News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I've always wondered, why don't the new trains use all parallel seating? It doesn't make sense to me that a system strained for capacity would use perpendicular seating.

TTC explored that idea. If I recall correctly, it was rejected due to customer experience concerns. Passengers are most at comfort when sitting in the direction of travel.

TTC explored that idea. If I recall correctly, it was rejected due to customer experience concerns. Passengers are most at comfort when sitting in the direction of travel.
They tried to introduce it on the T1s, but passengers rejected it during the design phase. They tried again when designing the TRs, same thing.

They tried to introduce it on the T1s, but passengers rejected it during the design phase. They tried again when designing the TRs, same thing.
It's the same thing with buses the last seats to be taken on buse are along the sides on the ones that have it. Most people would rather stand then use them.

On Buses it might make sense, but when the majority of people riding the subway are rush hour commuters who are standing anyways it just seems unnecessary.
but if you are comuting the whole length of the line you want a seat facing the direction of travel for comfort. The SRT is the only trains in toronto to have seats on the sides of th train

How much extra capacity do you think we would gain?

Is it enough to offset the discomfort or whatever other issues may exist?

It's amazing to me that the need for a small proportion of seats facing (or sometimes facing away) from the direction of travel is seen as equally important as additional capacity.
Because some people get a form of motion sickness when sitting laterally to the direction of travel, IIRC.

Well I think that removing those seats could net room for four crush-load standing passengers and if I am correct that there are six sets per car then we could net 144 more passengers per train on a six car train which would be a pretty solid 13.3% increase over the current stated 1080 passenger capacity. And in terms of discomfort while it's obviously not ideal you only need to get shoved further into a rush hour train to see that capacity is more important (at least then) than comfort.

Crush load is far different than the rated maximum capacity of the train at the TTC's end.

The crush load capacity of a 6-car TR is in excess of 2000 people (a 6-car T1's crush capacity is 1890). The rated maximum passenger capacity is a combination of a bum in every seat plus only a couple of standees with lots of room to move around.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Still not taking 7% increase in capacity considering it's something that's been implemented in many many systems and considering current capacity issues just to make the ride less nauseating for a small percentage of riders seems counter intuitive.

Maybe to you - but apparently not to the people who actually ride them. This is something that the TTC has tried to force a number of times since the 1970s, and each time the idea has been resoundingly rejected by the riders.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I do ride the Subway quite frequently. I'm only bringing this up because I think many different ideas are going to need to be considered as ridership grows and the DRL is still pretty far away. This is just another idea on how capacity could be increased albeit admittedly barely increased.
It''s been said a few times the TTC tired it when they put the prototypes on show and poel didn't like not having forward facing seats in the trains so they put in clusters of ones that do in places where they could so they have an option. The most popular seats that poel take are the ones facing the forward facing direction.

Yup like I said it's not planned yet. They want to have line 1 and 4 running with it first. Line 1 is going to be done in sections starting with the one from St. Claire West to Vaughn Centre

The Scarborough Subway Extension will use ATC, so my understanding is that at that point the T1s will have to go, and that's one of the huge overlooked problems with the SSE--it'll necessitate dumping all of the perfectly good T1s well before their end-of-life to move the TRs onto Line 2 and buy new trains for Line 1.

Back