News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

The mechanics have to take the trains apart and put them back together. Each mechanic has to do that again and again until they it becomes normal for them

We usually don't take perfectly good trains apart. :D

This is not the way it is done, as for drivers well they go through a course which is done through OTC.

Two months ago it was:
... there are still major issues with them. Bombardier own engineers are at a loss as what is going on. The train still has not gone over 15 Km/h, there are propulsion issues and numerous undercarriage parts falling off.

and now it's:
We usually don't take perfectly good trains apart.

Glad to hear they are now perfect!

THe TTC seem to be making space for the new cars - there's a curent tender for "SALE AND REMOVAL OF 37 SURPLUS H-4 SUBWAY CARS."

Two months ago it was:

and now it's:

Glad to hear they are now perfect!

You're putting words in his mouth. They also don't take apart trains which they do not own without supervision Bombardier staff at very least.

I somehow doubt they have much freedom with the Toronto Rockets until the TTC has taken ownership of them.

THe TTC seem to be making space for the new cars - there's a curent tender for "SALE AND REMOVAL OF 37 SURPLUS H-4 SUBWAY CARS."

I'm trying to figure out the plan for these trains in regard to the movement of rolling stock. I know the initial goal as the TRs come online will be to replace the H-4s on the B-D Line with T-1s coming from the Yonge-University Line. Will the T-1s also replace any of the H-6s on the B-D Line? Once the H-4s are gone, I imagine the next step will be to retire the H-5s on the YUS Line. What will the subway fleet look like once all 70 trains are in service? I imagine the YUS Line will be entirely run by TRs, the Sheppard Line with T-1s housed at Davisville and the B-D Line a mix of T-1s and H-6s? Is this a fairly accurate assessment.

What is the life expectancy of the H-6s? They're arguably my favourite series, mostly becuase the brakes don't squeal like they do on the T-1s, the seats are a bit higher than on the T-5s (which, being 6'2" is nice) and they're better lit and less rattly than the H-4s.

I'm trying to figure out the plan for these trains in regard to the movement of rolling stock. I know the initial goal as the TRs come online will be to replace the H-4s on the B-D Line with T-1s coming from the Yonge-University Line. Will the T-1s also replace any of the H-6s on the B-D Line? Once the H-4s are gone, I imagine the next step will be to retire the H-5s on the YUS Line. What will the subway fleet look like once all 70 trains are in service? I imagine the YUS Line will be entirely run by TRs, the Sheppard Line with T-1s housed at Davisville and the B-D Line a mix of T-1s and H-6s? Is this a fairly accurate assessment.

What is the life expectancy of the H-6s? They're arguably my favourite series, mostly becuase the brakes don't squeal like they do on the T-1s, the seats are a bit higher than on the T-5s (which, being 6'2" is nice) and they're better lit and less rattly than the H-4s.

I would imagine that would be the case. Retire all the H-4s and H-5s, and retire as many H-6s as you can while still maintaining a full fleet of vehicles. I would imagine if they did get around to the H-6s, they would first select those that have had maintenance/performance issues first.

Now the Subways are going to be the equivalent to the Orions on the roads. T1s being the Original, and the TRs the NG

Even if for some reason they were to keep a few old trains for backup, why H6's? H5's seem to be in better condition, and they squeal even less than H6's...

Even if for some reason they were to keep a few old trains for backup, why H6's? H5's seem to be in better condition, and they squeal even less than H6's...
The tender for disposal of the H4's currently on TTC's website seems to be keeping 7 H4's for conversion for other uses.

Last edited:

Because structurally, the H6s are in the best condition.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Because structurally, the H6s are in the best condition.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Really? That is interesting, but I thought that they weren't the best mechanically speaking...

The tender for disposal of the H4's currently on TTC's website seems to be keeping 7 H4's for conversion for other uses.

Could you link me to it? I can't seem to find the specific page, it would be appreciated!

The H6's are much newer, and are only a few years out of their big midlife build. More importantly, the electronics packs are newer and less prone to failure. How often are you on an H5 and the car is broken, just being dragged along for the ride? How often for H6's? Exactly. Even the T1's seem to occasionally have problems running through the acceleration sequence more than the H6's. The brake issue aside, the newer cars are the ones they'll keep for spares. In reality they've ordered more new trains than they need so there are enough T1s for spare purposes for the forseeable future.

For work car purposes, they're keeping H4s simply because the resistive controllers are indefinitely maintainable without specialized facilities. The same is not true for the newer electronic systems which basically have to be replaced outright after they become outdated. If you read the disposal tender they seem to be hoarding the old controller packs - probably any future work cars would be converted to use them over electronics.

Back