (gay pride, funding for the arts, etc) and cheap wins like the $60 vehicle registration tax and get another term.

Same broken record, except you hit the nail on the head with.. get another term:D

It is remarkable just how feeble Ford's attempts have been to cut spending. If all of the KMPG recommended cuts are put through to save $15 million, and the privatization of garbage collection west of Yonge is passed for $6 million dollar savings, that leads to cuts of less than 1%, yes, 1% of the $774 million hole.

Lets stop thinking tepid cuts and even privatization are the answers to our issues. This city has a revenue problem, not a spending problem. Perhaps cuts in garbage collection and snow removal will illustrate this point come 2012.

I know there are advantages/disadvantages to every possible solution (and we can argue till the cows come home) but despite all its shortcomings, the best thing to help the GTA or at least the City of Toronto is to introduce a 1% sales tax (added to HST to make it 14%), which would be primarily used for infrastructure (roads, and of course mass transit). All these operational cuts are so immaterial and yet take up so much time; what a waste of all resources.

Of course a tax will be unfavorable but the cutbacks will hurt too! I would rather have a 1% municipal or GTA tax and not have to worry about potential pool closures, cuts to arts and other 'urban' things, or cutbacks to bus routes, etc. Every year, it's the same cry of shortfall (especially with the TTC). It's so pathetic! I would gladly pay 1% in additional tax for city development (transit, roads, sidewalks, beautification, keeping existing level of services, etc.).

OK, so now that I've said how I feel (in a quick and hurried manner just to get it out there), I'm ready to be attacked. :)

The TTC needs to be completely reviewed A-Z. People need to loose their jobs because they're clearly not doing their work.
The province needs to step in and provide money for the agency and every other transit agency in the province. They keep on saying that they want to invest on green energy and bla bla bla. Well how about investing in mass transit and getting people off their car.
I've asked this many times but never got an answer, does the province help the Ottawa transit agency?
A 1% sales tax should only be spent on transit and street beautification and only that.

Back