This is not a rental building in Corktown or something. This is a high end condo right in the international village, 2k is quite reasonable IMO. I don't think people realize how much rent (and selling price of condos) have gone up in the past couple years. It's bonkers. Another way to look at it is the Canadian dollar has seriously lost value in real terms.
I'm not sure if you're shitting on Corktown or not lol, but I'd prefer to live in Corktown over this area personally and most people I know would too. Corktown has a walkable distance to GO train, bars, restos and James St. International Village is nice, and I like it, but there's not a single bar (&The you is more of a Montreal style club), only a couple of restaurants and most are Asian restaurants (some of the best in the city) not known for their atmosphere (again, still love them) and not easily accessible to GO or mountain transit without a hefty walk or very short bus then transfer. It's an up and coming area surely, but it'll be a few years before the area matures into a highly desirable spot.

I had a friend living in this area and they hated it, and moved somewhere else after 2 years of dealing with this area.

Hamilton typical 1bdrm price is around $1800-$1900 depending on location and quality. That being said, if you go looking you can find some 1bdrms for more than $2000 but they're typically much larger than this. This unit looks like it's 500sqft or less potentially, much of it hallway. For a similar sized unit downtown you could easily find something cheaper.
I'll stay out of this conversation lol..

I'm not sure if you're shitting on Corktown or not lol, but I'd prefer to live in Corktown over this area personally and most people I know would too. Corktown has a walkable distance to GO train, bars, restos and James St. International Village is nice, and I like it, but there's not a single bar (&The you is more of a Montreal style club), only a couple of restaurants and most are Asian restaurants (some of the best in the city) not known for their atmosphere (again, still love them) and not easily accessible to GO or mountain transit without a hefty walk or very short bus then transfer. It's an up and coming area surely, but it'll be a few years before the area matures into a highly desirable spot.

I had a friend living in this area and they hated it, and moved somewhere else after 2 years of dealing with this area.
I live in Corktown lol. I’m not shitting on it it all. It’s just that it’s mostly dated apartment buildings from the 1970s. Those buildings will never be able to get 2k for a one bedroom. The buildings just aren’t as nice.

I live in Corktown lol. I’m not shitting on it it all. It’s just that it’s mostly dated apartment buildings from the 1970s. Those buildings will never be able to get 2k for a one bedroom. The buildings just aren’t as nice.
At least those are dated NOW - Vranich's are dated as soon as they're done.

IMG_1345.jpg

The higher-quality of 1 Jarvis’ finishes makes KiWi look cartoonish next to it.

That said, the feel along Ferguson (not pictured) is way more urban than before! Which will only get better once both developments’ Ferguson-facing retail units fill up!

Hopefully these developments will somehow spur some spin off $$$ to Theatre Aquarius next door.

The higher-quality of 1 Jarvis’ finishes makes KiWi look cartoonish next to it.

That said, the feel along Ferguson (not pictured) is way more urban than before! Which will only get better once both developments’ Ferguson-facing retail units fill up!

Hopefully these developments will somehow spur some spin off $$$ to Theatre Aquarius next door.
There is contrast between the two, for sure - each displaying its own youthful exuberance as different as teenagers from seperate cliques. One may be a preppy, the other a brainiac. Or pick your own description. I liked Kiwi as I walked along King William today. Didn't feel too cheap or like the class cut-up. Maybe a glass of wine is in order right about now...

Honestly I just can't bring myself to like the Jarvis one - from far away the brick just looks both dirty and like a cardboard cutout, like it's not structural, and instead just a veneer, esp. the brown colored brick on the far left, and I have a huge pet peeve over designs that use cladding that doesn't look structural. At least kiwi has accents, curves, and angles, and everything feels solid, like it holds it up properly. Sure its podium may feel a bit.. hacked together in parts, but I just don't get the rectangular modern craze going on - jarvis feels LAZY. Kiwi feels like it was actually designed, and not just templated. I also hate floating jutouts so I really don't like the front of it which feels top-heavy.

I mean look at the subtle white details on the kiwi balconies - with jarvis it's bare minimum.. everything. Let's not glorify basic design. Also jarvis has that same weird top vent thing going on above its windows that cobalt does which makes it look stark, like it's missing something, and the even weirder middle vent window stuff going on. And I get it, I suppose this is meant to be the "back" of the building but on a building that fronts both ends of a block there shouldn't be a "back" looking side. Granted kiwi fronts on king william so the side can look like sides, but that's different.

Nothing anyone says will ever make me like that one - and that's fine - there are 2 types of people on here - those who like the modern clinical clean lines, and those who do not. I am the latter. A building shouldn't be glorified purely on what cladding finishes it uses, but also the actual design of the building itself, and imo, jarvis falls short. It doesn't offer anything of architectural interest - everything is a rectangle. Everything - kiwi offers quite a lot of subtle design - esp in the tower portion which is unusual.

Last edited:

Back