It's not too tall, but it is very thin and that explains why there are only 4 elevators. I would have a direct view of it from my apartment, and I'm sure it will look impressive, but good luck to the residents! I lived on the 50th floor of a condo for 10 years, I know what it's like.

It's not too tall, but it is very thin and that explains why there are only 4 elevators. I would have a direct view of it from my apartment, and I'm sure it will look impressive, but good luck to the residents! I lived on the 50th floor of a condo for 10 years, I know what it's like.
you make a great point there i hadn't thought of before. i hope they have some crazy AI algorithm to manage the flow of the elevators, otherwise it would be an unlivable building... especially when one of the elevators inevitably breaks down...

you make a great point there i hadn't thought of before. i hope they have some crazy AI algorithm to manage the flow of the elevators, otherwise it would be an unlivable building... especially when one of the elevators inevitably breaks down...

This, in general is a key issue around what is required of developers/landlords when constructing hirise residential.

Often, elevator capacity seems based on the optimal situation of all elevators being in-service, and not reserved in anyway such as for moves.

Perhaps it's time to revisit such requirements, beginning with a non-negotiable; one extra elevator (that services all floors) is required, above and beyond what any reasonable study says is required.

This minimizes risks due to moves, downtime, or full overhaul.

This, in general is a key issue around what is required of developers/landlords when constructing hirise residential.

Often, elevator capacity seems based on the optimal situation of all elevators being in-service, and not reserved in anyway such as for moves.

Perhaps it's time to revisit such requirements, beginning with a non-negotiable; one extra elevator (that services all floors) is required, above and beyond what any reasonable study says is required.

This minimizes risks due to moves, downtime, or full overhaul.

oh yeah! moves too...
in my 57-storey building, we have 5 elevators serving >600 units... but one elevator is always down, and one is usually reserved for moving... so it ends up being 200 units/elevator...
the only thing saving my sanity is that covid has drastically reduced everyone's propensity to leave their units and use the elevators...

Last edited by a moderator:
oh yeah! moves too...
in my 57-storey building, we have 5 elevators serving >600 units... but one elevator is always down, and one is usually reserved for moving... so it ends up being 200 units/elevator...
the only thing saving my sanity is that covid has drastically reduced everyone's propensity to leave their units and use the elevators...

I had a similar experience in the past. The elevators are the single most important element of a tall building, and when they are crap, your life as a high-floor occupant will be miserable.

I have said this before, but in my condo there were 6 elevators for 600 units; 3 for floors 31 to 52. One day, there was a flood and all of the high-rise elevators were offline for an extended period. There was usually at least one elevator down. One was offline for months as it needed a new cable (the building was just 6 or 7 years old). The high-tech carbon fiber cable that was installed had to be replaced again soon after because it had apparently "shrunk" due to the humidity in the elevator shaft. That was just ridiculous, and in the end, I couldn't wait to get out of there.

I understand the city isn't very fond of slab buildings these days, but they allow for more elevators. I had zero issues at the Lexington on Carlton St., and I have none at Manulife.

Of course, I suppose this particular building won't have as much traffic.

Don't know about that?...37 million in section 37 funds. and a couple other perks got The One 309 meters, maybe 50 million gets this its 327 meters?
, after all money talks and bullshit walks with the current city council
Let's just say, I'll be very happy here if I am proven wrong here. But in the meantime, I don't want to get my hopes up...and in doing so, warning everyone else not to either. /sigh

It's hard to believe that high-rise condos get so few elevators. I work in an office tower with 36 floors and 15 elevators.

It's hard to believe that high-rise condos get so few elevators. I work in an office tower with 36 floors and 15 elevators.
In an office, there are 5-7 people sitting in a 700 sq. ft. area. I am sure owners are not stuffing 5-7 people per unit in their condos :D

Condos and office have *very* different elevator demands. Office requires more as there are far more people commuting through the elevator system at any given time.

That said, res developers certainly do swap elevators for salable floor area on almost every project.

I don't dispute that elevator demands vary between office and condo buildings, but there are times when a good part of the condo building population needs to go to work, and the waits become unreasonable. Waiting 10-20 minutes just to leave your building when elevator maintenance is happening seems unreasonable when part of the appeal of the condo was supposed to be to live closer to work and have a quick commute.

Also, it's not my experience that offices have that many people using the elevators outside of peak times, e.g. 8:30 am to 9:00 am and from 4:30 pm to 5:15 pm. Yet the builders don't skimp on the elevators. Let's not make excuses. It's one way that corners are cut on high-rise residential condos, and it lowers the quality of life.

I don't dispute that elevator demands vary between office and condo buildings, but there are times when a good part of the condo building population needs to go work, and the waits become unreasonable. Waiting 10-20 minutes just to leave your building when elevator maintenance is happening seems unreasonable when part of the appeal of the condo was supposed to be to live closer to work and have a quick commute.

Also, it's not my experience that offices have that many people using the elevators outside of peak times, e.g. 8:30 am to 9:00 am and from 4:30 pm to 5:15 pm. Yet the builders don't skimp on the elevators. Let's not make excuses. It's one way that corners are cut on high-rise residential condos, and it lowers the quality of life.

Lunch times can be bad too.

Yes, but don't forget that office floor-plates are substantially larger than condos. Some of the towers in the Financial District are as large as 20,000 to 25,000 SF, whereas the Tall Buildings Guidelines for residential towers decree a maximum floor-plate of 750 SM (8.073 SF).

Love this proposal (and have no issue with the height) but Toronto likely isn't ready for something like this. If it does get built, would a tower this skinny require double stacked elevators? So one elevator shaft but you can exit on an even or odd numbered floor as the elevator itself has 2 floors.

Back