Looking south. November 2023. Photo: Nick Kozak.

IMG_3144.jpg

The city has this site listed as one of their "CITY-OWNED ‘HOUSING READY’ SITES" - with 350 units identified here.

Anyone know whats up with that? I thought this was primarily a privately owned condo.

The city still owns part of that block. It was originally intended as park land.

ProjectEnd posted details of the land sale earlier:

For interior work? At least a year I'd guess as they are still selling units etc. Not sure they've even submitted for Construction Permits yet.

Permit applications for construction were 'accepted' (filed) October 13th; but work to process them has not yet begun.

For interior work? At least a year I'd guess as they are still selling units etc. Not sure they've even submitted for Construction Permits yet.
Permit applications for construction were 'accepted' (filed) October 13th; but work to process them has not yet begun.
thank you for the information, I am actually a painter who specializes in new condo building painting. I am an everyday visitor to urban Toronto :) My journey just started this year with Thornhill condo at 8 Beverly Glen in Vaughan. We are still painting though

December 6: A good looking job on the backfill - now just waiting patiently for the shoring equipment to arrive. Meanwhile, diagonally across the road, the north-west corner of Spadina and Adelaide, the sales suite is busy with a construction crew inside (sorry, only pictures of the outside of the sales suite, but when one of the crew came outside, the door was open briefly, and the work going on in the interior was visible.

20231206_134146.jpg

20231206_134734.jpg

20231206_134809.jpg

Attachments

• 20231206_134833.jpg
    20231206_134833.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 19

Construction crews have just finished demolition work at the site. A drill rig will be brought in early next year to begin geothermal drilling for pipes to be installed deep underground that will transfer energy for heating and cooling approximately 300 units in the 305,000-square-foot building.

“Demolition is all but complete,” says Pouyan Safapour, president at Devron. “The existing building was taken down and we are currently backfilling the site to get it ready for the geothermal drilling. We are nearing completion on that and there’s a little bit of cleanup remaining.

“It was more of an excavator and grabber process and was done slowly and carefully. It’s a very, very busy area with lots of car and pedestrian traffic so we did it slowly and carefully taking it apart.”

A two-storey building with a combination of retail and office space was torn down. United Wrecking did the demolition work and had five workers onsite daily. Michael Brothers did the backfilling.

In January or February, crews will begin installing pipes for the geothermal system. They will tap into the consistent temperatures underground. The sustainable energy source will help reduce carbon emissions.

“Essentially, it’s a whole bunch of very deep holes,” says Safapour. “They need to have those holes so that when we get to shoring and excavating it does not interrupt the construction process. When you have those pipes in the ground, they then get connected to heat pumps and essentially use the fact that the temperature of the soil at great depth does not fluctuate like the temperature outside.”

“Some people refer to it as a battery as it allows a heat exchange to provide heating and cooling for the building.”

The site, at the southeast corner of Spadina and Adelaide, is busy and space is tight. A city-owned parking lot is also amalgamated into the plan. As part of the project, four levels of underground parking will be built. Two upper levels will be for public parking, two lower levels will be for condo owners.

Devron hopes to start shoring up the site in spring, with construction on the underground parking starting after that.

The timeline of the build depends on when the company can get clearances for various aspects of the project, but Safapour says the plan is to have the venture completed in 2029.

More site preparation for the 101 Spadina project - the large advertising billboard structure on the east side of the property is being removed - it was being worked on all day, but still some more to be done.

20231213_170121.jpg

20231213_170040.jpg

Back