News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

They should've made the new trains red as a homage to the old models.

you can't paint stainless steel. they'll need to use massive red coloured decals, which in it self is a bit retarded.

Instead of the subway cars, I would not have minded seing the cream and marroon paint scheme on the new streetcars.

I am a bit of a retro fan. That probably explains my taste. But on the subway cars, I think cold grey steel is best.

ps. It's a myth that stainless steel can't be painted. It can. It's just expensive. See aircraft and automotive painting.

I don't think the colours have been chosen for the new streetcars yet, so there's still time. I think the current CLRV colour scheme looks very dated.

I'd love all black, with some small hints of white or red. Though, I don't think that would pair well with side and rear advertisments.

But for the subway cars, I'm only concerend about the interior appearance.

Its a welded body, as opposed to the rivets used in the H and T's, which gives it a much more slick look. Aluminum is extremely difficult to weld, it's expensive, slow, and easy to screw up. Aluminum melts at a very low temperature and can oxidize pretty severely (almost like burning) under higher-temperature welding. So yea, it would make sense if it was stainless steel.. though I'm not sure on that myself

Steel subways? What is this, the fifties?

The TTC was an industry leader back in the day when we were the first ones to switch to the aluminum chassis with the main benefit being the reduction in weight.

The original steel cars were painted to stop rusting, but because aluminum doesn't rust, it doesn't need to be painted (ie money saved).

I'm not sure if that would be entirely correct then.

Transit Toronto reports that the Toronto Rocket Cars are Aluminum and Steel. I would assume there's no way that the subway would be only a steel carbody as the weight of the car would then be immense.

The weight of a Gloucester (steelies) car was 85,525 lbs
T1s (alum and steel) are 72,960 lbs
The T1s are substantially larger cars than the Gloucesters (74 ft vs 55 ft), this works out to be 985 lbs/ft vs 1555 lbs/ft. The TRs (assuming similar length to T1 and weight/ft of the Gloucesters) would be 115,070 lbs.

TR: http://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5511.shtml

T1 http://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5505.shtml

The frame of the TR is steel, but the skin (body) is SS.

Even SS has issues went come to welding. I forget what type the SS is, but is stronger than Aluminum and lighter than Steel.

SS is an alloy of steel and chromium, about 11% or chromium. Welding of stainless steel is very possible through mig/tig welding, the key point is that the welds remain strong because the metal doesn't nearly vaporize or combust under the welding temperature, unlike aluminum.

Back