...And on that note, if we're going to pick losers then why not start with those who had nothing to begin with? G+C and Kirkor lead the pack in that regard (though The_Starchitect may tell you differently).

Architect werent you banned a week ago for trolling anything related to aA?......and now your back to trolling aA...
Moving on, I'm really interested to see this podium develop. Looking at the renders it seems like its going to be really unique. I took a greyhound instead of a via train this week just so i could pass by ice and take a look. That green roof area above the podium is going to be our first clue on whether or not this swiss cheese thing looks good ...

From Telus House

photo-497.jpg

At ground level

photo-1132.jpg

Last edited:
Architect werent you banned a week ago for trolling anything related to aA?......and now your back to trolling aA...

That was by no means the apparent issue in that case. You don't get banned for being critical of an architectural firm. Just take a look at the posts on this page for instance, there's a number of members slandering firms here. To clarify my position - there's nothing wrong with voicing your opinion on the works of any specific firm.

Last edited:
Moving on, I'm really interested to see this podium develop. Looking at the renders it seems like its going to be really unique. I took a greyhound instead of a via train this week just so i could pass by ice and take a look. That green roof area above the podium is going to be our first clue on whether or not this swiss cheese thing looks good ...

You really don't know what the word "trolling" means, if you think that my last post was trolling.

I'm allowed to be critical of a firm and their designs.

^ Exaggeration much?

With fresh and innovative recent designs like Market Wharf, 154 Front East, 1Thousand Bay, Theatre Park, King Charlotte, etc. I would say aA's designs are becoming increasingly creative and refined. They've definitely been a rising firm throughout this development boom. It's been fun watching their progress throughout the last decade or two, and how their work has greatly improved various parts of our streetscape.

I think the appropriate firm to label as "lost every ounce of its creativity", would be Ziedler as seen in their recent Trump disaster.

No exaggeration at all. As I've said countless times before, I don't hate everything aA has come up with, just their more recent releases, because they have nothing to like. All the examples you've posted are buildings and designs I have praised (which if you go back and look, I really did praise them). I'm referring to designs like Karma, 501 Yonge, and 90 Harbour which are the same bland nothing design that brings nothing to the city, and actually takes away from it in the case of 90 Harbour.

I, unlike some posters on this site, judge on a building-by-building basis, not by what firm designed it.

If that were true I would be criticizing the ones you mentioned, which I have not.

Last edited:
...And on that note, if we're going to pick losers then why not start with those who had nothing to begin with? G+C and Kirkor lead the pack in that regard (though The_Starchitect may tell you differently).

Nice trolling, but the only towers I like by either of the 2 are Cinema Tower and Aura, both of which beat the hell out of 90 Harbour, Karma and 501 Yonge.

You really don't know what the word "trolling" means, if you think that my last post was trolling.

I'm allowed to be critical of a firm and their designs.

yes but when every other comment is an attack on aA (a firm i also think is hit or miss but at least i dont urinate my opinion into the snow)

When a firm has lost every ounce of its creativity, I lose confidence that they can bring anything of interest to the table.
Shameless aA fanboys
Casa's good as a standalone tower, not something replicated 100000000 times.

i'm honestly too lazy to find all the other ones...and i know there are a lot more. I agree with most of the things you say on all these threads. all im trying to convey is; We get the point the_architect, you dont like aA!

yes but when every other comment is an attack on aA (a firm i also think is hit or miss but at least i dont urinate my opinion into the snow)
i'm honestly too lazy to find all the other ones...and i know there are a lot more. I agree with most of the things you say on all these threads. all im trying to convey is; We get the point the_architect, you dont like aA!

All of those have to do with the same 3 projects, the ones I've mentioned. (The one I got in trouble for was my annoyance with certain posters and their frustratingly obvious bias)

And obviously you don't get the point, seeing as it isn't aA I don't like, it's some of their designs. As I've said many times before, I judge a building by the building, not its design firm.

That being said my annoyance with aA as of late is because we keep seeing the same thing over and over again. Casa was good the first time, we get it, now stop doing that for eevveerryyyttthhhiiinnnggggg and get some new ideas. 154 Front E is a different idea, kudos, keep it up and stop it with the 90 Harbour Casa-replicas.

Also, if anyone has paid attention to my on-topic posts in this thread.......... I LIKE THIS PROJECT AND ITS DESIGN!

It's a shame. This place used to be more grassroots, and friendlier. Now it's a wanna-be real estate website covered in condo ads and split down the middle by people with different architects and viewpoints they need to parade around/promote or contest. It's incredibly tiring.

The mods also have forgotten that their job is to moderate and remove condescending/rude posts, instead of spending all their time trying to write news articles and be in cahoots with developers. They always get involved in these issues when it's too late.

With fresh and innovative recent designs like Market Wharf, 154 Front East, 1Thousand Bay, Theatre Park, King Charlotte, etc. I would say aA's designs are becoming increasingly creative and refined.

I disagree somewhat with that assessment. I find aA's current body of work to be more hit or miss. Also, I think their strength lies less in subtly and more towards employing dynamic designs.

The way I see it, there's nothing subtle about randomizing the window placement on a brick clad podium, an oval amenities area or the fluid balconies all of which can be seen on Market Wharf. Likewise, Theatre Park and its randomized horizontal lines, Pier 27's bridges and angled facade, 154 Front East and its off-set boxes & green roof/bridge, the quadrangle that is Burano and of course the elliptical known as ICE, all share little resemblance to the minimalistic boxes that aA is more commonly known for.

It's when they employ more conservative ideals in their designs(i.e. those minimalist boxes), that there's a wider range in the end result.

The 4 Season's obvious excels. Then we have Spire, X, Radio City, 18 Yorkville and Quay West at Tip Top, all quality products. Followed next by Casa, Pure/Clear Spirits, the Gooderham, Murano, 22 Wellesley, 252 Sackville and NXT which are decent but not landmarks in my mind. Also I'm wary of having too many clones of these designs, at least when it comes to the taller, city defining skyscrapers.

However, I find MYC, U Condos, Peter street condominiums and 1Thousand Bay (based on recent images) lacking. And Karma, King Charlotte, 501 Yonge, 90 York to be outright albatrosses. Of course all of these buildings are either in the design phase or initial stages of construction. Hence I'm hopefully that the final product will either turnout better than anticipated or will differ substantially from what is rendered. Its these buildings, which represent a good portion of their current designs, that I have substantial concerns with.

Nonetheless, if you look at that list there is more good then bad. Hence I would categorize aA as being a good firm overall(largely on the basis of the more dynamic products they have produced), but they are not the godsend/epitome of perfection that some on here would make them out to be.

Last edited:

Back