News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Yup like I said it's not planned yet. They want to have line 1 and 4 running with it first. Line 1 is going to be done in sections starting with the one from St. Claire West to Vaughn Centre

The Sheppard Line is getting no such signal work or upgrades.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Yes it is that's one of the reasons for putting the Toronto rocket trains on it.

Wow....where do I start....

The TRs were put on Sheppard because the YUS is now getting an ATO/ATC CBTC-based signalling system with no secondary wayside system that would allow the T1s to operate on it. Even the work cars will have to be ATO-equipped. This is not rocket science, and is well covered in the TTC's own reports.

The signal system on Sheppard is 15 years old, and has another 35 years of life in it - what sense does it make to replace it at this point in its life?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Wow....where do I start....

The TRs were put on Sheppard because the YUS is now getting an ATO/ATC CBTC-based signalling system with no secondary wayside system that would allow the T1s to operate on it. Even the work cars will have to be ATO-equipped. This is not rocket science, and is well covered in the TTC's own reports.

The signal system on Sheppard is 15 years old, and has another 35 years of life in it - what sense does it make to replace it at this point in its life?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

A couple of quick questions Dan:
When the new signalling system becomes fully operational on Line 1, YUS, will the existing signals be removed; i.e. no more green, yellow, red, amber and lunar aspects? Will the trip arms still be there?
On the Crosstown, Line 5 will there be signals in the tunnel section or will there be nothing visible to the eye? For the in-median section will they simply be operated like the streetcars on Spadina, St. Clair etc.?

Thanks as always for any insight you can share.

Isn't ATO for line 2 on the books sooner than that?

Unfunded projects don't really have completion dates. The $4.5M in federal dollars is just enough to figure out what work for Line 2 resignalling is necessary (write a tender).

So, it's on a wishlist for some unknown time in the future but is listed as a prereq for SSE. However, to have an end date you need to have a start date and a cheque.

The feds will come forward with significantly more money in the near future but since they cannot make agreements with the municipality, you need the province onboard with that piece of work and the province may prefer the federal money go to Metrolinx components.

Last edited:
A couple of quick questions Dan:
When the new signalling system becomes fully operational on Line 1, YUS, will the existing signals be removed; i.e. no more green, yellow, red, amber and lunar aspects? Will the trip arms still be there?

Admittedly I haven't been fully versed on the new signal system, but I've been led to believe that all signals and trip arms will be removed.

On the Crosstown, Line 5 will there be signals in the tunnel section or will there be nothing visible to the eye? For the in-median section will they simply be operated like the streetcars on Spadina, St. Clair etc.?

The in-street operation of the line will be much like the existing PROW of the streetcar lines, although with more/better integration with the automotive signals - at least, that's what every TTC planner that I've ever talked to has referred to it as. As for the tunnelled section, while I could have sworn that I'd read that they will be using BBD's CityFlow 650 system I can't find any references to a decision actually having been made as to the vendor.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Now they have its version of a ticker display thing in the window.
They are for exterior announcement of the line and destination of train it's being discussed in the general TTC third as they are also outfitting the T1's with it too. It will probably be ready by the end of the year once the TYSSE opens up.

Most of the Toronto Rocket trains are now being updated with the new LED message boards on the sides and they are going to have a software update for the station anocments for the extension sometime between now and the end of the year.

I suspect we'll be getting more deliverys of Toronto Rockets in the relatively near future (5 to 10 years). TTC doesn't own enough train sets to run Line 1 at maximum frequency, Line 2 will need a totally new fleet within the decade, and the Line 2 extension and Relief Line will require the TTC to expand its fleet for them to open within 10 years.

TTC management is quite pleased with the TRs, and resuming production will be the most expedient means of getting the TTC the trains it'll need.

Back