News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Toronto Star: Wheelchair users can’t always roll onto the Rocket

The TTC is apologizing to riders with disabilities who are struggling to roll their wheelchairs onto the city’s new Toronto Rocket subway trains.

The Rockets, which cost about $1 billion in total and are being paid for by all three levels of government, include many new accessibility features, including three flip-up seats to accommodate wheelchairs, mobility devices and strollers. Decals and blue lights on the train exterior indicate the doors closest to those designated accessible areas.

But, depending on the station and the passenger loads they’re carrying, the new trains sometimes sit too high above the platform for wheelchair users to board.
TTC spokesman Brad Ross confirmed the Toronto Rocket’s door threshold is not parallel with the platform, causing some problems for people with wheelchairs and mobility devices.

“When large numbers of people disembark (the Toronto Rocket) reacts much more quickly than the (older) T1 or H cars and pumps the air suspension up … . It’s compensating to the floor height much more quickly,” said Ross.

The old T1 subways have worn wheels and tracks so they ride lower than the new trains, he said.

Are the new subway cars designed for one human operator? I know that eventually the movement of the train will be automated, but if that includes door operation, that could mean just one human would be needed, but for informational & security only. They might only be needed to take over in an emergency only, as well. Otherwise the current 2 would not be needed, just 1.

At the moment, does the door operator just sit in the back and look over the cameras or does that involve actually looking out a window?

Are the new trains in regular operation? When they first launched I saw them on a semi-regular basis, but since about the past month or so I haven't encountered them.

Are the new trains in regular operation? When they first launched I saw them on a semi-regular basis, but since about the past month or so I haven't encountered them.

Yes, they are. A couple of runs each day are now scheduled with them, and others come out as extras at various times.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I see them at least once a day now!

Didn't go a day this week without seeing on on the tracks, I was either riding in it, or it was on the otherside of the platform going in the other direction.

Rode it at least 5 times this week. - And it was a holiday shortened week.

Strange, what time of day is this? I barely get to see them...it was mostly the T1s and the H-series that were still in service. Even during rush hours, where I was hoping to catch one, I didn't get a chance ><"

On Friday, October 14th (yesterday) there were 4 Toronto Rockets in Service.
They came out during the afternoon rush. By 7:00PM they finished their runs
Except for 1 train that stayed in service until midnight. As of right now The TTC
Has 5 rockets that are in revenue operation.

The 5 Rockets in service are

5401-5406
5411-5416
5421-5426
5431-5436
5441-5446

In two weeks or so it looks like 5451-5456 will also be ready for revenue service.

Also the best way to catch a rocket is to go to either Downsview or
Finch during morning or afternoon rush hour and ask the supervisor at
Those stations if there are any rockets in service and what station they are
at. Then the supervisor should say for example, currently a rocket is northbound
At bloor and will be arriving at Finch in 20 minutes. During rush hour 47 trains are on
The YUS Line. With only 5 TR's in service it easier to ask a supervisor at Finch or Downsview. When there are 20 TR's in service then it will be much more easier to catch one which will probably be a year from now.

hopefully ppl are keepin the trains clean...it pisses me off when ppl start leaving newspapers, food wrappers, drinks, etc. on the train...i always take my stuff with me...

Yup, been on a few of them during rush hour northbound. Not a pretty site. Reminds me of a cattle car. If it is crowded, I let it go by.

Back