News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

The reason the A/C was cutting-out was because only 2 cars had actual air working. The other 4 cars were cut out.
Not sure if anyone noticed but the TR was grounded today

The reason the A/C was cutting-out was because only 2 cars had actual air working. The other 4 cars were cut out.
Not sure if anyone noticed but the TR was grounded today

Grounded? Were there any immediate problems, or was the train just given a breather today?

What do you mean by turning on and off?

What I mean is that the air con unit occasionally turns off, then starting back up again. When you said something about the A/C cutting out at times, I also had found this to be a problem on the H5's. :)

Or it could be that they should have never gone out till they are 100% ready

Until you put the train on the line under real operation conditions, you will not find all the bugs during testing.

TTC found more bug than they planning on finding and time to do some fixing. What every fixes take place with the current trains will happen to the cars in Thunder Bay before they are ship to the yard.

It will take some time to fix the first 6 train here now and may move back the schedule of the 2nd train entering service.

I just hope these trains end up being more reliable than the T1s or the same. If they aren't, we will end up paying a lot more to maintain them and that will cause larger fare increases or reduced services to pay for the higher maintenance costs.

I just hope these trains end up being more reliable than the T1s or the same

Well I can count on one hand the amount of times I changed out a T1 motor....now the H5 is another thing

The TR will never be as reliable as the T1, mainly because if anything goes wrong on the TR the whole train has to be taken out of service. All this sounds simple and easy to fix, except if there are no parts in stock and the train has to be parked till they arrive.

Until you put the train on the line under real operation conditions, you will not find all the bugs during testing.

Thats why cement blocks are for. lol

The TR will never be as reliable as the T1, mainly because if anything goes wrong on the TR the whole train has to be taken out of service. All this sounds simple and easy to fix, except if there are no parts in stock and the train has to be parked till they arrive.

While probably a little more complicated, isn't there a way to detach the cars?

Also, I was wondering if it would be possible for future shipments to have high back seats comparable to those on some of the regional buses and I believe on the new streetcars? With gravy train Ford in charge, it seems unlikely it would happen. But I was wondering if it is not too late, or if the seats have already been ordered?

/
If it has no mechanical or electrical issues and is fit for service, Rail
Transportation will be operating it m-f 730-1230 and 230-730; 9-7 on weekeknds.
John Chamberlain | General Superintendent - Rail Transportation

This message sent by mobile device.

So I missed my stupid Lawrence-Donway bus on the way home from work today, and walked to Leslie to catch the 51... but it was all worth it. I got to ride the new train from Eglinton to Lawrence. I guess the AC was fixed because it was nice and cold on the train. Im not a fan of the new stop announcements, or how long it takes for the doors to open after the train comes to a stop. BUT everything else is great! I love the use of white throughout the interior as it makes the train feel much brighter, even when going through tunnels. The ride was amazingly smooth, and very quiet. Little to no screeching.

I also managed to catch the one streetcar that has AC at Union, completing my lucky day.

How are the new stop announcements different? In the video I watched they sounded the same to me.

How are the new stop announcements different? In the video I watched they sounded the same to me.

They recorded entirely new announcements. They sound more computerized, and the stations are announced differently. Its definitely not the same.

Go to 5:30 here
[video=youtube;M7WwRtL_2ys]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7WwRtL_2ys&feature=related[/video]

vs.

7:00 here
[video=youtube;Lmv9KawdK1I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmv9KawdK1I[/video]

Last edited:
Went for a lap on the new train when it first hit St George. Was a fun ride. Definitely noticed the lag in the doors, and the AC occasionally turning off, but otherwise I'm really digging the new trains. It's fun to stand in the gangways, especially on the sharper and bumpier turns, it feels like you're floating on a surfboard or something.

I'm just waiting for the first youtube video of someone skating down the length of the train, heard it talked about many times on the ride. I'm even tempted to ride my bike down it on an empty late-night trip. I know it's wrong, but at some point I'll just have to do it...

BF: I am wondering if the air conditioning is shutting off due to third rail gaps...that are more noticeable due to the heat wave and warm stations underground...

I was also thinking about how those articulated trains would be on curves...the Y-U-S line has the curves on either side of Union Station and some in spots on the University
and Spadina end of the line...luckily they are curves that are not too tight and can accommodate the long cars that the TTC TR has...

Another problem with the new TR cars is the "fixed consist"...the trouble is if one car has problems the entire train must be taken out of service...
That is not a problem as much with the older cars-which were "married pairs"...

Something I would do is board the TR train at either Downsview or Finch Stations at the rear and walk the consist length forward while the train is in motion and not too crowded...
Another thing lost is the head-end view because the TR cars have full-width cabs...

Long Island Mike

Last edited:

Back