News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

That was exactly what I was looking for! Thank you.

lafard - Interesting, I've experienced more brokken down H6's than H5's. But it makes sense why they the H6's are in better condition, and how they are keeping the controller packs... I mean what would the buyers use them for anyway?

Last edited:
Really? That is interesting, but I thought that they weren't the best mechanically speaking...

Structurally they're fine, but mechanically they aren't. They do however share a fair number of parts with the ALRVs, which will also be scrapped soon.

The H6's are much newer, and are only a few years out of their big midlife build. More importantly, the electronics packs are newer and less prone to failure. How often are you on an H5 and the car is broken, just being dragged along for the ride? How often for H6's? Exactly. Even the T1's seem to occasionally have problems running through the acceleration sequence more than the H6's. The brake issue aside, the newer cars are the ones they'll keep for spares. In reality they've ordered more new trains than they need so there are enough T1s for spare purposes for the forseeable future.

H6s are the least reliable subway cars on the system. The H4s are a very close second.

At least with the H4s the problems seems to be only with the traction motors. With the H6s, the TTC has had issues with the control systems, trucks, traction motors, gearboxes, the M/A sets (which were replaced with invertors and still aren't reliable enough)....and there's probably more that I can't think of right now.

For work car purposes, they're keeping H4s simply because the resistive controllers are indefinitely maintainable without specialized facilities. The same is not true for the newer electronic systems which basically have to be replaced outright after they become outdated. If you read the disposal tender they seem to be hoarding the old controller packs - probably any future work cars would be converted to use them over electronics.

The control systems are the problems, not the controllers themselves. I would suspect that the controllers from the H6s would work just fine in an H4, as it is basically the same device, just newer and thus with far fewer miles on it - and works just fine on its own controlling the equipment anyways. You only need to feed it through a control system if you want to have features like regenerative braking, choppers, wheelslip control, etc.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

This article may not seem related to the new cars at first, but wait for the end.

CPCS Transcom helps tame traffic chaos in Lagos

For the Lagos light-rail project, CPCS provided the conceptual design, business strategy and preliminary engineering, and is now the adviser for the Lagos government in its negotiations with the private company that will operate the transit line. The governor of Lagos is visiting Canada next month to consider buying 15-year-old subway cars from the Toronto Transit Commission to use on the Lagos line. Until recently, CPCS did most of its African business through World Bank contracts. Now it is expanding into working directly for African governments.

What are the 15 year old subway cars are we about to sell to Nigeria for a light rail line?

What are the 15 year old subway cars are we about to sell to Nigeria for a light rail line?
The 44 H4s are 36-37 years old, and the TTC has issued a tender to have someone haul them away. The 136 H5s are 32-35 years old and to be replaced by the first batch of TRs. The 126 H6s are 22-25 years old and to be replaced by the second batch of TRs by the end of 2013. And then we have 372 T1s that are 10-16 years old.

Clearly the article is in error. Presumably they are looking at either 25 or 35-year old cars. Presumably the H6s.

The 44 H4s are 36-37 years old, and the TTC has issued a tender to have someone haul them away. The 136 H5s are 32-35 years old and to be replaced by the first batch of TRs. The 126 H6s are 22-25 years old and to be replaced by the second batch of TRs by the end of 2013. And then we have 372 T1s that are 10-16 years old.

Clearly the article is in error. Presumably they are looking at either 25 or 35-year old cars. Presumably the H6s.

It's also possible they're looking at the CLRVs -- considering the article is talking about a "light-rail" project

You're putting words in his mouth. They also don't take apart trains which they do not own without supervision Bombardier staff at very least.

I somehow doubt they have much freedom with the Toronto Rockets until the TTC has taken ownership of them.

The TR trains can not be touched my us period. The only time we have access to the trains is when they are driven on the main line and the driver is a TTC employee.

Next month there is a plan in place to start training maintenance employees how to drive these new Rockets......uuuuuuu exciting

We'll see how they do, then. I quite like the new Rockets but am a bit less confident that they'll run revenue service perfect, initially.

Further, from Facebook: "
One new Toronto Rocket train will run "out of service" on the Yonge Line with other revenue trains to test platforms, doors, chimes, speed, signals, etc. This is necessary to ensure the train functions properly when it enters revenue service.
"

and a note that they will be opening doors opposite to the platform during these trials.

Here's an excerpt from an article in the G&M:

CPCS Transcom helps tame traffic chaos in Lagos
GEOFFREY YORK
LAGOS, NIGERIA— From Thursday's Globe and Mail
Published Wednesday, Apr. 27, 2011 7:45PM EDT
Last updated Wednesday, Apr. 27, 2011 7:46PM EDT

For the Lagos light-rail project, CPCS provided the conceptual design, business strategy and preliminary engineering, and is now the adviser for the Lagos government in its negotiations with the private company that will operate the transit line. The governor of Lagos is visiting Canada next month to consider buying 15-year-old subway cars from the Toronto Transit Commission to use on the Lagos line.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...s-tame-traffic-chaos-in-lagos/article2001339/

The article then goes on to cite some unrealistic ridership figures (1.6 million per day spread across two lines) - comments???

Back