News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

And as for a lack of links, that's more a testament to the ability of Bombardier to keep bad news under wraps more than anything else.

Or the fact that people who are in the know are aware that there will be teething issues with new equipment. The T1s certainly didn't sprout out overnight - the number of software updates required in the first 6 months of testing was astounding - and the deliveries of the H6s took over 4 years to complete because of various issues.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I wasn't trying to say that just because a guy says something on the internet with no other proof means hes is saying the truth. I was just trying to say that Agram knew what he was saying, and not stating why he should be believed is my fault.

Because the Bathurst hill, and the portals to underground loops, are far steeper than off-the-shelf LRT vehicles can handle particularly if one vehicle has to push a disabled one bnack to the yard. This is not a hypothetical problem; there is a reason why they don't run the articulated streetcars on Spadina or St Clair. If the latter, even getting into service can get a bit sketchy.

But wasn't the solution to that more powered bogies rather than non-standard motors?

The ramps are non-standard because most LRT vehicles load at platforms, or at least raised curbs of some sort. The need for accessible boarding from street level is definitely not standard, and there is not always space for on-street or Ronces style platforms.

Europe has street trams all over the place. It seems strange that on street boarding and accessibility of a street tram is unique to Toronto. I admit that I haven't seen a picture of one put it does seem surprising.

But wasn't the solution to that more powered bogies rather than non-standard motors?

Europe has street trams all over the place. It seems strange that on street boarding and accessibility of a street tram is unique to Toronto. I admit that I haven't seen a picture of one put it does seem surprising.

Just because Toronto isn't "unique" doesn't mean that it is "standard".

And as for a lack of links, that's more a testament to the ability of Bombardier to keep bad news under wraps more than anything else.

I think we all want the TR to work but it will take some time.

I hear old stories from older workers that when the H6 cars were being offloaded parts were virtually falling off. The T1 had some issues as well, on a few occasions brakes would not release and caused huge delays. TTC at one point pulled all the T1 trains out of service till the problem was fixed.

I must say we have some amazing mechanics and engineers and once we get our hands on these trains we tweak them finally to our liking.

For the record, I'm not saying he's a liar, I just would have liked a source (if not from the internet, then where he got his info from - assuming it wouldn't cost somebody their job) of where he had heard this. If it is true though, then it not only makes Bombardier look bad, but will give Siemens an advantage when negotiating contracts in the future (probably outside of Canada, unfortunately).

For the record, I'm not saying he's a liar, I just would have liked a source (if not from the internet, then where he got his info from - assuming it wouldn't cost somebody their job) of where he had heard this. If it is true though, then it not only makes Bombardier look bad, but will give Siemens an advantage when negotiating contracts in the future (probably outside of Canada, unfortunately).

He is the source. He heard it from himself. He's been working with the new trains.

So I wonder if the TR door chimes will sound like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwNv1fxjPR4&feature=related or are they totally eliminated because of the automated messages?

Actually the Tr chimes sound exactly the same as the T-1's...also they will also be playing the new automated messages when the doors open and close. According to Canaidol...he has a TR video on youtube and you can hear a part of the chimes at the ending..he also told me that before he took the video they kept on opening and closing the doors of TR 5391-5396 and he heard many of the new door opening and closing announcements... here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5jf53At67A

If it is true though, then it not only makes Bombardier look bad, but will give Siemens an advantage when negotiating contracts in the future (probably outside of Canada, unfortunately).

No because Bombardier needs to legally meet the obligations of the contract. Teething pains of projects of this size are common. The TTC will get what it ordered as per the contract. This is why there are lawyers to word these things. If the TTC doesn't meet their delivery time-lines there are likely financial penalties in the contract. The risk to the TTC of getting lemons is near zero unless the person who was in charge of the contract was a complete noob.

Actually the Tr chimes sound exactly the same as the T-1's...also they will also be playing the new automated messages when the doors open and close. According to Canaidol...he has a TR video on youtube and you can hear a part of the chimes at the ending..he also told me that before he took the video they kept on opening and closing the doors of TR 5391-5396 and he heard many of the new door opening and closing announcements... here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5jf53At67A

Hmm You answered the chime question witht he video, but I said in my question that I already knew that there were automated messages.

You know from the video, I realize the TR makes quite a high pitched sound when at rest...

Siemens an advantage when negotiating contracts in the future (probably outside of Canada, unfortunately).

I don't think we have to worry about Siemens as they would not meet the Canadian/Ontario content requirements. Besides both Siemens and Bombardier get their parts from the same suppliers. Its not like Bombardier makes their own doors or propulsion systems. Well actually they do now as the last manufacturer went bankrupt and Bombardier hired all of their engineers.

I noticed something. The new subway cars will not have the X or the Arrow pointing down showing which side the doors will open.

Back