They've also put forward a conceptual comprehensive block plan (detailed in the planning rationale), which is a look at what a redevelopment that is coordinated with 80 Bloor could look like, and it is a much more preferable concept than two individual redevelopments; interested to know to what extent those discussions have taken place with the City and/or 80 Bloor partners.

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 10.12.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 10.14.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 10.15.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 10.16.42 AM.png

Despite the dreaded 299m "curse"... still hope this "half pencil" hangs on to height. NYC has overdone the pencil, but just one in Toronto would be great, particularly in Bloor/Yorkville area. A nice exclamation mark on the area which is becoming a top ten North American skyline on its own. ;-)
Yup, I am starting to come around on this one for this reason. Bay and Bloor is the right location for such a pencil. I just hope it isn't repeated elsewhere.

It's kind of wide for a pencil too, which helps it's form from various vantage points.

Last edited:
It's interesting how the above render depicts the elevator overrun seemingly floating from the slab above.
--
This is even more slender than I had imagined. Here's a graphic depicting the slenderness of comparable developments, shown to scale based on the architectural plans.

More posted here: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/infographics-toronto-skyline.27943/page-4#post-1563018
49985380892_da92ba3d86_k.jpg

I didn't really have a sense of how thin YSL was from the north and south until seeing this. Thanks for the renderings and diagrams this is amazing — really cool to put everything into perspective.

Unsure --has this project been approved yet? I know Herzog & deMeuron have builds in New York and and Miami, but will this be their first Canadian project? I'm seeing the blueprints above and i'm not sure how I feel about the pencil thin design.

Since there couldn't possibly be room for elevators (as suggested by the render of top floors), I assume folks will be raised and lowered by the window washing rig.

Serious wait times...

2 dedicated elevators to the lower level of the restaurant - 85th floor and the top 2 floors will be serviced via escalator

It's clear that a lot of thought has been put not only into this building but also 80 bloor nextdoor, which makes me hopeful that it might get built as is.

I'm not exactly sure how I feel about the propsed 80 bloor redesign here though, also am I the only one who thinks they made 80 bloor taller under their recommendations? Because it sure looks that way to me.

Since there couldn't possibly be room for elevators (as suggested by the render of top floors), I assume folks will be raised and lowered by the window washing rig.

Serious wait times...

Or you could always take the stairs, especially if you're walking it off after finishing that lasagna from Eataly. ;)

Back