News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

finally caught the new train today at bloor station and i must say i am impressed with it! it was indeed a very quiet ride and the brake system has improved significantly. only problem i have with the new trains are the door closing announcements, there is that delay when the doors are already closed and it says pls stand clear of doors. other than that it was a smooth ride! can't wait to ride it again!

About the delay regarding the doors opening and closing? Each time I've been on the new trains, it's taken several seconds before the doors open and close at all stops.

The doors on the TR will not open until the train has come to a COMPLETE stop, the computer has acknowledged that the train is at full stop, and the operator (driver) has put the handle in full stop, then, and only then can the guard press the doors open. Get used to it, it's not a fault or something that can be tweaked, it's a safety measure, many new subway trains worldwide are like this now.

Last edited:
The doors on the TR will not open until the train has come to a COMPLETE stop, the computer has acknowledged that the train is at full stop, and the operator (driver) has put the handle in full stop, then, and only then can the guard press the doors open. Get used to it, it's not a fault or something that can be tweaked, it's a safety measure, many new subway trains worldwide are like this now.

I was looking out the window and the train was COMPLETELY stopped. The driver needs to jam that handle to full stop and hit the doors open button. Maybe the driver should open the doors and the guard can close them rather than having the guard try and guess the status of what the driver is doing.

Get used to it, it's not a fault or something that can be tweaked, it's a safety measure, many new subway trains worldwide are like this now.

Or perhaps it's a solution in search of a problem? I find it highly doubtful that there were any incidents caused by the previous method.

Or perhaps it's a solution in search of a problem? I find it highly doubtful that there were any incidents caused by the previous method.
Makes you wonder how they deal with such issues on trains in many cities where there is only one driver rather than two. :)

Perhaps when they retrofit ATC to these early TR trains, the mechanism will change, so that door opening happens automatically when the train comes to a stop in the station.

Exactly....like putting a stop sign up in an intersection before somebody is run over, rather than waiting for something bad to happen.

Yes, I did notice that the Toronto Rocket's doors have a delayed close. I think that it is a safety feature that should be announced more articulately (no pun intended).

What do you think of our old subway cars going to Nigeria?

There were, actually.

On older equipment, the only thing that is interlocked is the traction power - the brakes are independent. Putting the trains into coast while the doors are opened can (and sometimes does) result in the car rolling.

As well, the T1s had a software issue in 2001 where a number of trains were able to pull away from the platform while the doors were still open. While Bombardier sorted out the issue and had a software fix installed on the fleet inside of 2 days, doing it the way it is done on the TRs will prevent any sort of incidents like that.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Exactly....like putting a stop sign up in an intersection before somebody is run over, rather than waiting for something bad to happen.

I'm pretty sure there are examples of unsigned intersections causing issues. Are there examples of a guard opening doors and passengers falling out?

I'm pretty sure there are examples of unsigned intersections causing issues. Are there examples of a guard opening doors and passengers falling out?

On the way to the airport yesterday the train (a T1) moved about a foot slowly with the doors open going Westbound at Keele station. A blind man was attempting to board and had his cane on the train but had not yet stepped foot onboard. I imagine boarding for them is difficult in the best of times.

If the timing was different by 5 seconds and he had one foot on the train and one off, I can see where he could have had difficulties staying upright.

So, +1 anecdotal event for this safety feature being a reasonable addition.

The implementation may suck. If it was changed so the door open button was the full stop lock in addition to opening the doors then we get the safety of breaks being applied without the delay of having 2 operators performing tasks instead of just 1.

Last edited:
On the way to the airport yesterday the train (a T1) moved about a foot slowly with the doors open going Westbound at Keele station. A blind man was attempting to board and had his cane on the train but had not yet stepped foot onboard. I imagine boarding for them is difficult in the best of times.

WTF. What time did this happen at last night? I was on my way home from the Mod Club -- around a quarter to midnight and I was on a T1 that did the same thing, but at Lansdowne!

If the timing was different by 5 seconds and he had one foot on the train and one off, I can see where he could have had difficulties staying upright.

So, +1 anecdotal event for this safety feature being a reasonable addition.

The implementation may suck. If it was changed so the door open button was the full stop lock in addition to opening the doors then we get the safety of breaks being applied without the delay of having 2 operators performing tasks instead of just 1.

Nothing is as bad as the Paris Metro.. Their passenger-operated doors open way before the train stops.

WTF. What time did this happen at last night? I was on my way home from the Mod Club -- around a quarter to midnight and I was on a T1 that did the same thing, but at Lansdowne!

Not at night. This was between 2 and 2:30pm.

I finally caught one on my way from Sheppard Station. Very sweet and smooth ride! It took me 2 stations to get from one end of the train to the other. Only one beef: I don't like the fact there is no railfan window on either end.

Back