Who would thought the area south of Front Street would be an employment generator decades ago. It only happen because business couldn't attracted employees to travel long distance outside the core.

The other big advantage of the Union station area though is GO transit. Tons of people take GO downtown to work.

If we're talking about Yonge-Eg or other areas, it has the subway which is good, but for those in the 905 it's harder to get to by transit right?

However Eglinton LRT should improve access to this node from the east & west.

But yeah I agree there is a mass of people who live downtown and wouldn't accept a job outside of walking distance downtown.

Here's the revision. The second floor retail and balcony over the little plaza at the corner has disappeared as part of the full office replacement. 65 storeys now, as mentioned earlier, and now 211 metres instead of 224.

1EgERev1ArchDwg.jpg

Attachments

• 1EgERev1ArchDwg.jpg
    1EgERev1ArchDwg.jpg
    783.8 KB · Views: 1,525
So no retail at all now ? I really hope there's still something.

Ugh, I wish they retained the second level retail.

They should've given the building more air rights in return for full office replacement.

Yuk, so now its shorter and uglier to please a few, unbelievable:eek:

Oh well, i thought that was one of its best features

It looks exactly the same as before but 13m shorter. Like virtually the exact same. I have no idea how you can say that there has been in any substantial change to make this "uglier" than before with a straight face.

So no retail at all now ? I really hope there's still something.

There's still retail on the ground level.

Heightist fanboi anxiety aside, it looks pretty much the same as before.

I didn't see any noticeable changes until my memory was refreshed with the repost of the original ground level scheme. While a small step back there, the fact that the two iterations look nearly identical makes me hopeful that this design will be actually be realized. I'm glad we didn't get a significant design overall or height reduction (let's face it, 200m+ at Yonge/Egg is still awesome).
By far my favourite tower proposed in the area. I'm very sceptical about E Condos.

How come, Steve? Don't trust the builder? Don't think the end result will even remotely resemble the renders?

How come, Steve? Don't trust the builder? Don't think the end result will even remotely resemble the renders?

I'm just not particularly sold on the final design from what I've seen. Everything from the massing of the towers, and the odd dynamic between them, in addition, how the facades give off a lifeless impression, given the exciting buzz of the area and significance of the site. It screams just another condo to me, with little effort made to how the design of the towers contributes to what's around it, even though in reality, it is just another condo. Though I do like the colour scheme (if the black on red is still the plan), and I feel like the ground level plan has potential to be great, a giant rectangle just sits above what is a pretty cool podium and what could possibly be one of the coolest TD banks (dual edged sword with that one), but I hope I'm proven wrong though.
1 Eglinton on the other hand, architecturally, looks like it will contribute to the intersection in a great way, with a very much 'alive' facade that blends with the activity on the street below it, and pays attention to eyes not being drawn away from the tower component, but welcoming it in a seamless way. It's exciting architectural design that gives to the pedestrian realm. Something that feels disjointed at E.

Does a rendering exist for the second tower of E Condos? I prefer E Condos. I don't really care for the angular decoration here. The balconies appear too heavy as well.

Back